Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 06:54 AM

40 posts, read 207,861 times

Advertisements

"I'm reading rising crime, Illegal Aliens, Traffic day & night, low paying salaries on LI, high taxes, low job growth,high utilty costs, expensive housing, and a corruption problem?

If thats all true why stay?"

All too true! And a lot of people are NOT staying!

I was born, and raised on Long Island. I remember Patchogue in the 1950's. Everyone knew each other. Traffic was minimal. Taxes were rarely ever discussed. Crime was something you read about in NYC.

Now...forget about it....you would have to be nuts to volunteerily move to LI!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 06:54 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,786 times
Kelly, you sound like us.........

At least you are out east, a bit protected from the "crowd" but yikes the weekends in the summer.....forgitaboutit!

Your miricle mile comment made me spit my coffee out! I had clients in PJeff and Manhasset and boy oh boy the Miricle Mile was a trip in and of itself. I remember when 25A was surrounded by farms and a few homes and the old estates and the Miricle mile consisted of 2 or 3 stores and the Landmark Diner. Now, once you hit The Brookville Police station, you are in something like the city and watch out driving, you will ALWAYS be in somebody's way and they will not like it!

And NYMom, you are so right about Huntington-the new sidewalks and street lights and flower planters REALLY do look nice, but the traffic and the character of Huntington is just terrible now. And everytime it rains, Halsite STILL floods at the Harbor and goes all the way up to King Kullen and beyond-after 60 years, they STILL can't fix the drainage! Ah memories......

Old 01-31-2007, 07:31 AM

991 posts, read 4,619,198 times
Default Is it really that bad

Hello and good morning! Long Island has become a breading ground for the snobiest of snobs. The more affluent communities are filled with them. I grew up in Smithtown and I am in my early 40"s, I cannot believe how much it has changed, people my age that live their now are the meanest spirited people on the earth, a few years back my Mom was sick, I stayed with her and took care of her until her death, I lived in her house with my husband and tow children, one being a two year old at the time, the girl next door to my Mom who also had a two year old would make idle chit chat with me but never wanted to let our children play together, I later found out that because my husband did not make the same money as hers we were "lower than her" I now reside in Patchogue and that is the whole other end of the spectrum, where your neighbors are still self absorbed but add to that other problems in the Community, its not pleasant, I lived in Centereach for a while and although the district did not make the list of the best schools, my neighbors would at least help you in a bind. They were all caring hardworking people. There are some areas that still have a nice sense of community, Lindenhurst is another nice community orientated place.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:31 AM

491 posts, read 829,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Lindenhurst is another nice community orientated place.
I like Lindenhurst, nice little town with many "mom and pop's" nice looking parking. I like the machine gun cannon pointing West it makes my day ...Haa Haa

I live in Manhasset and its all true about the nasty vile Soccer moms rushing to Starbucks in the SUV's, letting there little monster brats only play with the hip rich kids.
I made my $$ overnight as a musician-engineer. I never played this game. I hate what has become this hostile, vile, snobby place and yes these Iranians Jews are the worst, they bitched about my Christmas lights (yes they were on timers).
Most are associated with the forever expanding North Shore LIJ hospital and live in the ugly new tan stucco Mausoleums in Great Neck along the water and McMansions on Shelter Rock Road.
I am moving the hell out of here (Manhasset) I bought an old house in Mattituck on the creek far from any water and sewer lines. I close in March going to restore it to original like the people on that street. ....And it isn’t going to have those ugly white plastic European windows.
It should be good quality of life for at least 10-15 years, dead end street, creek in the yard.

(Manhasset) dont vote, they are to busy watching fake reality TV or at a Lacrosse game.
The new Iranian and Great Neck Jew's, Spinny Hill people ALL VOTE. The town supply busses to Spinny Hill to pick those people up.
The Manhasset-Plandome Wall Street Dow Jones crowd are stupid sheep especially when it comes to politics and common sense. I have no clue how all these Ivey league educated natives could be so stupid, blinded, fat-lazy and clueless yet make the money they do.
Most dont know in 2007 all council****k's, BZA & Town Supervisor are 90% Jewish Democrats from Great Neck and one from Alberston
Whenever there is a public referendum with building or rezoning people around here (Manhasset) tell me "Baaah that'l never happen ! Anyway who cares as long as property values keep going up" "gonna sell my house for a big profit when my 4 kids graduate and retire to a mansion, golf and a Yacht in Hilton Head for 1/2 the money Joe"

Now if the High School budget doesnt include lacrosse or football uniform's these same people will storm the High School with axes
I had enough of this !

Last edited by Joe L; 01-31-2007 at 10:03 AM..

Old 01-31-2007, 10:16 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,697 times
You know what strikes me about many of the posts that complain about Long Island? The writer(s) cite how rude, unfriendly, intolerant, etc ("hostile, vile, snobby place" for example) they find the people to be... but at the same time they're describing those people in ethnic/religious/political terms ("Iranian Jews", "Jewish Democrats from Spinney Hill", and so on; I'm not singling out JoeL particularly -- there are several others who do this sort of thing as well -- only that his is conveniently right here on this forum page).

It's one thing to complain about how some people act, but why make a point of describing them according to nationality, race or religion? What the heck difference does it make whether a rude/hostile/snobby/whatever person is a Jew from Iran or a Baptist from Boston?? (I'm neither of those things, btw, in case anyone is wondering.)

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that people who complain about the behavior of others, are often the same ones who pepper their posts with ethnic, religious and/or political labeling?

Stereotyping and barely-veiled bigotry are offensive and uncalled-for. Period.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,589 times
Default Oh, come now

You must know as well as I do that for decades, if you went to a realtor and your name was Goldberg, you'd be shown a house in Great Neck. If your name was Jackson, you'd be shown a house in Manhasset. As long as you were white, that is.

When I went to Stony Brook, I got so tired of hearing bigoted malarkey that I elected to go live in the foreign student dorm. That, and hearing about somebodies bong, and how much it cost.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:35 AM

217 posts, read 961,790 times
I have to agree with most of the previous posters here. These conditions are true. I grew up in both Lindenhurst and Dix Hills. Lindenhurst is filled with wonderful people and closer homes and a sense of community. On the other hand Dix Hills has the worst people ever!! Phony, pretentious and sheltered that is what Dix Hills has become. It was nice when we moved there in 1993 but today it has been consumed by the people to the west the same way areas in Nassau county was, it is a breeding ground for very snobby and materialistic people for the most part. Most of this has to do with the migration of people from New York City to Long Island, they want bigger homes and that celebrity lifestyle. Its unfortunate that Long Island is turning into another L.A. metro. In 10-20 years it will be just like like L.A. & environs, especially Nassau County. My family really loves Long Island, heck we have been here our whole life, but due to the way the lifestyle/quality of life has changed, Annapolis, MD or Eastern Connecticut I believe my family was talking about. (They have to have the water and golf!!)

Only about a quarter of Long Island is still a nice place to call home- such as south shore of Suffolk county and northeastern part of Suffolk, including the north fork. Good luck to whom ever is moving to Long Island, its a great place, but be careful which town you choose- make sure it reflects you.

Last edited by gmagg; 01-31-2007 at 11:50 AM..

Old 01-31-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
It's one thing to complain about how some people act, but why make a point of describing them according to nationality, race or religion? Am I the only one who finds it ironic that people who complain about the behavior of others, are often the same ones who pepper their posts with ethnic, religious and/or political labeling?

Stereotyping and barely-veiled bigotry are offensive and uncalled-for. Period.
Are Italians, Irish and Greek people born and raised on the Manhasset /Port Washington Pinninsula causing all this trouble in The Town of Nort Hempstead? The answer is NO NO and NO.
It’s the new money doing it !
Doctors, lawyers and $$ Mid-Eastern asshats behaving like the Asians in Flushing. To them green space, fig trees, tomato plants, front lawns is wasted undevoloped $$ generating space !

I'm not racist my Girlfriend Sheila is 1/2 Jewish/Polish and she agrees 100%. Her 80 year old parents are pissed as well. Whats being said is simply the TRUTH told without the PC-ness drivel.
Last I heard we still have the US Constitution's 1st Amt.

Certain People always cry racism, spelling grammer when they are out of bullets however that doesnt change the hardcore blunt facts.

-Joe
Native New Yorker

Last edited by Joe L; 01-31-2007 at 11:58 AM..

Old 01-31-2007, 11:57 AM

217 posts, read 961,790 times
This is a great post As you can see, the areas that are changing quickest are in the Town of North Hempstead- Northwestern Nassau County. Seems that city people are pushing east down 25a and changing the characteristics of the area all too quick. Hope people preserve it- too many McMansions, traffic and fake new money.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagg View Post
This is a great post As you can see, the areas that are changing quickest are in the Town of North Hempstead- Northwestern Nassau County. Seems that city people are pushing east down 25a and changing the characteristics of the area all too quick.
People fleeing Queens will do-will pay anything to get there kids out of the NYC School system. They get more desparate with each passing year. They will rent, live with relitives, in houseboats whatever it takes.
Its a huge real estate demand, the schools are being flooded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island