Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 09:06 PM

355 posts, read 390,597 times

Advertisements

When you have a dispute with your neighbor over what side of the fence faces them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 06:03 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,143,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
When you forget that Wyandanch used to have one of the best school districts on Long island .
You must be really, really old.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:08 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
...when you say something is ON Long Island, not IN Long Island

Old 02-24-2018, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,866 times
Have some great memories listening to the sounds of Otter Creek and the various location. Spent many a Thursday night at the Pastime Pub $2.00 pitchers.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:32 AM

3,516 posts, read 5,698,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
When you forget that Wyandanch used to have one of the best school districts on Long island .
When was that??? 1864

Old 02-26-2018, 09:55 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
When was that??? 1864

yeah I think we need to strike Wyandanch from the record.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:52 AM

89 posts, read 146,464 times
I'm from Long Island too. I was born in the Mid-Island Hospital in Bethpage. I remember one of my favorite places to go when I was a kid was Jolly Rogers. I remember when they tore it down. It was so sad for me to see something from my childhood that was there for many years get torn down as if it didn't mean anything to anyone. When I was born I lived in Levittown but I don't remember living there. My first memory was living in Uniondale. I was told I was 9 months old when we moved there. I lived in Uniondale till I was 4 1/2. Then my mother wanted to give my so-called father (Later in life I found out he wasn't my biological father) another chance so we moved upstate to the Catskill Mountains in a small town called Cairo. That didn't last long so we moved back to Long Island and lived with my grandmother in Carle Place for a little while til we found a place to live. We moved to West Hempstead. I remember going to Hall's Pond to feed the ducks. Now I saw that you aren't allowed to feed the ducks anymore. But back then I used to bring a loaf of bread and have fun sitting on a bench and feeding the ducks. I also used to ride my bike around the pond. Across the street was Carvelle. I loved their ice cream. There was a Carvelle in Carle Place down the street from my Grandmother's house and she used to buy me an ice cream cake from there every year for my birthday. We lived in that one place in West Hempstead till I was a few months before I turned 10. Then we moved into a really nice place on Roy Street in West Hempstead. Sad to say but my mother passed away only 8 months after we moved there. I was only 10. But I can remember going to the Broaster House a few times. I also remember going to this restaurant in Freeport but the name escapes me. In West Hempstead I've been to Mama Lianza's a few times. Not sure on the spelling. I also remember the old bus terminal in Hempstead. My sister used to work at the telephone company diagonal across the street from A&S. I saw that get demolished too. I also remember going to TSS in Hempstead. I used to always beg my mother to park on the roof because I thought it was cool. Plus when you park on the roof you get to enter the store on the moving sidewalk. Does anyone remember Korvettes? There was one up the road from my grandmother's house in Westbury. My uncle worked there and my mother bought a few furniture items there. I used to ride my bike a lot just to see where the roads lead to. I don't live in Long Island anymore but I sure miss my childhood living on Long Island. My mother used to take me to Jones Beach every weekend. We used to park in field 2 because it was less of a walk to the water. Does anyone remember Kleins in West Hempstead? We used to go there a lot. I also miss the Sabrett Hot dog stands. I used to love those hot dogs. I like biting into the skin. My mother used to take me and my grandmother to Salsbury Park now it's Eisenhower Park I think, to watch the fireworks every year on the 4th of July. The last time I visited Long Island was one month before 9/11. So much has changed but my old towns where I used to live are still laid out the same. I had an aunt and uncle that worked at the roller rink in Bayshore. I used to go there some. When we lived in Uniondale we used to go to the Strawberry Festival at the firehouse once a year. I don't think they have that anymore. My mother worked at the plastic factory in Carle Place. Before that she worked at the A&P tea company factory across the street from my grandmother's house in Carle Place. You know the last time I visited Long Island, I found it hard to find a grocery store. There used to be a Bohack's on Hempstead Avenue in West Hempstead. And there used to be an A&P and there was a Hill's down on Lakeview Avenue I think it was. There was a grocery store next to Kleins too. On Hempstead Turnpike in Elmont there was a Finest. And there was a Pathmark on Dogwood Avenue in West Hempstead. The only one that I saw was the A&P but it wasn't called A&P. I also remember the Reservation. It was a night club next to Carvelle in West Hempstead. That's not there anymore. Well, I have to stop typing on this subject. I'm getting too sad.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:11 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
I've lived on Long Island my whole life and there are some contexts where I'll say "in".

Old 04-01-2018, 05:47 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,299 times
When your school taxes incenses are never voted down.
When you have a Village tax and it is five times higher than your County tax.
Driving yourself home after a night out drinking is normal (very unsettling how often I see this).
Blacktop driveways more common than cement (I know for sure we are not in Brooklyn anymore)l.
But overall, I do love it here.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:32 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
When your school taxes incenses are never voted down.
When you have a Village tax and it is five times higher than your County tax.
Driving yourself home after a night out drinking is normal (very unsettling how often I see this).
Blacktop driveways more common than cement (I know for sure we are not in Brooklyn anymore)l.
But overall, I do love it here.
That's common everywhere that's autocentric, which is pretty much the whole country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island