Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 14,808 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I am coming to long island next month.Please advise me accordingly

Need your help in coming up with living expenses in Long island..
Can you please advise me with an estimate who will be get deputed to Long island near NY..

I have come up with a conservative list of expenses here. Please chip in with your contributions if you think of something more...

Rent ( 2 bedroom )--------------> ????
Living expenses (listed below)
Car ( Fixed asset) ----------> $500 ( every month , assuming $5000 for a decent car)
Fuel for car ------------------- > $50
Insurance-----------------------> $125
Groceries for a month -----> $500
Others -> $300

Others = Drinks/Cinema/Park/Beach

Last edited by bvijaycom; 06-07-2010 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
What's a "Beedi"?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:49 AM

311 posts, read 1,019,782 times
A Lot depends on WHERE on Long Island you are going to live. There is a big difference between a 2 BR apartment in Roosevelt and a 2 BR apartment in Syosset, for example.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:51 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvijaycom View Post
Dear all,

Can you please advise me with an estimate who will be get deputed to Long island near NY..

I have come up with a conservative list of expenses here. Please chip in with your contributions if you think of something more...

Car ( Fixed asset) ----------> $500 ( every month , assuming $5000 for a decent car)
Others -> $300

Others = Beer/Wine/Whisky/Beedi/Cinema/Park/Beach
2br is about 2K/mo depending on where you go.
Car is an expensive note.
Fuel right now is 2.81/ga, so compare that to your current then figure your commute and MPG.
Insurance depends on your age/car/history. Insurance on LI is more expensive then most other places.
Groceries, what do you eat Filet every night?

Electric, oil, movies, dinners, etc are all more then your probably used to.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:59 AM

Ah..nothing like Google..a Beedi is a South Asian cigarette. Now if you have a beedi pack a day habit..figured $240/month for those beedis.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:02 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Ah..nothing like Google..a Beedi is a South Asian cigarette. Now if you have a beedi pack a day habit..figured $240/month for those beedis.
Aha! My new thing I learned for the day

In any case, where are you coming from and what part of LI do you plan on living in? Depending on where you're coming from we can probably give you a good percentage of how much higher or lower things might be in general.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 AM

I think it can be safe to assume the OP will be from India.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Default Voice of experience here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvijaycom View Post
Dear all,

Others -> $300

Others = Beer/Wine/Whisky/Beedi/Cinema/Park/Beach

A decent lifestyle with cash to toss around, no debt, some left over for retirement, a car that is paid-for, and a nice 1 BR apartment will require you to take home about $3,500 a month after taxes. For a quality 1BR, you're looking at no less than $1,200 a month, and that is out in Suffolk. It's a safe bet to budget $1,500 a month, more if you're in Nassau.

With a 2 BR apartment, add another $300 to $500 a month depending on where it is and what the amenities are. (Insert my litany of complaints against Fairfield Properties and usual warning against said company here. Seriously. If the sign says "Fairfield" anything, run.)

If you're only going to take your car to a nearby train station and use it to run a few errands around town, don't bother with even $5,000 for that, never mind financing. It's only going to get broken into at the station anyway.

If you are commuting into Manhattan on the LIRR, budget $350 a month for the ticket. Could be more, could be less depending on where you are commuting from. That is not including any subway rides once you are in the city.

Your budget is not accounting for utilities, which will easily come to $150 a month for a 1BR between gas and electric, so a 2BR will be more. When you move, the people at the utility companies (LIPA/National Grid) will ask you if you want to sign up for a plan that sets your electric and gas bills for a certain amount each month. My experience is that unless you like freezing or sweating your butt off, that option is generally a good deal, as there are no nasty surprises on your electric bill in the summer or your gas bill in the winter.

You also forgot your cell phone.

You forgot your cable and internet access, too. If you get the Optimum Triple Play, you can get cable, landline, and internet for about $100 a month. If you move to a new apartment after a year, they'll renew it. Otherwise, you'll get spanked for about $145, with no HBO or special channels.

In other words, if you're single and want to live alone, don't move here on less than $60K salary, $55K a bare minimum, $70K to have fun and afford a vacation somewhere away from here once a year.

Last edited by Yzette; 06-07-2010 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 AM

It's only going to get broken into at the station anyway.

Please don't give the OP such erroneous advice. I have parked at my station for over 20 years and not once was my car broken into or bothered in any way. Please stop painting things with such a wide brush.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 AM

280 posts, read 247,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
It's only going to get broken into at the station anyway.

Please don't give the OP such erroneous advice. I have parked at my station for over 20 years and not once was my car broken into or bothered in any way. Please stop painting things with such a wide brush.
I saw that and decided not to say anything because I'd be called a troll again. The closed-minded generalize to explain things they aren't intelligent enough to understand.

For the record, over 10 years of LIRR parking and my car was never broken into either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island