Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:12 AM

5 posts, read 21,712 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a house in Long Island...I want to know which part of Garden city is good...upper middle class area...with good school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
The village of Garden City is incorporated and separate from the Garden City South and Garden City Park. IT's a separate school district. If you are in the GC school district you are pretty much fine, although the other areas are nice too. GC schools are generally considered better.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
The Village of Garden City is self-governing municipality in the Town of Hempstead, while the Hamlet of Garden City Park and the Hamlet of Garden City South are governed on an at-large basis by the Town of North Hempstead and the Town of Hempstead, respectively.

nycworld, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 07-12-2010, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 21,712 times
So is Garden City Park better than Garden City South

Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycworld View Post
So is Garden City Park better than Garden City South
In what respect? "Better" is a somewhat nebulous term. I'm not sure but I think GCP schools might be higher rated. Both are low crime areas where people keep their homes nice. I would say you'll find a similar range of home prices in the two towns.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,632 times
I am considering moving to Garden City from Manhattan. Can anyone from the area fill me in on the Village and city; safe and affordable areas to live and realtor suggestions, closest colleges and getting around--is public transportation good or do I need to get a car asap.

All and any help will be much appreciated.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default A map of the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat2010 View Post
Can anyone from the area fill me in on the Village and city ...
Garden City is a village, not a city.

You need to know that Garden City is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where many of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address (4,859 acres) are not in the village (3,414 acres).

A map of the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/Garden-city-map.gif (broken link)

Places that have a "Garden City, NY 11530" mailing address that are not in the Village of Garden City are in the Hamlet of East Garden City, the Hamlet of Garden City South, the Hamlet of Franklin Square and the Village of Stewart Manor; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Garden City that have a "Mineola, NY 11501" and "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address. (The Nassau County county seat is in that part of the Village of Garden City that has a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address.)

lat2010, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 07-30-2010, 08:57 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,716 times
Here's a link to an older post with some answers to this question:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-gc-south.html

Old 07-31-2010, 01:27 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Garden City is a very pretty and pricey area. Garden City Park and Garden City South are not Garden City proper. Which as Walter wrote is not a city.

I think that Garden City has many lovely older homes and is a very convenient place to live in general. However, it is bounded by some fairly undesirable areas such as Hempstead and Uniondale.

Only Garden City attends Garden City schools along with a small part of Stewart Manor which is an incorporated village. Some parts do attend GS schools and there you do get a fairly good bang for your buck - so that might be a thought if you are in the 500 - 650K price range.

You do need to know what part of Stewart Manor is in the Garden City Schools. The rest go to a lower rated district that is iffy.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:54 PM

86 posts, read 193,499 times
The racial makeup of the Garden City park was 70.20% White, 4.21% African American, 0.28% Native American, 20.49% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 2.13% from other races, and 2.66% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.09% of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island