Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 12:23 PM

45 posts, read 206,814 times

Advertisements

No place is perfect. But, after growing up on the South Shore in Suffolk, it has gotten almost impossible for a family to live on Long Island. The homes are very expensive, the taxes are high, insurance is high. Everything cost a great deal of money. If you have a job that pays over 100K then you can live here but what kind of life is it to work your butt off just so you can afford to live on Long Island. How many people can afford a mortgage payment of $2800, a LIPA bill of 154, a cablevision bill of 160, a car insurance bill of 225 and all of the other expenses for a month?

Regarding the Illegal aliens. I feel bad for them. It must be very rough to know that some people do not want them around. But, now that I have a child in public school. I am MAD!!! The district can not afford to educate the children in the district because the parents are not paying taxes to the school district. The illegal housing that some of them must live in robs my daughter from receiving a fair education.

Long Island has a lot to offer but it is getting too crowded, too expensive and too industrial for my taste.

I am mystified to the logic of : It is overcrowded than it must not be expensive..More people than more cars..than more roads needed, more schools needed, more shopping centers, less natural habitates, less affordable homes. Long Island should not be a "brand Name."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 02:11 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,984 times
It's very simple... If it's crowded then there must be plenty of people who can afford it. Thus, it must not be too expensive. Granted, there are people who can't afford to live on Long Island. However, they are outnumbered by those who can.

There are people in the U.S. who think a house costing $90K is too expensive. It's only expensive for them at their particular level of affordability. The next level may think a house costing $200K is too expensive... and so it goes.

Last edited by Check123; 03-29-2007 at 03:12 PM..

Old 03-29-2007, 03:16 PM

Your logic is very flawed Check123

NYC is one of the most expensive US cities to live in (yes, the salaries are higher in NYC) and it is one of the most populated cities in the US. The average home price in the US is about 207K. The average home on Long Island is above 300K. The average property tax is 3k in the US. I know that mine are almost 10K(with STAR). So, EVERYONE who stays on LI can afford it? Everyone who lives in NYC can afford it than?

You can feel that LI is not crowded and not expensive but your logic is flawed.

I do not think the people who can afford LI really out number the ones cannot. Why do some many SD have trouble passing their budgets? Why do s great number of people say that the property are too high? Why do people feel that the road are too crowded?

Are we all wrong?

Old 03-29-2007, 05:23 PM

491 posts, read 828,592 times
Quote:
cablevision bill of 160, a car insurance bill of 225 and all of the other expenses for a month?
Regarding the Illegal aliens. I feel bad for them. It must be very rough to know that some people do not want them around. "
$160 for Cablevision !
It that what Charlie Hoffa Dolan charges now ? ?
No wonder human legs and torso are washing on his private Oyster Bay Cove beachfront compound

Anybody that pays Cablevision $160 a month to pay for Dolans horses and MSG rackeeteering is an idiot, (I dont want to be insulting, Im not singling you out nothing personall but there are OTHER options as long as you dont fall into the contract trap's , kids spoiled with MTV. Most pay TV is garbage !

I have 2 neatly stacked rooftop antennas (1 VHF-FM, 1 UHF on rotor. All RG-6 low loss cable
I get CLEAR broadcast HDTV from Rhode Island to NYC through the whole house via a distribution amplifier. I split a Verizon FIOS, SKYPE voice over IP for phone $30 a year unlimited and thats global and can be carried to any LAN or open WiFi connection with a PDA or laptop.
Im at around $200 a year for phone, internet, and TV. My house is also all LED and CFL illumination. If anbody wants to watch a movie I download it or pop in a DVD and pump the video into the distribution amplifier (Aux ch 3 in ) and it can be seen at any TV in the house on Ch 3.
My sister spends $4000 a year between TV, Internet and phone THATS NUTS !!
Mines $400, If I cant get "The Game" at the Garden I go to the bar or a friends no big deal, sports aint everything.

Illegals....They need to leave or clearly be showed they are not welcome here. What criminals and free loaders, They dont use birth control. Once they send $$ home to bring there family’s here and really start to multiply. They just will just keep having kids...money or not.
That will be the end of ALL the school systems and hospitals, burglary on all the East end vacation homes will go up 500%

Rat on them, there employers every chance you get.

Last edited by Joe L; 03-29-2007 at 05:56 PM..

Old 03-29-2007, 05:41 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch2007 View Post
No place is perfect. But, after growing up on the South Shore in Suffolk, it has gotten almost impossible for a family to live on Long Island. The homes are very expensive, the taxes are high, insurance is high. Everything cost a great deal of money. If you have a job that pays over 100K then you can live here but what kind of life is it to work your butt off just so you can afford to live on Long Island. How many people can afford a mortgage payment of $2800, a LIPA bill of 154, a cablevision bill of 160, a car insurance bill of 225 and all of the other expenses for a month?

Regarding the Illegal aliens. I feel bad for them. It must be very rough to know that some people do not want them around. But, now that I have a child in public school. I am MAD!!! The district can not afford to educate the children in the district because the parents are not paying taxes to the school district. The illegal housing that some of them must live in robs my daughter from receiving a fair education.

Long Island has a lot to offer but it is getting too crowded, too expensive and too industrial for my taste.

I am mystified to the logic of : It is overcrowded than it must not be expensive..More people than more cars..than more roads needed, more schools needed, more shopping centers, less natural habitates, less affordable homes. Long Island should not be a "brand Name."
Well either move or continue to pay thru the a** for things that cost a fraction in the rest of the US. Anyone who thinks that Long Island is the best place in the US really needs to get out more and travel somewhere other than the Jersey Shore. $160 a month for cable television?? Maybe take that money and join a gym instead. $225 for car insurance?? If you pay cash for a car you can afford, you can get away with having basic liability coverage only. And $2,800 for a mortgage payment (Assuming total PITI) probably doesn't get you much house unless you bought before 1995 or something. Look at what people pay in rent in most of NYC. The average rent all across the 5 boros was $2,545 in 2006 and in most of Nassau county you can't even find a basement apartment for less than $1,500 a month.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
$160 for Cablevision !
It that what Charlie Hoffa Dolan charges now ? ?
No wonder human legs and torso are washing on his private Oyster Bay Cove beachfront compound
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Well either move or continue to pay thru the a** for things that cost a fraction in the rest of the US. Anyone who thinks that Long Island is the best place in the US really needs to get out more and travel somewhere other than the Jersey Shore. $160 a month for cable television?? Maybe take that money and join a gym instead. $225 for car insurance?? If you pay cash for a car you can afford, you can get away with having basic liability coverage only. And $2,800 for a mortgage payment (Assuming total PITI) probably doesn't get you much house unless you bought before 1995 or something. Look at what people pay in rent in most of NYC. The average rent all across the 5 boros was $2,545 in 2006 and in most of Nassau county you can't even find a basement apartment for less than $1,500 a month.
WOW! I can not believe that my internet, telephone (w/ international calling , need to keep in touch with my Kiwi's) and Cable is much differnt from other people. I do not have any Sport packages ( I think thats what you were talking about Joe). I also can not believe that my car insurance is much different from others. 3 cars with roadside and the Allstate -total your car in the first 3 years- you get a new one- I do not have 20K sitting around and I drive a MINI not an expensive car, if that's what you were referring too.

Nick: I am not sure that you read my post as I meant it..LI is expensive and you can afford it great but why work your butt off to live here and not enjoy yourself. I have not been to a Ranger game in over 4 years and If I go an Islanders game I sit in the 300's with a group of friends and get the group rate. I bought my home in 2002. Yeah, paid through the nose but where a job is, is where you have to live. The taxes were good when we bought but now they are just too much for nothing and corruption (Brookhaven).

Old 03-29-2007, 06:57 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,984 times
Patch,

It's Economics 101. It's not flawed at all.

Last edited by Check123; 03-29-2007 at 07:07 PM..

Old 03-29-2007, 08:14 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,775 times
Quote:
WOW! I can not believe that my internet, telephone (w/ international calling , need to keep in touch with my Kiwi's) and Cable is much differnt from other people. I do not have any Sport packages ( I think thats what you were talking about Joe). I also can not believe that my car insurance is much different from others. 3 cars with roadside and the Allstate -total your car in the first 3 years- you get a new one- I do not have 20K sitting around and I drive a MINI not an expensive car, if that's what you were referring too.

Nick: I am not sure that you read my post as I meant it..LI is expensive and you can afford it great but why work your butt off to live here and not enjoy yourself. I have not been to a Ranger game in over 4 years and If I go an Islanders game I sit in the 300's with a group of friends and get the group rate. I bought my home in 2002. Yeah, paid through the nose but where a job is, is where you have to live. The taxes were good when we bought but now they are just too much for nothing and corruption (Brookhaven).
I may have been to one sporting event in 10 years and that was where my department at work went to a Yankee game after work. For those of us who only make in the ' mid - high five figures', you really can't enjoy much of the entertainment, restaurants or culture in NYC since everything is so outrageously expensive. Seriously, maybe I am different from other people in their late 20's but I have better things to do with my money than spending hundreds & thousands of dollars a month on overpriced, overhyped clubs & restaurants where people spend the equivalent of a rent or mortgage payment on a night out.

But seriously this is what I mean.. You must be living a good life if all you are complaining about are $160 cable bills, and tickets to Ranger games (which are outrageously expensive to begin with).

Home prices & rents are seriously overpriced for what you get. At least in California & in most other places, apartments looks somewhat modern. Here $1,500 a month gets you an unrenovated crappy studio apartment far out in Queens or in a bad part of Long Island.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:35 PM

491 posts, read 828,592 times
$160 a month cable bill and that’s not a premium movie with Sports MSG package's ? That rape, THATS A Fun little POWERBOAT, TRAILOR AND GAS in 2 years
I'd Tell Cablevision to STUFF IT Like I did 12 years ago when it hit $39 plus tax

Cars, I drive Classics with classic insurence, $175 a year full coverage and those cars go UP in value.
I use an old Jimmy for a primary with a toolbox, Win 98 WiFi, CB, air compressor and a tire plug kit with AAA Gold ($75 a year) I cut the big center console out so it more like a Camper Bronco. Lots of room and 24 MPG Hwy

... I hate all the new mid size utiliety's with the cup holders and makeup mirror's...."Gurly Wagans"

I tried to buy new in an S15 size, it was a waste of $$. A dealor tried to push a $28,000 for a Mercury Mountaineer on me, what junk "electronic transmission made in France" !
My legs didnt fit, I had to squat sideways and peek up to watch traffic lights, head hit the sunroof with the seat maxed out.
I'm only 6'1

I think people make themselves BROKE or just dont research or.....Spoiled !!
Some simply justify throwing away $$ in the name of "good taste" or to keep up with the Jones's especially on the N Shore.

Last edited by Joe L; 03-29-2007 at 09:05 PM..

Old 03-30-2007, 12:43 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,585 times
Default I agree

Well I have to agree 100% with this post from Patch2007. There's no question about it that LI is way overpriced. The LI salaries in general do not pay enough to keep up with the incredibly high cost of living. My Dad has a nice pension but my parents still had to move out of LI, and yes they also used the star program but their taxes were still around $9500 a year. Then add Utilities , food , insurance and the list goes on. So my parents moved to Vegas which they aren't crazy about but they can afford to live a nice retired life. Out here they bought a brand new 3 bed 2 bath home for 260,000 in a gated community, property taxes are less then $2000 a year.

And my brother-in-law is a teacher on LI and his soon to be wife makes 40 grand a year, but they cant afford to buy a house and live on LI.

So I agree that the vast majority of people on LI would say that LI is overpriced.

Now I miss LI, but we cant afford to move back. Yet at the same time if your going to complain & complain then deep down maybe your not happy dealing with pricey LI, why not just move?

Quote:
Your logic is very flawed Check123

NYC is one of the most expensive US cities to live in (yes, the salaries are higher in NYC) and it is one of the most populated cities in the US. The average home price in the US is about 207K. The average home on Long Island is above 300K. The average property tax is 3k in the US. I know that mine are almost 10K(with STAR). So, EVERYONE who stays on LI can afford it? Everyone who lives in NYC can afford it than?

You can feel that LI is not crowded and not expensive but your logic is flawed.

I do not think the people who can afford LI really out number the ones cannot. Why do some many SD have trouble passing their budgets? Why do s great number of people say that the property are too high? Why do people feel that the road are too crowded?

Are we all wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island