Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:36 PM

20 posts, read 40,750 times

Advertisements

I am not selling a home in AZ and we are looking to rent in LI. As for buying a home, in a perfect world we would like to put down 30%, whether or not we will be able to do that is left to be seen. Let me ask you guys this though, we are expecting to make 10,000 a month, take home, as servers. So, do you really think we will have a tough time making it on LI? And before you dismiss the take home pay as I wouldn't have believed it a few years ago either, working airport bars is a very profitable position, and looking at the sales numbers of JFK employees, we will be increasing our income by at least 25%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyaPHX View Post
I am not selling a home in AZ and we are looking to rent in LI. As for buying a home, in a perfect world we would like to put down 30%, whether or not we will be able to do that is left to be seen. Let me ask you guys this though, we are expecting to make 10,000 a month, take home, as servers. So, do you really think we will have a tough time making it on LI? And before you dismiss the take home pay as I wouldn't have believed it a few years ago either, working airport bars is a very profitable position, and looking at the sales numbers of JFK employees, we will be increasing our income by at least 25%.
I will be your dedicated guide to LI if:

-- you teach me how to be a server/bartender also

-- you share your employment connection at JFK with me (a short commute from where I currently live! Yay!)

I'm beginning to think white collar is not all it's cracked up to be. Particularly when it comes to taxes being ripped out of the paycheck and then having to do all sorts of maneuvers on paper to get any of it back. Maybe it's better to sling drinks and food and be slightly under the radar.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:42 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times
Spending money I don't have yet has always proven a bad idea for me in the past...

Old 06-09-2010, 12:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Spending money I don't have yet has always proven a bad idea for me in the past...
Yep. Nothing like counting on a "bonus" and nobody gets one ... LOL.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 PM

Serving and bartending is easy, just don't make people mad and keep em drunk. I'm really not any good at my job, but somehow I make money. The thing that you need to remember though, is while I will always be making 15-20% of my sales, you should be getting steady raises as you progress in your field. I have hit my max, and will only make more as cost of living increases which offsets any increase I get. Part of me is upset that I have found such a good gig, as going back to school seems almost pointless. I would be taking a pretty big cut in pay for a few year before I could start making good money again. That is a major reason we are looking to move to NY. While our monthly expense will jump, our increase in pay will hopefully jump even more.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:19 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
100K Take Home? Is that right? Looking at the folks I know, they aren't making anything close to 100K take home and they still enjoy life. The average LI person does not make anything close to 100k take-home. You'd need to be making 175k and up to be bringing that home, most folks are making two-thirds less. Okay, combine two teachers and you get to 175k +, or two professionals, but the whole island is not made up of teachers, cops and professionals - so where are they living? Not on the beach?
Scroll up. We were talking about how much it would take to live here with a family of four. I think 100K after taxes will cover a family of four on Long Island quite nicely.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:23 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyaPHX View Post
Serving and bartending is easy, just don't make people mad and keep em drunk.
Please tell me that you're not talking about pilots.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Please tell me that you're not talking about pilots.
After all of the trouble a few years ago, pilots won't even step into the bar. Even flight attendants wave you down in the hallway to make a to go order.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:29 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
It's only going to get broken into at the station anyway.

Please don't give the OP such erroneous advice. I have parked at my station for over 20 years and not once was my car broken into or bothered in any way. Please stop painting things with such a wide brush.
What kind of car do you have? I have a nice one and mine has been broken into several times...in various stations.

I walk to the station now.

Just saying. I don't think that is such erroneous advice as you state. Also, which station is your station? B/c some stations have more "activity" then others.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Scroll up. We were talking about how much it would take to live here with a family of four. I think 100K after taxes will cover a family of four on Long Island quite nicely.
Why is it that there are so many conflicting comments? People make it seem like you need to be clearing 200k to just make it as a family on LI? I know that taxes are high and all, but I just don't get how it would be such a struggle at 100k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island