Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:23 PM

752 posts, read 1,464,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
He's upset because he is not upper middle class, lives in a drug and crime infested neighborhood and is using the race card as an excuse for his shortcomings.

upper middle class has nothing to do with race. People from EVERY background have found success in our country and can afford to live well.

It amuses me how the entitlement section of our society rationalize that they must be a victim or it is someone else keeping them down instead of looking in the mirror and realizing that they have kept themselves down.
You assume alot.

But then I'm not burdened with every intricate detail
about every single person I have never met
and every location I have never been to.

You must work for Newsday.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaxtreme View Post
I live on Farmingville and love my neighborhood.

Sorry...This thread sucks
I am right there with you, I almost bought a beautiful house there in a really nice neighborhood. That deal fell through and I found a house in Mastic Beach. Same reputation and I personally have never seen anything deserving of it.

Some people have no feelings

Old 09-08-2009, 06:43 PM

292 posts, read 820,893 times
I think everyone is missing the OP's point - he is obviously looking for a certain type of town based on the ones he originally listed. Are there exceedingly wealthy people in Massapequa? Certainly. Are they still the "dems,dese, and dose" type of people? Yes. As Crooks said - solidly working class. Maybe wealthy, very wealthy, but it's not WASP-Y, old money kind of wealth, it's not blue blood wealth, it's not strongly white-collar wealth. I believe based on the towns he originally listed, these are the kinds of towns he is looking for.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:54 PM

44 posts, read 135,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Why do more people prefer the 'crime-ridden' 'drug-infested' Huntington Bay area over Mastic Beach?
I'm sorry, but the idea that sleepy Village of Huntington Bay is "crime ridden" and "drug infested" is simply ludicrous. The tiny enclave has its own police department that is extremely attentive to the safety and security of its residents. Anywhere along the shoreline in Huntington is beyond safe and secure (CSH, Halesite, Centerport, etc...). This is one of the many reasons people choose to live choose to live here.

I agree, the area could use more diversity, but we are moving in that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post

If you said 500,000-750,000 I would say start looking in Huntington, Northport, Cold Spring Harbor maybe Lloyd Harbor.
I doubt you can find anything in CSH for under 750K. Definitely not Lloyd Harbor.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGolf View Post
I'm sorry, but the idea that sleepy Village of Huntington Bay is "crime ridden" and "drug infested" is simply ludicrous. The tiny enclave has its own police department that is extremely attentive to the safety and security of its residents. Anywhere along the shoreline in Huntington is beyond safe and secure (CSH, Halesite, Centerport, etc...). This is one of the many reasons people choose to live choose to live here.

I agree, the area could use more diversity, but we are moving in that direction.

I doubt you can find anything in CSH for under 750K. Definitely not Lloyd Harbor.
I grew up there, lived there for 14 years. First week we were there they broke into my mothers volvo and took the radio in the driveway. The private police force on Vinyard road told us to call suffolk county 2nd precinct.
I believe Jay Verming was an officer then, Now I think he might be the judge, I dont remember.
The other cops at the time were ameil and corey, dont know if they are still there.
I they used to come to my friends garage and chat with us while we worked on cars down near the beach. He had a camaro and I had a Nova
The kids used to run the neighborhood at night, endless coolers of stolen beer at the beach and lots of booze from daddys liquor cabinet every weekend.
I lived on soundview road and the new owners have since put a huge edition on the house where a sun porch used to be.
one road over and I wont name it, there was a kid who sold coke and pot,
Lets call him sean.
Another kid up the street in the other direction used to comb the neighborhood for open garages to steal mountain bikes for coke,
hell the people next door gave him the key to feed the cat and he robbed them blind while they were on vacation
to get more money for coke.
Dont tell me that its not there, I watched it happen.
You just dont see it.

You may be right about cold spring harbor and Lloyd harbor, Those were the prices when my mother was looking there about 15 years ago.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:38 PM

44 posts, read 135,264 times
A handful of "bad" neighborhood kids does not make an area crime and drug "infested." Huntington Bay is probably one of the safest communities in the country. I'm sure most people who live in affluent suburban neighborhoods anywhere have similar stories. As I said, I've never been to Mastic Beach, but am sure there are similarly rotten kids living there drinking beer and smoking pot.

My home in Cold Spring Hills was burglarized in the late 70s and in the mid 90s the headlamps and airbags were stolen out of my son's car as it sat in our driveway overnight! Does that make CS Hills "crime ridden?" Hardly, not! Take a walk through parts of Bedford Stuyvesant or, more locally, Huntington Station to see what crime ridden really means and what true drug infestation does to communities.

Last edited by LIGolf; 09-08-2009 at 07:48 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
A handful of "bad" neighborhood kids does not make an area crime and drug "infested." Huntington Bay is probably one of the safest communities in the country. I'm sure most people who live in affluent suburban neighborhoods anywhere have similar stories. As I said, I've never been to Mastic Beach, but am sure there are similarly rotten kids living there drinking beer and smoking pot.

My home in Cold Spring Hills was burglarized in the late 70s and in the mid 90s the headlamps and airbags were stolen out of my son's car as it sat in our driveway overnight! Does that make CS Hills "crime ridden?" Hardly, not! Take a walk through parts of Bedford Stuyvesant or, more locally, Huntington Station to see what crime ridden really means and what true drug infestation does to communities.
I never said it was crime ridden. I think it's a beautiful neighborhood with a beautiful view of the bay. Tennis courts and a nice beach. I just said I witnessed more crime and drugs there than here. It's here too, its everywhere... I just havent seen it yet. and it wasnt a handful of neighborhood kids. It was all linked to to that drug bust on flower hill road. A man named Raymond who was at the time the largest cocaine supplyer on Long Island.
As a matter of fact 3 arrestst were kids I knew in Huntington Bay Bay Hills area, but there were over 28 people arrested all over Long Island on the same morning.
Just because you dont see it
doesnt mean its not there
thats all I have ever said.

Last edited by minesbroken; 09-08-2009 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 09:18 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,758,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
First of all I didnt bring race and ethnic backround into it, You did.

Second... I was just making a point, its not the watch or the car or the resturant but usually when your looking for a house then you start with the price. If you said 500,000-750,000 I would say start looking in Huntington, Northport, Cold Spring Harbor maybe Lloyd Harbor. 750 and up Maybe Lloyd Neck, Woodbury Oyster Bay is nice...Maybe the Hamptons? These Area's I know to be Solid Upper Middle Class. Where do you live? Whats your commute like? Do you drive or take the train? Do you have kid's? School district important to you?
See I said all that without bashing mastic
People live there,and theyre on this forum every day.
People should use common sense.
Excuse me, but on your post 15 you wrote the following:
Quote:
For those of you that dont understand, Solid upper middle class implies: spending enough money to land in an all white neighborhood with no racial or economic diversity. Because you wouldnt want to live next to the black people, spanish people or the white trash. I chose my neighborhood after careful weighing of my options but when I drove through one day and saw a white, black and spanish kid playing together it was a lock. I look forward to the day where color doesnt matter. Thinking like yours is holding us back. It shouldnt be tolerated anymore.
It was in reply to my post 14 in which I used the term "racial diversity".

You have yet to answer my question:

Why do most people prefer the Three Villages over Mastic, or why do they choose the Huntington Bay area over Mastic?

To answer your questions:
Three Villages
Commute 1.75 miles, walk or bike on nice days, telecommute when I am at my 2nd home out-of-state.
Have children and yes, school district is very important.

You're happy in Mastic and that's what matters -- not what others think about the area or about it's reputation -- whether or not deserved.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,758,123 times
Quote:

Hi LIGolf,

My quote was a tad sarcastic and directed to minesbroken who suggested that Huntington Bay had crime and drug problems in an attempt to make Mastic look better. I know several different families in Huntington Bay and the worst problem anyone I know of there has had was with a cleaning woman lifting some jewelery.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Excuse me, but on your post 15 you wrote the following:

It was in reply to my post 14 in which I used the term "racial diversity".

You have yet to answer my question:

Why do most people prefer the Three Villages over Mastic, or why do they choose the Huntington Bay area over Mastic?

To answer your questions:
Three Villages
Commute 1.75 miles, walk or bike on nice days, telecommute when I am at my 2nd home out-of-state.
Have children and yes, school district is very important.

You're happy in Mastic and that's what matters -- not what others think about the area or about it's reputation -- whether or not deserved.
None of that was the point. and I wasnt asking you I was asking the OP.
None of this had anything to do with you, until you chimed in. All I wanted was for people not to bash my neighborhood because its unfair and insensative to the people who live in my neighborhood and all the other towns mentioned.
thats all.
Your question has nothing to do with the point, I wasnt bashing huntington bay I was talking about my experience there. I dont care if you dont believe me. I liked it there I just saw more drugs and crime there than here. I didnt say my area was better.
I didnt even say my area was solid middle upper class.
it was clearly you that brought race into the conversation in your post 14
you didnt just mention "racial diversity" you implied that it was a reason for not being solid upper middle class.
what does that mean?

Quote:
spidaman wrote, "What are some solid Upper-Middle class neigborhoods out here on Long Island? " (Bold face type is the OP's emphasis.)

Farmingville and Mastic Beach might have some nice areas mixed in, but they are not 'solid upper-Middle' class neighborhoods. Those of us who live on LI know that the two aforementioned areas are ethinically, economically, and racially diverse; indicating that the areas are not 'solid Upper-middle' class is not prejuidiced.
I merely commented on your post ( I did take it to the next level to make a point)

I'm glad that your happy with your neighborhood. I am happy with mine.
Be more careful what you say about someones neighborhood. If for nothing else you may hurt someones feelings.

Last edited by minesbroken; 09-08-2009 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island