Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:11 AM

72 posts, read 193,498 times

Advertisements

If they would start cutting out the excessive amount of administrators (some small elem. schools have more than 2) lower their salaries, make the cops pay for part of their health insurance (they don't pay a dime) and stop giving them 6 figure incomes after only 6 yrs on the job, maybe our taxes would not be so high. I believe people deserve good incomes on LI, but it should take much more than 6 yrs to earn it. Even with teachers, it takes about 30 yrs to reach that. NO ONE should
get health insurance for free!! Supers of school districts make a ridiculous salary also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:32 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Unless youre moving to Austin, be afraid...be very afraid.

Remember thats the heart of Moderator cut: language removed
out there.
If youre a Glenn Beck fan, you'll fit right in but otherwise Texas is its own lost planet.

It aint easy here, but Long Island is still a fantasic place to live ...you'll realize that soon enough though.

See you soon.
; )

Crooks
Quoting my Texas-living brother: (*^@^ *(^@&#@^ @*%!(!@!!!

Texas is a great place to live if your a young professional. Austin, San Antonio, DFW, etc all are easier living then LI. Not to mention the numerous smaller towns and suburbs where people like myself could move to get much more then here. Leave the stereotypes at the door please, getting more then a little tired of the "anything but LI sucks".

Old 07-11-2010, 10:07 AM

18 posts, read 31,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Quoting my Texas-living brother: (*^@^ *(^@&#@^ @*%!(!@!!!

Texas is a great place to live if your a young professional. Austin, San Antonio, DFW, etc all are easier living then LI. Not to mention the numerous smaller towns and suburbs where people like myself could move to get much more then here. Leave the stereotypes at the door please, getting more then a little tired of the "anything but LI sucks".

Seriously, as a Texas native, I can say that the major cities in Texas are not full of "Glen Beck fans." Small town Texas like many small towns are conservative. The big cities here are more conservative than most northern big cities but tend to lean liberal.

NYC/LI has a lot to offer but people are starting to realize that from a monetary standpoint, it is not always feasible to live there. One of my favorite professors is from Brooklyn and is as proud a New Yorker as I've ever seen...but even he loves it in Texas because despite making a fraction of what he used to make (as a top flight CPA and CFE...not a professor who does some other stuff on the side)...he can still live well in a very nice suburb of Dallas

Old 09-14-2014, 07:58 PM

36 posts, read 64,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassbin View Post
take-home pay of $5k a month = $100k a year?
Not quite 100k is about 60k take home and is still not enough.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:39 AM

483 posts, read 670,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBoy911 View Post
Lets say from your basic 2 bedroom house, to your basic one bedroom, or whatever it is, but this question is for OWNING ONLY.... NOT RENTING.... My guess is $5000 a month on average for just 1. Mortgage, 2. Taxes, 3. Gas to get to work and home, 4. Food and other necessities to live a normal life (WITHOUT ANY EXTRA"S), no wants just needs.

5000 per month sounds about right including health insurance taken out. I don't agree about extras. You should be able to put something by for retirement and have some small staycations and evenings out with that amount of money. Certainly you can find homes in the 2's in many decent areas.

Probably a life without worries at all maybe 100,000 per year.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Trouble with the entire south and midwest is you get screwed hard in retirement. Cost of living is dirt cheap and you can live like a king while working.

But in NY dual income couples are doing dual max of 401K plus dual max SS plus full 529 contribuition etc etc. Plus paying down a house that can be worth 10x texas.

Folks near me have primary homes in surburbs, a place in NY City or a Hamptons or Beach house as second home A middle class person like me can easily be siting on a net worth of 1-4 million by 50.

The cost of living is low down South but folks lose track of income. I recall years ago out in the midwest a middle aged accountant was making 60K a year and bragging about it and he had a stay at home wife and a big house. Meanwhile one of my staff was 23 years old making 60K in NY on the assignment and she lived at home and had no expenses. If she stayed at firm and made partner by time she was a middle aged accountant she would be making 600K a year.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
5000 per month sounds about right including health insurance taken out. I don't agree about extras. You should be able to put something by for retirement and have some small staycations and evenings out with that amount of money. Certainly you can find homes in the 2's in many decent areas.

Probably a life without worries at all maybe 100,000 per year.

To put in perspective how insanely little 100,000 per year is to live on I was on a Goldman Earnings call once and an anasyst asked the CFO why he only sees FICO expenses in January. CFO explians FICO or Social Security withholding are on approximately the first 100K of income. Since the vast majority of the firm makes over 100K in January it is a one month event. Granted bonus is paid in January but he is saying nearly everyone clears 100K in January.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:11 PM

483 posts, read 670,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
To put in perspective how insanely little 100,000 per year is to live on I was on a Goldman Earnings call once and an anasyst asked the CFO why he only sees FICO expenses in January. CFO explians FICO or Social Security withholding are on approximately the first 100K of income. Since the vast majority of the firm makes over 100K in January it is a one month event. Granted bonus is paid in January but he is saying nearly everyone clears 100K in January.
Average household income in Nassau County is under 95 grand so clearly someone making 1,200,000 would be in the "1 percent" club. Doesn't mean 100 K is nothing-it just isn't 1200K, or even 50 K. You can live a life without worries on 100 K this I know. I also know thiose who make 300 K that are living hand-to-mouth. I guess it is how you define happiness.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:45 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Damn. I don't make anywhere near 100k and I'm getting by.
I don't even know what 100k bucks looks like, money goes that high?
I own a house and a wife and a few kids. It's tight but we manage.
I guess I need the 100k to cover the Benz, Yukon, jet ski, boat, etc...you know, the essentials.
So I suppose I'm poor with my second hand vehicles, 4 bedroom cape and boat with only 1 propeller.
And no second home in the Hamptons or upstate or wherever.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:58 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Damn. I don't make anywhere near 100k and I'm getting by.
I don't even know what 100k bucks looks like, money goes that high?
I own a house and a wife and a few kids. It's tight but we manage.
I guess I need the 100k to cover the Benz, Yukon, jet ski, boat, etc...you know, the essentials.
So I suppose I'm poor with my second hand vehicles, 4 bedroom cape and boat with only 1 propeller.
And no second home in the Hamptons or upstate or wherever.
Amazing isn't it? Families do it on LI every single day. They make it work. But some on this board act like its impossible which is complete nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island