Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 PM

37 posts, read 104,639 times

Advertisements

i would buy a home in farmingdale.
i work there, and really wish i did. i was in farmingdale all the time as a kid, and my cousins lived off of merritts road, behind rosemaries pizza.
and it was really nice, regular neighborhood.
then they moved to farmingdale close to melville, rt. 110 and the area there is really nice, the houses are huge, but south farmingdale near massapequa and amityville it can get grimy.

i wouldn't buy a home in uniondale especially if you are white because my friends moved from there because they were being yelled at and were literally called crackers. however, i know people that live there near the coliseum and love it. and i live in a town that borders uniondale and it can get trashy there.

with hempstead, there are certain nice areas, like certain parts of west hempstead are actually nice.
however, the schools in regular hempstead are not, the kids constantly trash the court buildings.

i would not buy a house in roosevelt either, even though it borders nice areas of merrick and bellmore. growing up, i constantly heard it was a bad area, well one day i rode my bike in there with a friend and we were in roosevelt/uniondale and a guy asked us to come back to his place and do things with him. it was horrible. however, in the paper a house in roosevelt sold for over 400,000 i was shocked.

as in freeport, i do hear near the water can be nice, but also i'd watch out because i hear of a lot of bad things going down.

also uniondale has a lot of gang activity. uniondale, freeport, hempstead, and roosevelt do.

elmont borders hempstead, it used to be a really nice area, my uncle grew up there. and when i went there a couple of years ago, it wasn't THAT bad. my father in law's friend lives there too and seems to actually like it. but i don't know.

ultimately i'd say farmingdale is your best shot, but if you don't feel comfy in any of those areas then don't do it. if you're looking for cheap houses.... west babylon has ssome nice ones just stay away from wyandanch. lindenhurst does too and it's not that far from nassau.

good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 11:09 AM

30 posts, read 82,823 times
how much are you willing to spend on a home?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:41 AM

294 posts, read 878,966 times
Default For Djarum......

Hi Djarum- Levittown is a wonderful place to live - great neighborhood, close to LIRR, beaches, shopping, diverse (despite what you have heard ), and great schools.....
I am a local Realtor (can you tell) but I have also lived here for 15 years and have 2 children in the school district.
Feel free to reply with any questions you may have....Ann

Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 AM

17 posts, read 45,786 times
Question Oyster bay or Bethpage home

Hi we are looking for homes and we really liked 2 homes, one in Oyster Bay and one in Bethpage. The Bethpage one is priced very low and needs some upgrading and the one in Oyster bay is all upgraded with brand new appliances and everything and is priced higher. We are able to afford both these houses. We do not have kids yet, but plan to have sometime very soon We are comparing these two areas in terms of everything! We work in Farmingdale and hence Bethapge is very close by for us. But acc to all the school rankings and things like that we thought that Oyster bay was a good choice. But we also cannot compromise on the distance. The money we would put on the Oyster Bay home would be much more than what we would put on Bethpage even after upgrading it with all brand new things. We are so caught up in this whole house buying thing, we are unable to decide which area to go for. Could anyone please help

Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 AM

138 posts, read 491,883 times
I love Bethpage. We currently rent there. It's just a little beyond our price range to buy. If we can find a way to stay, we'll do it.

For me, the f'dale-OB commute would get OLD quick, so Bethpage seems like a nice fit. We went to the pool 3 or 4 times a week last summer. It was great. Haven't went to the new ice rink yet, but it looks very nice.

Curious - where in Bpage is the house you're considering?

fwiw, my favorite areas are north of Central Ave.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,130 times
The news media have degenerated to the level of the tabloids. They do not show a true picture of Farmingdale. I was raised in Farmingdale, in the upscale Lenox Hills neighborhood. Top brass of Grumman and Republic Aviation lived in the neighborhood, as well as VPs of Pepsi and other major corporations. The Farmingdale school district has a diverse population and good schools.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:09 AM

36 posts, read 225,696 times
Well, they say that you should choose your first home as if you'll end up living there for the rest of your life. I don't know much about Farmingdale schools, but I do believe that some of East Farmingdale goes to the Half Hollow Hills school district, which will be a solidly high performing district for a long time. That should maybe be a factor in your search. Obviously, being in HHH would be great for resale value too, so either way you can't lose...unless the house sucks!

Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,060 times
[quote=tofulovinvegan;5505310]

elmont borders hempstead

Elmont is NOWHERE near Hempstead. It's a much better community, and a lot safer. Maybe you meant that Elmont is part of the Town of Hempstead.....

Old 07-14-2009, 10:12 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofulovinvegan View Post
... then they moved to farmingdale close to melville, rt. 110 and the area there is really nice, the houses are huge ...
That would be the Hamlet of East Farmingdale in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

Quote:
... but south farmingdale near massapequa and amityville it can get grimy.
The Hamlet of South Farmingdale is not near the Hamlet of Massapequa, but is to the immediate north of the Village of Massapequa Park and the Hamlet of East Massapequa, and to the west of the Hamlet of East Farmingdale and the Hamlet of North Amityville in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

Quote:
i wouldn't buy a home in uniondale especially if you are white because my friends moved from there because they were being yelled at and were literally called crackers. however, i know people that live there near the coliseum and love it.
The coliseum is in the Hamlet of East Garden City in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County.

Quote:
with hempstead, there are certain nice areas, like certain parts of west hempstead are actually nice. however, the schools in regular hempstead are not, the kids constantly trash the court buildings.
Regular Hempstead???

There is the Village of Henmpstead and there is also the Hamlet of West Hempstead, but I've never heard of "regular Hempstead".

Quote:
elmont borders hempstead ... "
Going from west to east, the Hamlet of Franklin Square and the Hamlet of West Hempstead are between the Hamlet of Elmont and the Village of Hempstead.

Quote:
ultimately i'd say farmingdale is your best shot ...
Would that be the Village of Farmingdale, the Hamlet of South Farmingdale, the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, or the part of the Hamlet of Old Bethpage or the Hamlet of Plainedge that are within the "Farmingdale, NY 11735" ZIP Code postal zone?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:11 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by house2008 View Post
Is any of these neighborhoods any good to buy a house in. would you buy a house in any of these neighborhoods?

Hempstead
Farmingdale
Freeport
Roosevelt
UnionDale
Elmont

i've already heard bad stuff about hempstead, so i guess that's off the list.
only farmingdale...the rest are bad areas, sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island