Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:16 AM

883 posts, read 3,720,534 times

Advertisements

W are looking to move from NYC to the either the West Hills or Cold Spring Hills neighborhoods of Huntington. It seems the majority of the houses in these areas are in the South Huntington school district. Does anyone know if these areas would go to Countrywood or Oakwood primary schools? Are there any major differences between these 2 schools for grades K-2? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 11:57 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with West Hills

For those who may not be familiar with West Hills:

West Hills is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southwest part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County, along the Nassau/Suffolk County line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of West Hills in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor and the Hamlet of Huntington Station; on the east by the Hamlet of Huntington Station and Hamlet of South Huntington; on the south by the Hamlet of Melville; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Woodbury in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County (the Suffolk/Nassau County line and the Huntington/Oyster Bay Town line).

West Hills is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of West Hills have a "Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724", "Huntington, NY 11743", "Huntington Station, NY 11746", or "Melville, NY 11747" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 12-11-2007, 12:31 PM

Default So am I understanding correctly...West Hills actually has 4 zip codes? How confusing. Is Cold Spring Hills the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
For those who may not be familiar with West Hills:

West Hills is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southwest part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County, along the Nassau/Suffolk County line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of West Hills in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor and the Hamlet of Huntington Station; on the east by the Hamlet of Huntington Station and Hamlet of South Huntington; on the south by the Hamlet of Melville; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Woodbury in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County (the Suffolk/Nassau County line and the Huntington/Oyster Bay Town line).

West Hills is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of West Hills have a "Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724", "Huntington, NY 11743", "Huntington Station, NY 11746", or "Melville, NY 11747" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
So am I understanding correctly...West Hills actually has 4 zip codes? How confusing. Is Cold Spring Hills the same?

Old 12-11-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
So am I understanding correctly...West Hills actually has 4 zip codes?
Yup, and none of them have the "West Hills" name.

Quote:
How confusing.
This might be of some help:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...where-you.html

Old 12-11-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Is Cold Spring Hills the same?
I'm double-checking with my source at the Suffolk County Planning Department, but my thinking is that Cold Spring Hills is a neighborhood in the Hamlet of West Hills (in that part of the Hamlet of West Hills that has a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address).

For the NYS definition of city, town, village, hamlet and postal zone:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html

Old 12-11-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Thanks for helping!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I'm double-checking with my source at the Suffolk County Planning Department, but my thinking is that Cold Spring Hills is a neighborhood in the Hamlet of West Hills (in that part of the Hamlet of West Hills that has a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address).

For the NYS definition of city, town, village, hamlet and postal zone:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html
Glad I'm not the only one confused!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:44 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
Cold Spring Hills is entirely in West Hills, I always assumed it had a Cold Spring Harbor zip code (hence "Cold Spring Hills") but I just looked it up and I'm wrong..it's Huntington 11743. It's the neighborhood that was built on or around the Oheka Castle property, north of Jericho Turnpike...you can't miss the big gate at the corner of Avery Rd. The other parts of West Hills are a more residential area to the east of Cold Spring Hills and the Sweet Hollow/Mount Misery area south of 25 which is on Jayne's Hill - highest point on LI.

On Oakwood Rd. there's a historic marker showing where the West Hills post office used to be (in 1826), just noticed it the other day...I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say every location in West Hills would go to Oakwood, Countrywood is all the way on the other side of 110.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Cold Spring Hills is entirely in West Hills, I always assumed it had a Cold Spring Harbor zip code (hence "Cold Spring Hills") but I just looked it up and I'm wrong..it's Huntington 11743. It's the neighborhood that was built on or around the Oheka Castle property, north of Jericho Turnpike...you can't miss the big gate at the corner of Avery Rd. The other parts of West Hills are a more residential area to the east of Cold Spring Hills and the Sweet Hollow/Mount Misery area south of 25 which is on Jayne's Hill - highest point on LI.

On Oakwood Rd. there's a historic marker showing where the West Hills post office used to be (in 1826), just noticed it the other day...I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say every location in West Hills would go to Oakwood, Countrywood is all the way on the other side of 110.
Your response is very, very helpful!! Thank you so much!!! Do you happen to know what the local perception is of the West Hills/ Cold Spring Hills area?

Old 12-11-2007, 03:44 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
Quote:
Your response is very, very helpful!! Thank you so much!!! Do you happen to know what the local perception is of the West Hills/ Cold Spring Hills area?
I would assume most people associate Cold Spring Hills with the gold coast due to it's connection with Oheka Castle and the fact that there's a country club right smack in the middle of the neighborhood. It more closely resembles a Nassau County north shore neighborhood than anything to the east.

The rest of West Hills is less known, although probably any teenager on LI could tell you where it is if you referred to it as "Mount Misery", which is the name of a road in the area and what that part of West Hills is referred to colloquially. Since it has that name and there's an old cemetery on Sweet Hollow Road, there's tons of ghost stories about it....although the real etymology is probably more closely related to the fact that it's on a very steep hill and getting up the road was miserable in the days of horse drawn carriages. It's very rural for the area with narrow, curvy streets and plenty of wooded property.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I would assume most people associate Cold Spring Hills with the gold coast due to it's connection with Oheka Castle and the fact that there's a country club right smack in the middle of the neighborhood. It more closely resembles a Nassau County north shore neighborhood than anything to the east.

The rest of West Hills is less known, although probably any teenager on LI could tell you where it is if you referred to it as "Mount Misery", which is the name of a road in the area and what that part of West Hills is referred to colloquially. Since it has that name and there's an old cemetery on Sweet Hollow Road, there's tons of ghost stories about it....although the real etymology is probably more closely related to the fact that it's on a very steep hill and getting up the road was miserable in the days of horse drawn carriages. It's very rural for the area with narrow, curvy streets and plenty of wooded property.
Thanks for the info!! I'm going to have to find some of those ghost stories...I love spooky things!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island