Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 PM

15 posts, read 80,999 times

Advertisements

After reading all the comments about places such as Massapequa and Amityville, I had to send an honest and truthful message. I grew up in Massapequa on the water. Yes, it is beautiful and the Massapequa School District is good. Please believe me when I tell you that it has it share of drugs and crimes going on as well. It is just never heard about!
Amityville Harbor is beautiful as well. The school district is not one of the best, but alot of the stuff that is going on there is going on at other schools. Massapequa is not a diverse school at all. Amityville has a mix, but a small white population.
If you can afford the big beautiful house and the taxes that go along with it, then great...Massapequa and Amityville Harbor are great places to live.
The "bad side" of Amityville does have nice, well kept homes. Those of you who think it is the "ghetto" would never know because you don't leave your bubble.
The bottom line is that every town has good and bad in it. You need to research and explore the town on your own. If you can afford the house and you are comfortable in the neighboorhood than that is all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 7,000 times
I am currently looking for an apartment for myself, my boyfriend and 7 year old son. One of the areas I was looking into is Massapequa Park. We are a multicultural family each having a mixture of nationalities and of course I want to make sure that this will not be an issue for my son. According to a website that I had visited, Massapequa Park's public schools are predominately white
Massapequa Park Schools, Public & Private Schools in Massapequa Park, New York / NY
which is not a problem for me. I grew up in Lindenhurst which at the time there were only a handful of "people of color" other than myself. I never really had a problem with racism while there. Can anyone tell me if they think my son will run into trouble in the schools there since the percentage of minorities is so incredibly small? Any input would be appreciated

Old 08-08-2007, 05:08 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
I would certainly hope not.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:33 PM

549 posts, read 2,194,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAnTeL2482 View Post
I am currently looking for an apartment for myself, my boyfriend and 7 year old son. One of the areas I was looking into is Massapequa Park. We are a multicultural family each having a mixture of nationalities and of course I want to make sure that this will not be an issue for my son. According to a website that I had visited, Massapequa Park's public schools are predominately white
Massapequa Park Schools, Public & Private Schools in Massapequa Park, New York / NY
which is not a problem for me. I grew up in Lindenhurst which at the time there were only a handful of "people of color" other than myself. I never really had a problem with racism while there. Can anyone tell me if they think my son will run into trouble in the schools there since the percentage of minorities is so incredibly small? Any input would be appreciated
Honestly I do not think anyone can guarantee you would not, but I truly hope it would not happen.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 14,256 times
Massapequa is bassicly divieded into four shool districts.

1 Amityville, which includes East Massapequa
2. Farmingdale, parts of north and Massapequa Park.
3. Plainedge, parts of Massapequa and North Massapequa.
4. Massapequa

1 and 2, have diverse student populations and low test scores. Higher crime rates.
3. Working middle class community, largely white (over 95%) decent schools. No real industrial base so property taxes are alittle higher.

4. Working middle to upper middle class community, decent business community so taxes alittle lower.

If I were shopping I would try to stay with 3 or 4 as far as school districts go.
The only area in Massapequa schools that I would activly avoid, is directly bordering the Massapequa Mall, too much property crime reported.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:46 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,429 times
Check your facts. Farmingdale school test scores are comparable to both Massapequa and Plainedge. And the crime rate is no higher than surrounding areas. The district not only includes Massapequa, Massapequa Park, North Massapequa, Farmingdale and South Farmingdale, it also draws from North Amityville in Suffolk County.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,881 times
Default Amity Harbor

Im from Amity Harbor and yes, it is quite nice. The homes here are mostly on the water, either the Great South Bay or on canals. But the hight school is the Copiague School District and, according to my daughter who went to the high school there, she totally hated it. The few times I went to events there, it reminded me of the high school I went to when I was a teen in the Bronx. The part of the Bronx I grew up in was very nice but the school had a lot of wisemouths and troublemakers. I did not like it. If I had had the extra money, I would have sent ny daughter to a private high school. Otherwise, Amity Harbor is pretty nice - mostly working middle class to upper middle class. There is also renovation being done to our Amityville Beach area which is coming along really lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whome? View Post
Out family is considering moving to this area. Are there parts of these towns that we would be wise to avoid (crime-wise, safety-wise)? What parts would that be?

And realistically, what is the commute like into midtown manhattan?

Thanks.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:13 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whome? View Post
Out family is considering moving to this area. Are there parts of these towns that we would be wise to avoid (crime-wise, safety-wise)? What parts would that be?

And realistically, what is the commute like into midtown manhattan?

Thanks.

If you are going to Massapequa it's best to pick the houses in Massapequa that are NOT in the Amityville SD as they are closer to Amityville and it's not that great of an area. If you go to Amityville, near the water is nice, BUT it's stillin Amityville SD. I knew people that lived there and went toprivate school back when I was in H.S (grauduated in 92) and I think alot of people in that area send their kids to private school.

Of course.. Massapequa that's not in Amityville SD will bem ore expensive.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,830 times
Default Amityville

While yes it is true the crime rate is higher in north Amityville, I still believe that it is a better place to live than Massapequa. I grew up in North Amityville, attended the public schools, and know many respectable members of the community. The reason I believe Amityville, specifically North Amityville, was better place to grow up was because of all the exposure to different cultures and races. Although many may say that of course I am more comfortable in this area because I am a hispanic male, however I find that to be a rather biased not to mention ignorant opinion. Because of the huge cultural mesh within the public schools I made life long friendships with many Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, and Asians as well. The people there are lower middle classes to upper middle class; as a direct result most of the people you'll run into are very humble and very kind. Massapequa on the other hand does not have very much diversity. Most of the population is upper middle class to wealthy. There is very little exposure to real life and as a result many of Whites are scared of many of the minorities they will run into. It does not necessarily make them racist, it just means they are unaware to fact that a black, Hispanic, or Asian is no more dangerous than a white person.

Is it true that there are is a drug problem in North Amityville? Well this may be a touchy question, but yes drugs are available in North Amityville, however surprisingly, most of the people that buy the drugs are for the most part the children of the wealthy white families of South Amityville, the Village, Massapequa, East Farmingdale, Amity Harbor, Copiague, and Lindenhurst. Most of the people that get arrested for drug charges in north Amityville don't actually reside in north amityville. This is not an excuse however, it disgusts that this is available to the community, but it is further proof that most of the residents are law abiding and very nice.

So in the end I'd have to say that Amityville is a much better place to live in, rather than Massapequa.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:55 PM

74 posts, read 371,088 times
Just remember East Massapequa which is basically east of Carmin Mills Road is in the Amityville School district. Funny Berner Jr High School is located on the west side of Carmin Mills Road and is part of the Massapequa school district (used to be a high school too). The kids on the east side of the street can't go to that school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island