Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The problem is that all these terms get mucked up in the emotion of the subject.
Agreed !

Quote:
Profiling has to do with the authorities pulling you out of line and searching you based only on the fact that you look middle eastern.
This specific scenario.... Happens a lot more than you think.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:13 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Agreed !

This specific scenario.... Happens a lot more than you think.
Did I say that it didn't?

A lot of things that I've heard people call "racism" aren't racism either. If someone says "I don't lack salsa music because they don't speak English" that isn't "racist"...it's a matter of taste or at worst "ethnocentrism".

Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,870 times
Quote:
Put the budweiser down, it's too early to be this dopey.
I dont drink.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
actually, those who hire illegals arent the problem. it goes alot furthur than that.
The employers attract them because they pay them $$$. That's a pretty big draw.

Than what is going wrong in America as per your theory that people from other countries feel entitled to cheat the immigration and tax laws that is NOT related to employers paying them $$$ under the table?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
I dont have any issues with hispanics or any other race. I do have a problem with people entering the country illegally, I do have a problem with illegal labor forces that dont pay taxes, I do have a problem with catering to two languages, People move here and think they dont need to learn english, I wouldnt move to Italy and not learn italian. I wouldnt expect them to change everything because I dont want to learn italian. Personally I think they should go door to door checking social security numbers and if you dont have one you get a free plane ticket. I think we should heal this country first then help everyone else. Right now the US is like that first time home buyer that decided to renovate every room at the same time and ran out of money... Now its just a damn mess and nobody knows where to begin the clean up.

I believe that part of this animosity may come from the rediculous waste of taxpayer dollars on people that dont pay any taxes, On depot road in Huntington station they spent millions of dollars and built a building for Illegal Immigrants to wait for Illegal work with a day care center where our tax dollars take care of their children while they go cheat the government. Why can a non tax paying illegal alien go into a medical facility and get fixed up for free but, Someone who was born here and pays taxes has to have insurance? Send them home or give them social security numbers so they can pay taxes...dont care which. But hiding behind liberal rights and doing nothing isnt working.
There are so many things wrong with this I cant begin to count them.
Wake up people.
When illegal aliens (of any race or nationality) get better treatment to the point that they are ALLOWED AND ENCOURAGED TO BREAK LAWS than the TAX PAYING CITIZENS OR PERMANENT RESIDENTS, then something is very wrong.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The employers attract them because they pay them $$$. That's a pretty big draw.

Than what is going wrong in America as per your theory that people from other countries feel entitled to cheat the immigration and tax laws that is NOT related to employers paying them $$$ under the table?
actually, its the homeowners who want the cheapest contractor THUS the contractors must find the cheapest workers. too bad theres no union on long island.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:37 PM

by all means, Im not saying hiring illegals is right BUT they have to work when here and they need the money. I would rather see them work than not work, rob, steal or possibly sell drugs. of course, they can always join gangs.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:47 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Look, I am an immigrant ; been here, over 20 years and am from Europe. BUT the difference is that I stayed here, made a life for myself here, didnt have children until I could afford them, didnt walk the streets begging for MY rights, didnt beg from the government.

BUT the difference between the immigrants these days is that they want everything for nothing, want to be treated like an American Citizen but meanwhile are breaking the laws, looking for the easy street. It is not easy to be a immigrant, but if you work hard, stay out of trouble, dont beg from teh governement and proove that you are willing to work your way up here.

If you ask anyone in the Pat/Med school district ; the illegal immigrants there who are children, parade around saying they dont need a license, dont need insurance etc. Now what law abiding citizen would not be angry if you saw this day in day out and nothing being done about it.

The Reverend that was on the news last night didnt speak english ; his son translated for him. This is awful ; it is an english speaking country ; most people that come from across the pond learn the language very quickly and can speak it better than us ; How come the illegals that come from South of the border cannot do the same thing!!!

Old 09-03-2009, 02:24 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Default !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Look, I am an immigrant ; been here, over 20 years and am from Europe. BUT the difference is that I stayed here, made a life for myself here, didnt have children until I could afford them, didnt walk the streets begging for MY rights, didnt beg from the government.

BUT the difference between the immigrants these days is that they want everything for nothing, want to be treated like an American Citizen but meanwhile are breaking the laws, looking for the easy street. It is not easy to be a immigrant, but if you work hard, stay out of trouble, dont beg from teh governement and proove that you are willing to work your way up here.

If you ask anyone in the Pat/Med school district ; the illegal immigrants there who are children, parade around saying they dont need a license, dont need insurance etc. Now what law abiding citizen would not be angry if you saw this day in day out and nothing being done about it.

The Reverend that was on the news last night didnt speak english ; his son translated for him. This is awful ; it is an english speaking country ; most people that come from across the pond learn the language very quickly and can speak it better than us ; How come the illegals that come from South of the border cannot do the same thing!!!
This is what happens when you have overwhelming numbers. The rate of immigration we have now is more than ever in our history. Only in one decade, 1900-1910, did we have numbers anything close to the number of LEGAL immigrants that we have now. Add on top of that the millions of illegals, and the fact that a majority of those immigrants all speak the same language, and you have a block of people now large and powerful enough to say that others should adapt to their ways, not vice versa.

Not that there's anything "evil" about that..but it also shouldn't be anything "evil" to say that maybe it shouldn't happen (RACIST!!!!!)

Old 09-03-2009, 02:35 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Links? I am out of state and do not have access to ABC NY Ch 7.

Suffolk has been demonized since early on when Farmingville gained notoriety for being a haven for illegals. People are accused of being 'anti-Hispanic' if they are anti-illegal immigration.
I do not think people who are against illegal immigration can be considered anti-hispanic, it's 2 different things. I have no problem with people of other races, but what I do have a problem with is that I have to pay taxes and the illegals do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island