Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 07:32 PM

45 posts, read 167,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
But, Adventureland & the 56th Fighter Group restaurant are still there in Farmingdale.
After many incantations, Beefsteak Charlie's is going to become ......ta da...... a Cheesecake Factory
The one in Bayshore? That building had a lot of issues.
I also worked at Porky & Glen's I heard that changed hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 07:37 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
The one in Bayshore? That building had a lot of issues.
No, the one in Huntington, I meant. Where was the Bayshore one. I can't remember.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:45 PM

45 posts, read 167,858 times
There were 2 the first one was on Clinton Ave but closed in the early 90's. The one I worked at was on Maple Ave were the FI ferries went out across from Molly Malone's (if that is still there). It opened in 1992 or 93 and closed in 1996.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:57 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygirl6216 View Post
Lol, bought my first house in 1978 in Selden, paid 32,000. Sold it 1 1/2 latter for 49,000 thought i made a fortune. He sol it a year 1/2 latter for 89,000 lol. then all heck broke loose and houses went crazy!!!! Wish we could go back to those times and maybe the kids growing up on LI would have a chance of the American Dream. I have no regretts growing up in FLushing Queens the LI. Was the best times of my life. But now i live on the coast of North Carolina and its nice here and but i miss the Italian bread, bagels italian ices lol ohh well can't have it all.
I sold the house I bought in Mt Sinai in 1976 for $32,990, for $60,000 , 6 years later.
In Nashville I found all the food your missing, owned by Brooklyn Transplants.
Diane

Old 10-27-2007, 09:42 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Did it get demolished? That's very sad. I have not been back there in so long......
What is it now?
The new building houses a brick oven pizzeria, a slot car/rocket store with office space over head. No charm. It's sad

Old 10-28-2007, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 11,829 times
Default home sweet home

bagel nosh, nunly's, adventure land, the diner, the diner, the diner, the many diners, the 7-11s, pool hopping, pumpkin smashing, toilet papering, shaving creaming, the LIRR, sunrise highway - always my main rd reference even for people who don't know what sunrise highway is, wish it would stay the same... missing it from afar.... have you seen the new "world" they built where the raceway was? holy shmoly! it's like long island heaven, right next to the mawll..... long island lives large in my heart, even though i could never live there again.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:27 PM

169 posts, read 632,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Remember to Commack Arena? It was on the corner of 347 and the Sagtikos. I used to come out from Lynbrook to see concerts there. Also saw the circus there.
Wasn't that where the Long Island Ducks hockey team played, back in the early/mid 1960s?

I seem to recall that during the 1980s the Commack Arena got turned into an indoor flea market.

The funny thing is that I was right in that area the other day (had to get something at the Linens & Things there that the locations closer to me didn't have in stock) and I can't remember if that shopping center is where the Arena used to be or not. "duh" Senility setting in, no doubt...

Old 10-29-2007, 10:33 PM

169 posts, read 632,795 times
Quote:

Newberry's in the Miracle Mile BEFORE it became all hoity toity?
I'm not sure if this qualifies, because it only dates from the 1970s, but your mentioning the Miracle Mile reminded me of it: There used to be a restaurant called "La Crepe" toward the east end of the Miracle Mile/Americana shopping center... facing NOrthern Blvd, not the parking lot... a few doors away from that supermarket at the very end that had the weird looking roofline.

Anyway, in the mid/late 1970s I used to work at one of the car dealership right near the intersection of 25A and Port Washington Blvd, and my favorite place for lunch was "La Crepe". They had a menu with 100 different kinds of crepes .. both entree and dessert types.. and they had a Sunday brunch too.

I was devastated when La Crepe went out of business (when as you say, the Americana became all hoity-toity ) There has not been a restaurant like it on LI since. I've been to a little place in Huntington Village that a few people told me was a "crepe restaurant" but it is nothing at all like La Crepe was; like comparing a Kia to a Cadillac.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:41 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrantia View Post
I'm not sure if this qualifies, because it only dates from the 1970s, but your mentioning the Miracle Mile reminded me of it: There used to be a restaurant called "La Crepe" toward the east end of the Miracle Mile/Americana shopping center... facing NOrthern Blvd, not the parking lot... a few doors away from that supermarket at the very end that had the weird looking roofline.

Anyway, in the mid/late 1970s I used to work at one of the car dealership right near the intersection of 25A and Port Washington Blvd, and my favorite place for lunch was "La Crepe". They had a menu with 100 different kinds of crepes .. both entree and dessert types.. and they had a Sunday brunch too.

I was devastated when La Crepe went out of business (when as you say, the Americana became all hoity-toity ) There has not been a restaurant like it on LI since. I've been to a little place in Huntington Village that a few people told me was a "crepe restaurant" but it is nothing at all like La Crepe was; like comparing a Kia to a Cadillac.
I used to work across the street @ 1044 Northern Blvd -- it was a 3? story office building with parking underneath at the street level. There was a Chinese restaurant next door. It was a couple of buildings east of 25A/PW Blvd. Americana Mall was already uppity then (1984-86) but there were still a few 'regular' stores.

Too bad I missed out on La Crepe

Old 11-01-2007, 10:18 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrantia View Post
Wasn't that where the Long Island Ducks hockey team played, back in the early/mid 1960s?

I seem to recall that during the 1980s the Commack Arena got turned into an indoor flea market.

The funny thing is that I was right in that area the other day (had to get something at the Linens & Things there that the locations closer to me didn't have in stock) and I can't remember if that shopping center is where the Arena used to be or not. "duh" Senility setting in, no doubt...
That shopping center is where the arena used to be. I also remember the indoor flea market there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island