Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the East/West Line for LI?
Rt. 135 2 3.17%
Rt. 110 20 31.75%
Rt. 112 19 30.16%
Wm Floyd Parkway. 22 34.92%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:35 PM

240 posts, read 1,060,261 times

Advertisements

I might go out on a limb and say that Brookhaven Town is Central Long Island, anything east of the Brookhaven border is Eastern Long Island, anything west of the border is Western Long Island. If you think about it this works perfectly. Much of Islip town is very nassauish, Smithtown township is similar to Huntington. Once you cross the Riverhead line you're in Wading River, which has an east end Feel. Once you cross the Southampton Line you're in the Hamptons, who could argue that's not the east end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:42 PM

20,320 posts, read 21,156,476 times
Well, if someone gets extremely bored this weekend, take a ride from east to west and clock the mileage, then whack it in half and find the exact middle of LI

Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,315,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
well the commuters of central LI obviously can't stop...they're all trying to catch up on all the sleep they lose due to their lousy commutes, lol.

Regardless, it's pretty clear there's more people from your neck of the woods coming to western suffolk/nassau for certain activities (shopping, concerts, restaurants) than vice versa.
Typical Nassau County narcissist (spelling?)......(I am kidding)

Old 03-19-2009, 01:52 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,793,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Well, if someone gets extremely bored this weekend, take a ride from east to west and clock the mileage, then whack it in half and find the exact middle of LI:)
According to LIPA's Annual Population Survey, "Long Island is the largest island adjoining the continental United States, extending approximately 118 miles east-northeast from the mouth of the Hudson River.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 PM

240 posts, read 1,060,261 times
you can find the middle by measuring it on Google Earth, It's right around West Bartlett Road in Middle Island/Gordon Heights/Yaphank.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 PM

20,320 posts, read 21,156,476 times
Ok, so 59 miles from the mouth of the Hudson is the exact middle of LI.
Where would that be?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:24 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,230,593 times
Quote:
Where would that be?

Not the phyiscal midpoint...but the cultural.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,230,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Typical Nassau County narcissist (spelling?)......(I am kidding)

Agreed.
He's straight up delusional on that one.

Like us hayseeds couldnt possibly resist the awesome drawing power of Hicksville.

crooks

Old 03-19-2009, 05:09 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,793,564 times
Quote:
Where would that be?
About 15 miles west of the South Fork.

The South Fork is approximately 44 miles in length (the North Fork 28 miles long), and subtracting 44 miles from 59 miles, leaves the middle of Long Island 15 miles west of the Town of Brookhaven/Town of Southampton town line.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 AM

4,702 posts, read 8,803,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
No...no theyre not, and dont kid yourself.

In fact most of the folks who've moved out here over the last few years are from Nassau and Western Suffolk.
stats? link? anything? Even if it's true, it doesn't mean they're not heading back to civilization for the finer things in life...lol.

Quote:
With the exception of the All American burger and the rare Islander game we avoid Nassau at all costs.
wow, you can't even get a decent burger in flyover country? I didn't realize things were that bad...

Quote:
We dont shop, dine or go to concerts there. Theres no reason to.
We can do that here or on occasion we go NYC.
No you can't. There's no central LI equivalent of the Coliseum and the Jones Beach Theater (unless you get all excited for the has-beens that play Bald Hill). Plenty of people from your neck of the woods come west to those destinations. Nobody is doing the reverse. As for shopping, is there an equivalent to Roosevelt Field, Whitman Mall, or Americana out by you? And I'm pretty sure zagats will come down on my side if we were to compare resaturants.

Quote:
You haven't ben out of the Nassau bubble in a while..have you?
I've only been a resident of Nassau for 4 years...and even if I'd spent my whole life here, it still wouldn't change the facts in your favor.

Bottom line: you seem very happy in your little slice of heaven out in central LI...and good for you. If it gives you everything you want, you should be happy. But facts are facts. There are reasons for residents of central LI to come west (or east) for certain things. For the most part, the opposite just isn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island