Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:18 PM

7 posts, read 33,464 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to moving to LI. We have narrowed it down to GC, but on the MLS sites, it lists 3 different towns. We are young and have a 1 year old. We are looking for a safe, kid friendly town, with good schools. (Note - my husband would be commuting to Uniondale and this would not be our "forever" home..so resale is important) Can someone tell me the differences between the 3 and the best one to look for a home. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
In a nutshell about 175-200k

Old 02-25-2010, 09:05 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
I haven't heard of Garden City South but I can tell you there's quite a difference between Garden City and Garden City Park. Garden City is definitely more expensive and upscale than Garden City Park. I live in New Hyde Park and Garden City Park is a few blocks from me. I'm in the Herricks school district and that alone rates a higher house price than a house in Garden City Park (the schools aren't as good in GC Park). I'm not sure of the school district in Garden City but it has to be better than the one in Garden City Park. If you can afford the prices in Garden City, then your family would be better off settling there for the next few years. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Garden City is a village in the Town of Hempstead.

Garden City South is a hamlet in the Town of Hempstead.

Garden City Park is a hamlet in the Town of North Hempstead.

You can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:42 PM

290 posts, read 582,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I haven't heard of Garden City South but I can tell you there's quite a difference between Garden City and Garden City Park. Garden City is definitely more expensive and upscale than Garden City Park. I live in New Hyde Park and Garden City Park is a few blocks from me. I'm in the Herricks school district and that alone rates a higher house price than a house in Garden City Park (the schools aren't as good in GC Park). I'm not sure of the school district in Garden City but it has to be better than the one in Garden City Park. If you can afford the prices in Garden City, then your family would be better off settling there for the next few years. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
Which school districts in GCP? Mineola? NHP Memorial? You live in NHP, but go to Herricks? How long have you lived in the area?

Last edited by donkey95; 02-25-2010 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-25-2010, 10:20 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
Which school districts in GCP? Mineola? NHP Memorial? You live in NHP, but go to Herricks? How long have you lived in the area?
Yes, I live in NHP and am in the Herricks school district. I've been here for 11 years and my kids have gone to Center Street and Herricks Middle School. Herricks schools are considered to be better than the schools in Garden City Park and Mineola.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,216 times
Some parts of Garden City South are middle-class houses on 40x100 lots just a block away from Garden City mansions. Some of Garden City South is in Franklin Square school district for elementary and in Sewanhaka school district for Middle & High school. Here's a link to school district profiles and scores:
Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com

Also I knew a family whose postal address was West Hempstead, while other official documents had them down as Garden City South. When they sold, the realtor listed the house as Garden City South and their buyers were really angry when they found out that they couldn't use that as their postal address--they felt that Garden City South (even though it was "just" South and not the "real" Garden City) sounded much more prestigious than West Hempstead.

Garden City South is safe and kid-friendly and also more budget-friendly than Garden City, but the school districts aren't as good.

Last edited by gk90; 02-25-2010 at 11:09 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 AM

217 posts, read 254,883 times
Garden City Park is serviced partly by the Mineola School District and predominantly by the New Hyde Park School District.

Garden City has its own school district.

Garden City South is serviced by the Franklin Square school district... I'm not sure if any other school district boundries exist in Garden City South.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:34 AM

290 posts, read 582,914 times
After a re-read, what a horribly written post [by me!] Let's try it again -- do you live in the Village of NHP, or the area of NHP? The reason for my question is that I always thought that the village of NHP was too far away to go to Herricks; the village went to NHP Memorial...

Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Yes, I live in NHP and am in the Herricks school district.

I'm not aware that any part of the Village of New Hyde Park, the only "New Hyde Park", was in the Herricks Union Free School District.

There are places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address that are in the Herricks Union Free School District, and those places are in the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, the Hamlet of Garden City Park, the Hamlet of Herricks and the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills.

GPC, you can find out in which community your house is actually located by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island