Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 07:22 PM

8 posts, read 29,900 times

Advertisements

Dave thanks for the memories! Spent a lot of Friday and Saturday nights at the Hatter, seeing Twisted Sister doing their "disco sucks" act and also seeing Zebra there. We would cruise between the OBI's if there wasn't a band that we wanted to see at the Hatter. Also we'd check out the place in the Commack shopping center, which was walking home distance from my house. We also spent a lot of summer nights at the Kings Park Bluff looking over at Connecticut and drinking some beers but we didn't get high. What a great time the late 70s were on Long Island!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,864 times
Default Old enough!

We lived in Huntington just over the Nassau County line. There was a potato farm down the block and a horse farm directly behind our house. The horses would drop their heads over the fence to get apples from us. After the potato farm was harvested we were allowed to go down and glean the fields...lol I ended up with more stones than potatoes in my basket. They plowed the farm under and it became Stimpson School. The horse farm became a development and my Aunt, Uncle and cousins moved there. Going to Davega's was a big big treat it was a never before experience. That type of store did not exist on Long Island. You must remember this was years before the Korvette's came to Huntington or the Huntington Mall was built. My grandmother was one of the original employees of Korvette's. When that arrived we didn't have to go into Nassau or Queens to go shopping anymore. Then the Huntington Mall arrived. In my mind Old Country Road only has two lanes. I never drove on it when it expanded. Originally you had your milk delivered every day to a metal container on your front stoop (McDonough's). And every milk bottle had a layer of cream at the very top. When Dairy Barn came and you could drive through and get your milk... wow...we couldn't believe it. It was like the first McDonald's that opened way out on Jericho Turnpike...our Dad drove us out there and we had our first fast food other than the kind we got at the amusement parks. I remember my first bite of a fast food hamburger...it was instant love.

Never heard of Misery Road we took West Hills Road past more horse stables and a Walt Whitman home. It was a windy windy narrow road.

We lived very close to Cold Spring Harbor and remember Lollipop Farm and the animals very well. The farm was just to the west of us maybe a fifteen minute drive tops.

Jericho Turnpike was the major road in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgett View Post
My wife's parents lived on LI back in the 40's and 50's. They remember when three quarters of Nassau County were potato and cucumber farms! Mrs. Pidgett, the better half, asks:

Is there anybody here old enough to remember:

Farms in Nassau County?
Farms in Queens?
The Hempstead Plains (Formerly the largest prairie in the East. Yes, I said prairie )?
LI without the LIE?
Levittown before the Levitt Brothers created it?
First suburban shopping centers on the Island?
Shoe-King-Sam?
Friendly Frost?
Chow Chow Cup?
Matinecock Dairy Farm in Plainview?
Davega's Dept Store?
Old Country Road having only TWO lanes?
The massive radio towers out in Suffolk County?
When Bethpage was called "Central Park?" (Yup, it was.)
Hempstead Speedway?
Dairy Barn?
Mount Misery Road in Huntington when it was the ONLY way to get from Melville to H'ton?
Lollipop Farm?
Dix Hills before it was developed?

My wife and her folks would LOVE to know!!! Me, I'm from Maine, so it's all greek to me!

Thanks y'all!

Old 02-21-2016, 10:15 PM

186 posts, read 217,652 times
Your know your from long island if you have no patience lol

Old 02-22-2016, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,808 times
Next door to the Broaster House in East Meadow was the Italian restaurant called Borelli's. Both places were excellent, 55 years ago. Borelli's moved to Miami I believe.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:08 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,876 times
Ahhhh....the Broaster House.....

Old 02-25-2016, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,716 times
Default My husband owned Beau Brummels in Mineola

my husband owned Beau Brummels 😄
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
No mention of LI clubs would be complete without talking about Tuey's in Stony Brook. I practically grew up there listening to some awesome bands and drinking a lot of cheap beer. And the Mad hatter was a close second, with Twisted Sister as the featured band every now and then. I know I lost a few decibels off of my hearing from them, but it was worth it. And port Jeff was always hopping on summer nights, if the live music scene wasn't on the agenda. Ah, the fortunes of a misspent youth !!

Old 02-25-2016, 11:47 PM

40 posts, read 50,553 times
You know you're from Long Island when it takes you 15 minutes to get to Jericho Turnpike from your house in rush hour because you have to cross 2 railroad crossings, yet you live less than a mile south.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:58 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Anybody remember Uncle Sam's on the South Shore? It was a disco when we went back in the late 70's. I miss Long Island sometimes.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:45 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Anybody remember Uncle Sam's on the South Shore? It was a disco when we went back in the late 70's. I miss Long Island sometimes.
YES!! We practically lived there Thur-Sat from 1985..until they closed! LOVE & miss it. Still to this day have our picture they took of us under their big balloon display in 1987 for Valentines day celebration which fell on a Saturday that year Blown up on our Bedroom wall!. Debbie Gibson was the highlight that night and we saw he there many times. As well as all those other acts from the 80's. The Cover Girls,Expose, Stevie B, TKA,Madonna was there once. Brenda K Starr (actually personal friends with her) Taylor Dayne, Nancy Martinez, Lime, Stacey Q. The list can go on forever! Hopefully someone Remembers that legendary song they alway played there by Paul Lakakis! Loved that one! The Cover Girls & Expose are still around MY childhood buddy is very close with all of them as he was a stage manager on those years. They still play regularly in So Florida. There are still many concerts every year they gather most of them in one place. They have had them on LI past few years. Last year they did one at a place near me in Seaford. It was a great experience to see them all together after all those years. Here is link to that infamous Paul Lakakis song if anyone needs a reminder. Uncle Sams was in Levittown on Hempstead Tpke. Where the Old Country Buffet & Tri- County flea market is now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_B...ack_to_My_Room)

I am pretty sure from the looks of this that it was taken at Uncle Sams. That means I have to look for us in that audience! But it is not that clear to see that. The device I am on right now does not allow me to hear it. So maybe if you watch it they mention at some point where this is. Would love to know if this is Uncle Sams. Then we know we were there. This might have been a New Years show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIi-06yqAs8

Old 06-19-2016, 10:54 AM

174 posts, read 181,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
I love Adventureland! I have pictures of my brother and I sometime around 1972 on the train that goes around the park and is still there! Remember the game you put money into and it was like a clown puppet with music in the background? You could make the puppets legs move and hands move by pressing buttons!!!
Right across the street was a club we hit every Saturday night called LI Exchange. Great times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island