Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:17 PM

40 posts, read 136,168 times

Advertisements

couldn't get the house in farmingdale area.

my realtor is recommending Hicksville and is convinced that i will find my dream house there.

how is hicksville? any problems/areas i should be aware of??? any bewares?

how is the SD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 06:01 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Hicksville

Quote:
Originally Posted by house2008 View Post
my realtor is recommending Hicksville and is convinced that i will find my dream house there.

how is hicksville? any problems/areas i should be aware of??? any bewares?

There have been comments in other threads concerning the growing population of Indians in Hicksville: some of these comments thought that this was not a good thing, other comments did not agree.

For those who may not be familiar with Hicksville:

Hicksville is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center-west part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the east-central part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/North Hempstead/Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Hicksville in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Jericho and the Hamlet of Syosset; on the east by the Hamlet of Plainview and the Hamlet of Bethpage; on the south by the Hamlet of Levittown in the Town of Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line); and, on the west by the Hamlet of Salisbury in the Town of Hempstead and the Hamlet of New Cassel in the Town of North Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/Hempstead/North Hempstead town line).

The Hamlet of Hicksville has a different border than does the "Hicksville, NY 11801" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Hicksville, NY 11801" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Hicksville and a place can be in the Hamlet of Hicksville and have other than a "Hicksville, NY 11801" mailing address): places with a "Hicksville, NY 11801" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Hicksville are in the Hamlet of Jericho; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Hicksville that have a "Bethpage, NY 11714", "Jericho, NY 11753" and "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 09-28-2008, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 64,365 times
I live in Island Trees School District, I went to Island Trees, so did my mom... I stayed for the schools, but to be honest it is getting like Queens, it has gotten so congested with all the shopping!!!! Hempstead Turnpike is insane, but if you are looking for great schools with alot of alumni staying and sending their kids to Island Trees, it is a good community, lots of police and firemen live here and a very involved PTA the firehouses have open houses that the kids really enjoy. I can't speak for Levittown schools, I do have a few friends with kids in Levittown school who don't have many compliants. Hope this helps a little!! Good Luck...

Old 09-28-2008, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 64,365 times
Island Trees has an increase in Indian residents, not as mant as Hicksville, but I have seen an increase... When I went (Class of '90) it was 97% white, we had very few non-white classmates, there were quite a few Jewish families, or at least one parent Jewish, so I didn't hear of anyone anti-semitic,my mom moved to Island Trees when she was 10, around 1952 and graduated from IT she raised all 4 of us in the house her parents bought when they moved here. I see alot of former Island Trees Students whose kids now go to Island Trees ot who teach here now. I like that it isn't a big district and the budget passes... do I love the neighborhood anymore?, it has gotten a bit crowded and Queens-like with all the shopping and traffic, but I am not at the point where I want to leave... hope I was helpful..

Old 09-30-2008, 07:36 AM

444 posts, read 1,049,369 times
Quote:
Is any of these neighborhoods any good to buy a house in. would you buy a house in any of these neighborhoods?

Hempstead
Farmingdale
Freeport
Roosevelt
UnionDale
Elmont

i've already heard bad stuff about hempstead, so i guess that's off the list.
Farmingdale has some nice areas. I would check them out before yo made a decision. Freeport down by the water and the nautical mile are million dollar homes and beautiful. If you can afford to send your kids to privates school if you have any that would be best.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:46 AM

151 posts, read 534,824 times
It all depends on your budget, if all you can afford is a house in Elmont then I see nothing wrong with it as long as you know the area is not as nice as others. You should look into south Valley Stream, decent prices and a nice area. There is a small part of valley stream that borders Elmont, that part isn't so great but not dangerous.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:02 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTSILVER View Post
Island Trees has an increase in Indian residents, not as mant as Hicksville, but I have seen an increase... When I went (Class of '90) it was 97% white, we had very few non-white classmates, there were quite a few Jewish families, or at least one parent Jewish, so I didn't hear of anyone anti-semitic,my mom moved to Island Trees when she was 10, around 1952 and graduated from IT she raised all 4 of us in the house her parents bought when they moved here. I see alot of former Island Trees Students whose kids now go to Island Trees ot who teach here now. I like that it isn't a big district and the budget passes... do I love the neighborhood anymore?, it has gotten a bit crowded and Queens-like with all the shopping and traffic, but I am not at the point where I want to leave... hope I was helpful..
Not for nothin', and I dunno if you've ever been to Queens before or not, but I'd hardly call box stores, chain restaurants and strip malls "staples" of Queens' main thoroughfares. If anything, Hempstead Turnpike in that stretch is more like Middle Country Road in Suffolk than anything to the west. In my lifetime, the only notable things that have changed are that the woods backing Island Trees HS are now a Target, the movie theater is an office building and Garrett Auto Parts is now a Chilis. Otherwise, there hasn't been much new construction since the 1970s. More cars, yes, but actually less people.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:10 AM

40 posts, read 136,168 times
well, i was just browsing through farmingdale listings and see a few houses that interest me.

but i don't know anything about farmingdale. how's the schools? how's the neighborhood. how safe is it for a woman to walk at night there(just for a walk or walking home from lirr station?

Old 09-30-2008, 01:39 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTSILVER View Post

Have you ever been to Queens??? It looks nothing like it at all. I live here and it is a nice subrban area. The only real new things are the Target/Stop and Shop. Hempstead Tpk is congeted, but that is the same throughout Nassau. It is nothing new.

Also as for the increase in Indian population...where do you see that in Island Trees. The graduating class had maybe 4-5 kids of Indian/Pakistani decent. I hardly call that anything to write about. It is nothing like Hicksville at all. My good friend teaches in Hicksville and said the Indian population is 40+% of the school.

I love the Indian population...my best friend since 2nd grade is Indian and I have traveled with her and her family to India. She has hung out in the Island Trees area numerous times while visiting me and does not consider it a growing Indian community at all. She even joked that she had never seen one Indian anywhere while visiting me except for herself. I know I don't see it at all. Are people that intolerant that 10 families move in and it becomes an increase/movement?? It is of no comparison to Hicksville.

I enjoy Hicksville though...if you like Indian food or sweets, Hicksville has some of the best on Long Island. They also have the Patel grocery store that has a great selection of Indo/paki foods.

Last edited by llama8; 09-30-2008 at 01:56 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 02:43 PM

405 posts, read 1,163,525 times
Quote:
well, i was just browsing through farmingdale listings and see a few houses that interest me.

but i don't know anything about farmingdale. how's the schools? how's the neighborhood. how safe is it for a woman to walk at night there(just for a walk or walking home from lirr station?
Generally good, generally nice, generally safe. Everything is relative however. One man's heaven is another mans hell.

Research some of my prior posts for more of my opinion on the Dale.
Feel free to DM me with specific questions about specific blocks, neighborhoods, etc.., I'll be happy to give my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island