Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the East/West Line for LI?
Rt. 135 2 3.17%
Rt. 110 20 31.75%
Rt. 112 19 30.16%
Wm Floyd Parkway. 22 34.92%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:31 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,767,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Once it was the Meadowbrook,then 135,110,112 now I think its around the Wm Floyd.

What do you guys think?

Where is the East/West Line for LI?

Crooks
what changes have you seen that would make this dividing line keep moving east? what factors are you basing it on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 12:57 PM

22,197 posts, read 19,481,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
what changes have you seen that would make this dividing line keep moving east? what factors are you basing it on?

I think he is basing it on population factors and how built up the areas have been. The west generally being the more built up denser population portion, the east being the less built up and less dense portion. As the more built up areas further east become the more the dividing line moves.

I would actually break it down to west, central & eastern. West being west of Rt 111, Centreal LI between RT 111 & William Floyd, eastern LI, east of the William Floyd

Old 03-18-2009, 01:01 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,767,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I would actually break it down to west, central & eastern. West being west of Rt 111, Centreal LI between RT 111 & William Floyd, eastern LI, east of the William Floyd
that sounds about right to me.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:14 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,182,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
that sounds about right to me.
Me too

Old 03-18-2009, 01:30 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,576 times
If you look at a Google Earth map of Long Island I would say there is sort of a jagged borderline along Station rd, West Bartlett road, and Radio Avenue. There is a visible difference in development patterns east and west of these roads when looking at a sattelite image. Once you cross 25A, the north shore is heavily developed to the William Floyd Parkway.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:45 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,265,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I think he is basing it on population factors and how built up the areas have been. The west generally being the more built up denser population portion, the east being the less built up and less dense portion. As the more built up areas further east become the more the dividing line moves.

Dividing LI three ways is the way I look at it also. However you can also look at just the MAIN part of Long Island, Bay Ridge to Riverhead (the forks being just narrow extensions). In this way the Babylon-Huntington area really is the dividing line between east and west!

Old 03-18-2009, 04:47 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,952,899 times
Long Island is so long--I don't think it can just be divided into west/east. I always considered certain towns to be in western, central, and eastern LI. I always thought western LI was all of Nassau, central LI was up until about Rocky Point, and east of that is eastern LI.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:51 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,326,684 times
I would say Route 112 is the dividing line. On the LIE for instance, east of there, there are no streetlights. Also those ugly sound barriers dissapear and you see mostly piney woods. Same goes for Sunrise Highway.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:56 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,326,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
I've had people "pack" before traveling from Nassau to visit me. They arive at my house like they prepared for the Normandy invasion.
They're afraid of the freaky woods.

Ever notice how Tanger in Riverhead quickly empties out at dark? The folks in Nassau are afraid to drive back on a dark LIE with pines reaching out to the road. Only acception is midnight madness, when the fear of getting there too late and missing a deal is greater than a darkened road with trees that dont move at all.
They have plenty of company anyway, since the LIE is usually a parking lot all the way to the end that night, and the deer are banging on car windows for a snack.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,515,621 times
Cross Island Parkway

Just kidding - I mapped it out and the actual divider of east/west would be somewhere right around the aptly named Middle Island and Yaphank border (so closer to William Floyd than Route 112). I'm shocked that there's that much island east of that, anytime I head out to the North Fork or Montauk I always think "oh sweet, I'm almost there" right around that location.

As far as the (somewhat) cultural dividing line? I guess I'd put it around there.....I've always thought once you pass 231 or the entrance for the Robert Moses Causeway you're "out east" but looking at a map thats too ridiculous. It's honestly way too hard to say, too many different areas. South Fork/North Fork/Town of Brookhaven are nothing alike.....that messes it up. I remember the first time I went out to Splish Splash it seemed like driving to another state, and I think it actually is much further away than Connecticut from where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island