Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 01:38 PM

69 posts, read 441,522 times

Advertisements

----

Last edited by legacyfuture; 08-06-2010 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 01:44 PM

4,707 posts, read 8,831,516 times
so you want a mint condition house in a quality school district that's in western to central Nassau with easy LIRR access? It's good you don't ask for much! That would have been a stretch in several areas even before the bubble.

If you found some options in Hicksville, what's holding you up? It's not paradise but it's a fine community.

Otherwise, you have several choices:
-settle for a lousy school district
-look MUCH further east
-find a new job that will allow you to increase your budget
-continue to rent

Old 08-06-2010, 01:52 PM

827 posts, read 3,110,378 times
Welcome to house hunting on Long Island. I lived through this not too long ago myself. My husband and I are both from Nassau County. He grew up in Hicksville with Bethpage Schools and I grew up in Bethpage. We both work in Nassau County. Unfortunately, we realized we could get more for our money in Suffolk and ended up moving to Western Suffolk on the North Shore. I do however miss the Bethpage area but unforunately, all the houses in our price range were dumps or needed a lot of work.

If you are looking in Hicksville, the better school district is Bethpage. Hicksville school district is not the greatest. In regard to Levittown, if you need the train, you would have to travel to Wantagh Train Station. You would not be able to park at Hicksville Train Station or Bethpage Train Station if you live in Levittown b/c of the townships, etc. Hicksville and Bethpage are the Town of Oyster Bay; Levittown is the Town of Hempstead. Also, out of Levittown school district, you would either want to be in the Island Tree's School District or Levittown School District with Macarthur High School. Division High School (part of Levittown district) is not that desirable.

Good luck with whatever and wherever you decide to buy a house. It can get very frustrating.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:56 PM

3,050 posts, read 5,021,811 times
Try West Hempstead.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:07 PM

69 posts, read 441,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Try West Hempstead.
School is not so great, most people there send their kids to private.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:08 PM

3,050 posts, read 5,021,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyfuture View Post
School is not so great, most people there send their kids to private.
That's because of the high Jewish population, a lot of the kids go to hanc.

Try Syosset then.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:35 PM

311 posts, read 1,025,590 times
I would look into Roosevelt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island