Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:23 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,342 times

Advertisements

GC South is VERY safe. If you aren't obsessed with school district rankings and can send your kids to Franklin Sq. schools (which are fine), then it is a great place to live. There are some real architectural gems in GC South just south of the Golf Course there. The same masons that build the GC homes in the 1920's built those ones. So, you can get some great deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 11:21 PM

23 posts, read 93,991 times
Speaking of Hempstead I wouldn't mind living in a neighborhood that majority black only if it's nice and safe it's not forget it, same thing if a neighborhood is white and dumpy i would preffer not

Old 08-10-2014, 02:48 PM

168 posts, read 289,864 times
Hi,

I passed by this area recently and I found the borders between gc and gcs confusing. Some questions for the people that know:

Is south of Cambridge ave all Franklin Square school district?

Is the school district border between gc and gcs the same as the village border? For example, are some houses in GC, but zoned to Franklin sq schools? If so, can those folks still use the GC pool and park in GC station?

There is a nice regular neighborhood bordering the Garden City pool north west, is that Garden City South and, therefore, those folks can't go to the pool they see by their windows?

Is there a difference in Franklin square between north and south Hempstead tpk?
Are the elementary schools of both areas the same quality?

What's the pool for gcs?

Thanks
Hipo

Old 08-10-2014, 04:50 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I passed by this area recently and I found the borders between gc and gcs confusing. Some questions for the people that know:

Is south of Cambridge ave all Franklin Square school district?

Yes. Mostly. One or two houses are in GC district.

Is the school district border between gc and gcs the same as the village border? For example, are some houses in GC, but zoned to Franklin sq schools? If so, can those folks still use the GC pool and park in GC station?
All houses in garden city are zoned for GC schools. Period. The school and. Ill age borders are neat identical. There are a couple houses o. Vanata court in Hempstead that are GC schools.

There is a nice regular neighborhood bordering the Garden City pool north west, is that Garden City South and, therefore, those folks can't go to the pool they see by their windows? Lydia. Lane is GC south. So is terrace ave. on cherry valley once you pass sunset lane it is GC south. Only village residents may join the pool.

Is there a difference in Franklin square between north and south Hempstead tpk? Don't know.
Are the elementary schools of both areas the same quality?

What's the pool for gcs? Rath Park I think. Echo
Park in west Hempstead is an option.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:14 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Difference between gcs/north of tpke fs versus south of tpke fs is which elementary school they attend (district 17) but the quality of the schools is pretty close.
northof tpke goes to Washington street school, south of tpke goes to either John street or Polk street school. All go to Carey High School.

Really south of tpke is part of District 13. Willow road elementary school and Valley Stream North High School. District 13 is considered to be more diverse due to having North Valley Stream within its borders.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:34 PM

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:59 PM

Hi,

One extra case:

In Zillow there is this house in Lydia ln 12 that says:

"Enjoy All Of The Garden City Village Amenities With Franklin Square Schools"

Is that true?

Old 08-11-2014, 06:08 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I am not sure about that one. I worked with a girl who lived on Lydia lane and she swore they were in GC but schools were franklin square. Best bet is call village of GC for the true scoop. I seem to remember her complaining that the pool was behind her fence but she couldn't join.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Why would you want to buy in gc but use fs schools? I am in fs, but gc schools rank much better. I would think it would be hard to sell a house like that.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:15 AM

Thanks Twingles!

NOTE Everybody: I'm not looking to buy a house right now just want to understand that area. My wife works at Adelphi, which is just there, so that's why I'm trying to figure out the area just in case one day we decide to buy.

Regards,
Hipo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island