Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:46 PM

149 posts, read 525,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How would out-of-state people know enough about Hempstead (Village) to reject anything with the name Hempstead? Is it infamous everywhere or something?
I seriously doubt it. I mean maybe folks from nearby Metro Area states might have read a few things about Hempstead, but beyond that I don't see it.

I used to have leery feelings about WH because of the 'Hempstead' in the name but have since realized that it was unfair. I go to a salon there and the area is cool with me. I'm not saying that I know the place inside and out, but I could see someone wanting to buy/rent there (taking however the SD is into account).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:40 PM

30 posts, read 82,832 times
Default Thanks for the opinions

Sorry but I grew up in GC and if you can find a box for sale on the street in GC for less than 200K you should get it-My parents got their house years ago there for less than 100 K and sold it last year (4 br with 3full baths, tudor, 2 fireplaces, great shape for 1.2mil so I highly doubt you are going to find one for 300K in this lifetime.
Thanks- got all the answers I needed for my questions-I will certainly lose as much clutter as I can- that is a great suggestion. The house is appraised at 425K so I think that 355K (neg) is fine and so did most realtors- they said we should see lots of action now since holidays are over and we have 4 viewings this week so I am thinking they are right- thanks everyone

Old 01-06-2009, 05:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I believe that a while back, there was a movement to change the name of West Hempstead.

Good memory, Tom, because about 8 years ago, the West Hempstead Civic Association was attempting to rally the community to change the name of West Hempstead to Mayfair Park, Mayfair Gardens or Echo Park, or, even, Lakeview.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrnwriter View Post
Sorry but I grew up in GC and if you can find a box for sale on the street in GC for less than 200K you should get it-My parents got their house years ago there for less than 100 K and sold it last year (4 br with 3full baths, tudor, 2 fireplaces, great shape for 1.2mil so I highly doubt you are going to find one for 300K in this lifetime.
Thanks- got all the answers I needed for my questions-I will certainly lose as much clutter as I can- that is a great suggestion. The house is appraised at 425K so I think that 355K (neg) is fine and so did most realtors- they said we should see lots of action now since holidays are over and we have 4 viewings this week so I am thinking they are right- thanks everyone
My point was that any house priced right will sell, which is always what the first answer should be when someone asks "why isn't my house selling?" Because no one wants to pay what you are asking, or they don't see it when they are looking because it's way out of their range. Of course you couldn't get an abandoned car in GC for 300K.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:30 PM

42 posts, read 143,758 times
You are not going to get anybody buying your house for $355k since somebody on this thread mentioned that she just bought a foreclosure (with similar beds/baths to your house) for $255.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie1977 View Post
hi i think it is hard to sell a home these days. the person who wrote that home values will go down is right. The other fact is that there are so many foreclosures that are better priced. I just moved to west hempstead in june 2008. My husband and I bought a move in condition foreclosure for 255,000. A 3 bedroom ranch, with finished basement with 3 more bedrooms with another bathroom. -perfect for a family of 7. And now before a real estate even shows you a house, they require that you are qualified for a mortgage so you dont waste their time.

Where are you finding good foreclosure listings that are not owned by agencies that charge fees for listings?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:14 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Miss_LI-NYC View Post
Where are you finding good foreclosure listings that are not owned by agencies that charge fees for listings?
Check with a real estate agent. The banks list most foreclosed homes through brokers.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:09 PM

270 posts, read 964,700 times
i feel your pain NYRNWRITER....LOL Our condo in Yaphank has been on the market since may 2008. We are one of the cheaper listings in our development, but still no offers. We have showings, but no offers...........:-( This kicker is that our condo has been totally updated from the bathrooms, kitchen, windows, doors, flooring, heating system.....etc. The new owner wouldn't have to do a thing....it's just unbelievable!

Old 02-17-2009, 04:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Jackie78, if you dont mind what is the asking price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie78 View Post
i feel your pain NYRNWRITER....LOL Our condo in Yaphank has been on the market since may 2008. We are one of the cheaper listings in our development, but still no offers. We have showings, but no offers...........:-( This kicker is that our condo has been totally updated from the bathrooms, kitchen, windows, doors, flooring, heating system.....etc. The new owner wouldn't have to do a thing....it's just unbelievable!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:19 AM

44 posts, read 150,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Good memory, Tom, because about 8 years ago, the West Hempstead Civic Association was attempting to rally the community to change the name of West Hempstead to Mayfair Park, Mayfair Gardens or Echo Park, or, even, Lakeview.
Echo Park and Lakeview both sound good, Mayfair doesn't sound right to me. How did they come up with the "Mayfair Park and Mayfair Garden's names? Also, I see that the rallying didn't work, but how come ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island