Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 06:43 AM

58 posts, read 229,907 times

Advertisements

So, I visited Amityville the other day and looked at some houses. I stayed away from North Amityville, as suggested. People suggested I stay south of Montauk Hwy, and it was clear that south of there was a very nice part of town. However, from Montauk to a little bit north of the train tracks, but still in the village, seemed like a perfectly nice area as well.

In my price range, I looked at a couple houses south of Montauk but they were tiny. I also looked at a few houses in that are in between and they were nicer houses.

My question is: how far north of Montauk is too far north?

One house I looked at was about 1 block north of Sunrise highway (right near Broadway ). The immediate area seemed nice and quiet. Anyone here familiar with that area? I didn't get a chance to explore north of it much. How quickly does it get sketchy?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 01:48 PM

7 posts, read 85,392 times
Why Amityville, if you don't mind me asking? I live in Wantagh which is very nice and then there are Massapequa, Seaford, Merrick which are all really nice towns. The town I mentioned are neighboring and are about 5 to 15 minutes away from Amiti. They are still on the south shore of LI.
Where are u moving from?

Old 04-15-2007, 09:40 PM

58 posts, read 229,907 times
No specific reason why amityville, other than it looked nice and had houses in our price range.

Would you recommend those other towns over Amityville? Where would it be wise to concentrate my search? We're looking at the lower end of the price range, but I'd like to just talk about which areas to avoid and which areas to concentrate on and then I can look to see what's in my price range.

As far as the original question, do you know if that's a decent area? How soon does it get iffy when you go north of sunrise?

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:11 AM

991 posts, read 4,619,706 times
If you are not concerned about school districts Amity Harbor and Copiague Harbor are nice. Wantagh and Massapequa are excellent schhols but more pricer if you need a good school district I would choose those, if not, my friends Mom lives in Amity Harbor and it is beautiful.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:36 AM

267 posts, read 1,141,651 times
OK - as far as your question about how far north of Sunrise does it get sketchy - the answer is right after sunrise.

Amity harbor and copiague harbor are nice. Massapequa and wantaugh are nice as well.
Copiague - stay south of sunrise as well; south of montauk better if you can afford it.
Again, stay away from E. Massaququa (anything near Clocks Blvd or County Line rd).
Wantaugh is pretty much nice all around. Although south wantaugh and Wantaugh woods are pricey.
Seaford has some really nice areas as well.

Actually, you might want to check out Lindenhurst. You can get a nice house south of Montauk for a pretty good price and the schools (if you are intrested) are better than the copiague or amityvill districts.

I grew up in that area - you can pm me if you have any other questions.
Jennifer

Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM

991 posts, read 4,619,706 times
Lindenhurst is better than the other two. My cousin lives there and is happy with the schools.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:34 AM

7 posts, read 47,063 times
Default we love it here

we live in an upper middle class part of amityville village and LOVE it....it is beautiful, the town always has activities and parades and it is very political......many wealthy people live here.........the homes south are beautiful......et a home that you luv and can afford...the school district is on the up for the elementary schools.......and hopefully soon the high school....we LOVE IT here

Old 06-03-2017, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 987 times
Moved from the city to amity harbor 2 years ago after a friend recommended. Even though people discuss other better neighborhoods, yes I am sure there are and all depends on who your neighbors are ... I have amazing neighbors that been here a long time and always go out of the way to help if needed. My step daughter goes to Copiague high school and started 9th grade there and she loves it and even though it's mixed most kids are geared to learn and do well. At least the ones she hangs out with.... As with any school you have good and bad and my son goes to Staten Island in a good school system and most kids are screw ups there.

Even though my taxes are not the cheapest they are definitely not bad compared to some neighborhoods mentioned on this tread and trust me those bills come in quick.

So, for those that do not live in this neighborhood and only seen a street or two I guess you can keep on making suggestions. I have the beach less than a block away, a great park with summer concerts 4 blocks away and a close knit community that makes everyone feel like family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island