Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 PM

58 posts, read 229,839 times

Advertisements

Out family is considering moving to this area. Are there parts of these towns that we would be wise to avoid (crime-wise, safety-wise)? What parts would that be?

And realistically, what is the commute like into midtown manhattan?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 07:36 PM

Bump.

Anyone?

Old 04-10-2007, 08:37 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,144 times
If you are going to Amityville, I would stay south of Montauk Hwy - maybe go into Amity Harbor. Do not go into N. Amityville, it is more run down and has more crime. As far as Massapequa, most parts of Mass are ok, but stay away from E Massapequa - for same reasons as N Amityville. Stay far away from anything near County line rd or Clocks Blvd.
South Massapequa is really nice and can be expensive by the water. Whatever you do, make sure you are in Massapequa school district if you have or plan to have children.
Not sure about the commute to NYC, as I never had to really go into the city. But if I had to say, I would guess about 45-45 minutes by LIRR - but I could be totally off here.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:43 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whome? View Post
Out family is considering moving to this area. Are there parts of these towns that we would be wise to avoid (crime-wise, safety-wise)? What parts would that be?

And realistically, what is the commute like into midtown manhattan?

Thanks.
I would say Massapequa.

May I ask...why did you narrow it down to these 2 areas? Maybe there are other options that would give you more of a selection.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I would say Massapequa.

May I ask...why did you narrow it down to these 2 areas? Maybe there are other options that would give you more of a selection.
Thanks for the response. I choose those two mostly from reading posts on this forum and searching real estate listing. I'd love to hear about more options. Any ideas?

Also, Minnie, thanks for the response.

Last edited by Whome?; 04-10-2007 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: Giving thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 06:26 AM

44 posts, read 234,198 times
The commute (by LIRR) would be closer to an hour into Penn Station. If these two communities are your choices, Massapequa Park (north of Sunrise Highway) would be the least expensive alternative. Amityvile and Massapequa/Massapequa Park south of Merrick Road can run into the high hundred thousands and above.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:46 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whome? View Post
Thanks for the response. I choose those two mostly from reading posts on this forum and searching real estate listing. I'd love to hear about more options. Any ideas?

Also, Minnie, thanks for the response.
Well, is cost the main driver? Do you want to be on the South Shore?

I mean...Wantagh, Seaford, Bellmore, Merrick are all nice South Shore towns. Of course, closer to the water means more money.

Of the entire group, I would say Amityville schools are easily the worst. Not sure where you are with kids, etc. but that would likely be a major driver...even with no kids of kids in private school...the better the SD the more valuable and desirable the neighborhood.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:02 AM

16 posts, read 60,440 times
i live on the south shore bohemia.i am in connetquot school district. very high rated. i am close to ronkonkoma train station,l.i.e., southern state pkwy and sunrise hwy. my home is for sale on www.forsalebyowner.com/20858048. we love the area. we are relocating to take care of mom since dad died in january. great place to live and raise a family on the south shore.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:53 AM

It doesn't have to be on the south shore. Our deciding factors are: safe, affordable, and a sane commute (affordable and commute are relative, naturally, so lectures about how the NY area is not affordable or how an hour commute is not sane are not needed).

Our son is 4 months old, so schools are not a concern for us at the moment.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:23 PM

I anyone has any thoughts about these towns, or any other towns that are as safe and affordable within a similar commuting distance (or shorter), I'd really love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island