Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:39 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,559,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What I find interesting is that you cite Elmont over Lakeview and trying to make the suggestion that Elmont is more middle class than Lakeview and seemingly has better schools than Malverne (which is where Lakeview students go). However, the very state be it, test scores, college entries, regents diplomas and incomes show the exact opposite and that Lakeview is in a better school district and a bit wealthier than Elmont.
Using the most recent data available:
Elmont Memorial JSHS Standard Ranking ('06-'07): 141.1*
Malverne High School Standard Ranking ('06-'07): 130.1*
Elmont Memorial JSHS Regents Diploma ('05-'06): 95%
Malverne High School Regents Diploma ('05-'06): 89%
Elmont Graduates Pursuing Post-Secondary Education ('05-'06): 96%
Malverne Graduates Pursuing Post-Secondary Education ('05-'06): 95%
Elmont CDP Median Family Income (2000): $68,646
Lakeview CDP Median Family Income (2000): $68,946
Elmont CDP Families Below Poverty Line (2000): 5.4%
Lakeview CDP Families Below Poverty Line (2000): 4.9%

*There is a further breakdown of test scores on the NY State School Report Cards that gives a slight edge to Malverne for the '05-'06 school year, but the scores are still very comparable. Elmont is also hurt by what appears to be a weak program for students with disabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties
John in Westbury brings up a very good point...how does the OP define middle class? Because some people on here have posted that making 150K on LI doesn't even constitute middle class.

From my own personal experience, I look for a good SD and neighborhoods that hold resale values.
I think it really depends on where you're living. You can live like a king in Levittown or not even be able to afford a home in Syosset on the same salary. That's why I took the median family income for all of Nassau & Suffolk counties in my list and went 10k under the lowest and 10k over the highest. Trying to keep it as simple as possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 12:31 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,520,370 times
Man, you really have it in for Levittown! LOL

I didn't mean your post on this particular thread regarding middle class, sorry about that. I was actually referring to another thread where 2 other posters stated that $150K doesn't qualify as middle class on LI.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:31 AM

659 posts, read 2,530,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

*There is a further breakdown of test scores on the NY State School Report Cards that gives a slight edge to Malverne for the '05-'06 school year, but the scores are still very comparable. Elmont is also hurt by what appears to be a weak program for students with disabilities.

I think it really depends on where you're living. You can live like a king in Levittown or not even be able to afford a home in Syosset on the same salary. That's why I took the median family income for all of Nassau & Suffolk counties in my list and went 10k under the lowest and 10k over the highest. Trying to keep it as simple as possible!

Thank you for the stats.
to Maisy

I am not bashing Malverne schools. I am entitled to my opinion that I think there are many better school districts and I stand by my opinion that Malverne is not ideal. No, I am not bashing the town of Malvene...I love Malverne. It is a very nice town. Yes, I had experience with the Malverne school system as did my brother. Yes, I know many people who attended Malverne. Yes, I think the high taxes should entitle a better school system. I will not get into personal details here.

I am very glad that you are having a great experience with the Malverne schools and I hope the school district continues to improve. However, just because I do not like something does not mean that I am bashing it. I thought that this forum was meant for people to post their opinions???? If you do not agree with me, that is fine. I, like you, speak from my own experiences. I do not post idly and I would never post about an area I do not know. That is the beauty of life and experiences...we all have different ones. I did not mean for this thread to turn into this debate. I believe we should respect each others opinions and let the thread get back to its original topic. Thank you.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:45 AM

222 posts, read 896,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
John in Westbury brings up.....
You mean VillageofWestbury....

Old 06-17-2008, 06:50 AM

222 posts, read 896,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Man, you really have it in for Levittown! LOL

I didn't mean your post on this particular thread regarding middle class, sorry about that. I was actually referring to another thread where 2 other posters stated that $150K doesn't qualify as middle class on LI.
That's insane...I have a finance background..and even when I confer with my CFO (lives in RVC) and VP (lives in Basking Ridge,NJ), we all agree that particularly if you bought prior to the housing boom $150K w an family of 4 is solidly middle to upper-middle class in the NYC metro area.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:06 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,520,370 times
Oops, sorry Village!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:57 PM

[quote=sean sean sean sean;4130665]Using the most recent data available:
Lakeview CDP Families Below Poverty Line (2000): 4.9%]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also keep in mind that much of Elmont is zoned for Sewanhaka High School, not Elmont Memorial. One would also need to compare Malverne to Sewanhaka to be completely fair.

When I lived in Elmont I was zoned for Sewanhaka High School, not Elmont Memorial. I was not referring to Elmont Memorial in my posting of malverne vs. Elmont schools. (Although my huband did graduate from Elmont Memorial and thought it was ok, I have no experiences with that school).

Old 06-17-2008, 01:03 PM

Malverne

Students1,663Spending per student$17,916General education spending$19,092,385Special education spending$7,407,286Instruction as percentage of all spending81.3%Pupil/teacher ratio11.0Average teacher pay$69,449Dropout rate3.7%Students receiving free or reduced price lunches37.8%Limited English proficient students3.5%Graduates receiving Regents diploma83%Graduates receiving advanced diploma29%

Sewanhaka

Students8,630Spending per student$12,881General education spending$63,683,246Special education spending$23,352,186Instruction as percentage of all spending79.3%Pupil/teacher ratio16.6Average teacher pay$68,216Dropout rate0.4%Students receiving free or reduced price lunches0%Limited English proficient students3.6%Graduates receiving Regents diploma91%Graduates receiving advanced diploma44%

from Newsday school report card

Old 06-17-2008, 07:45 PM

22,284 posts, read 19,656,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

Not sure where you got the income data, from the city data pages median household income for both communities

Elmont
census 2000 $62,511
2005 $69,700

Lakeview
census 2000 $68,438
2005 $76,300

Old 06-19-2008, 02:49 PM

213 posts, read 706,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
Thank you for the stats.
to Maisy

I am not bashing Malverne schools. I am entitled to my opinion that I think there are many better school districts and I stand by my opinion that Malverne is not ideal. No, I am not bashing the town of Malvene...I love Malverne. It is a very nice town. Yes, I had experience with the Malverne school system as did my brother. Yes, I know many people who attended Malverne. Yes, I think the high taxes should entitle a better school system. I will not get into personal details here.

I am very glad that you are having a great experience with the Malverne schools and I hope the school district continues to improve. However, just because I do not like something does not mean that I am bashing it. I thought that this forum was meant for people to post their opinions???? If you do not agree with me, that is fine. I, like you, speak from my own experiences. I do not post idly and I would never post about an area I do not know. That is the beauty of life and experiences...we all have different ones. I did not mean for this thread to turn into this debate. I believe we should respect each others opinions and let the thread get back to its original topic. Thank you.
Never intended to debate Elmont vs. Malverne and yes you are entitled to your opinion but when you state that the Lakeview community is poverty stricken and the homes are boarded up you are stating a mistruth and perpetuating a stigma that the Malverne SD has suffered from for decades. Fact is Lakeview is a middle class predominately AA community with nice homes and great recreation. The biggest issue facing that community is a lack of commercial tax base. The schools are not only trying to improve -they have improved tremendously. As you stated Malverne was a near the bottom academically-that was 10 years ago and the reason Malverne parents pulled out was b/c of the academics-not the minority population that has been there for 50 plus years. I would have done the same if my children were in the system then.

I never stated that Malverne SD was ideal or the best. Moderator cut: comment On another thread you stated Lakeview was "not a good area at all". I asked you to substantiate and am still waiting for your reply. You are part of the problem we have within the Malverne SD. Your posts discourage middle to upper class families from considering making Malverne or Lakeview their home and further discourage them from using the public school system.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-20-2008 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: keep it about the post not the poster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island