Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 40,931 times

Advertisements

forget long island ...with a whole world out there why would anyone choose longisland..i was born and raised here im 44 and cant wait to get my family out of here...im moving to texas...goodby longisland...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 12:39 PM

8,900 posts, read 16,016,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaselvis View Post
forget long island ...with a whole world out there why would anyone choose longisland..i was born and raised here im 44 and cant wait to get my family out of here...im moving to texas...goodby longisland...

I like to be around cultured people, and that's why I don't think I'd ever fit in in Texas.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:39 PM

9,935 posts, read 23,259,103 times
Quote:

Goodbye to you too! Anyone who dislikes it here as much as you do, should move... to wherever

Old 12-26-2009, 03:04 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,235,249 times
Quote:

Unless youre moving to Austin, be afraid...be very afraid.

Remember thats the heart of Moderator cut: language removed
out there.
If youre a Glenn Beck fan, you'll fit right in but otherwise Texas is its own lost planet.

It aint easy here, but Long Island is still a fantasic place to live ...you'll realize that soon enough though.

See you soon.
; )

Crooks

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-26-2009 at 05:49 PM..

Old 02-15-2010, 10:53 PM

72 posts, read 193,877 times
You are ALL nuts. I am a NATIVE long islander. Our mortgage is only about 900k a month and our monthly expenses are NOT EVEN close to 5-6k.. Of course we bought the home in 1995, but I believe most here are living way above their means. I see an awful lot of expensive cars and homes that IMO are not necessary. Try driving cars that are not luxary and stop using the dam credit cards, maybe you could live fine here as we do. Our income is around 160k and we still manage to eat out and go on vacations. It can be done.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:58 PM

8,827 posts, read 21,359,006 times
$900,000 a month?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-16-2010, 06:40 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,971,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3 View Post
You are ALL nuts. I am a NATIVE long islander. Our mortgage is only about 900k a month and our monthly expenses are NOT EVEN close to 5-6k.. Of course we bought the home in 1995, but I believe most here are living way above their means. I see an awful lot of expensive cars and homes that IMO are not necessary. Try driving cars that are not luxary and stop using the dam credit cards, maybe you could live fine here as we do. Our income is around 160k and we still manage to eat out and go on vacations. It can be done.
Wow and I though my 1,500 mortgage(with taxes) on the Island was a lot
For the 10 million a year in mortgage payment you must live in the huge house on the water in Amagansett P.S I guess you only put 1 dollar down as a down payment.

Last edited by BigMike50; 02-16-2010 at 07:29 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,365,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3 View Post

Although I agree with the point of people living above their means here on LI with the luxary cars, vacations etc....

please don't come here and preach that 5-6K is completely inaccurate when you have a $900 a month mortgage payment. Great that you do, completely unrealistic to expect anyone else to have it. the rest of us who weren't fortunate enough to purchase in 1995 are paying somewhere between $2500 and $3000 a month on some pretty unimpressive shacks. by the time you're done with utilities, insurance, food, gas auto, spending another 2-3K is not living high on the hog.

you say it can be done... in your situation yes it can, I would be shocked if you purchased in 1995 had the income you had struggled to pay your bills. If you had to purchase after 2003, it would be a lot tigher for you, although definately doable on your income.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 AM

94 posts, read 256,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
Although I agree with the point of people living above their means here on LI with the luxary cars, vacations etc....

please don't come here and preach that 5-6K is completely inaccurate when you have a $900 a month mortgage payment. Great that you do, completely unrealistic to expect anyone else to have it. the rest of us who weren't fortunate enough to purchase in 1995 are paying somewhere between $2500 and $3000 a month on some pretty unimpressive shacks. by the time you're done with utilities, insurance, food, gas auto, spending another 2-3K is not living high on the hog.

you say it can be done... in your situation yes it can, I would be shocked if you purchased in 1995 had the income you had struggled to pay your bills. If you had to purchase after 2003, it would be a lot tigher for you, although definately doable on your income.
Heck my taxes are 833 a month Seriously I do know a lot of people living beyond their means.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:29 AM

72 posts, read 193,877 times
Most LI folks are living above their means, that is why they are so angry!! Ever notice that the average speed limit on the LIE is about 80? If you go 65 (which is way above the 55 speed limit) you are run off the road and cussed out. Everyone rides aggressively and they are angry. Angry about the recession and the costly huge home they purchased in the earlier 2000's when they knew deep down they could not afford it. I used to tell my husband, wow, these folks must make some income to purchase these homes and then CRASH!! This is why we are in the mess we are. Most folks on LI do not have an exceptionally high income, just average, but they do not spend like they are average. I have lived here since 1966, but the first chance I have, I will leave. I do not believe my teenaged child will ever be able to call LI home, and that is ok, there seriously are much better places to live. We are overcrowded and overcharged(and have very rocky beaches) The salaries on LI are not that high either, considering how expensive it is to live here. I wonder every day why more people come here to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island