Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:27 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,608 times

Advertisements

Yes, if the OP had said things indicating a more upper-middle-class area/budget, I would also have suggested Dix Hills.

South Huntington and Huntington are both diverse at the HS level; however, this is less true at the elementary school level, because the minority population is concentrated in Huntington Station--not so nice. However, there really are some nice areas in both districts and I think they can be unfairly maligned here. As I've said in many threads, I would not class either district in the top tier (by LI standards), but they're not bad by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 07:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaam View Post
Can anyone tell me where the middle class african americans live? I'm open to both nassau and suffolk counties
I'm in Stony Brook. There is some diversity out this way, compliments of SUNY Stony Brook and several hospitals in the area. There is a larger Asian population than African American, however, there are African American families living here, some mixed race marriages, some African American and Native American blended families.

The school district (Three Village) is well-regarded as well.

I don't know if this is within the distance you are looking to move. If it is, it is worth looking in to.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:36 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Depending on price range Dix Hills/ Wheatley Heights would probably be a great option.

Dix Hills is mostly white, however does have a bit of a growing professional African American population, and it is situated in the Half Hollows School district which is quite diverse and one of the highest regarded districts on Long Island.

Wheatley Heights is also in the Half Hollow school district. It has a much larger African American population than Dix Hills mostly made up of middle to upper middle class African Americans

Old 06-15-2008, 05:11 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
People are responding with accusations here that are off base the OP STATED

Why would people that live in 99.9% white towns suggest they move there?
The responses (most anyway)IMO have been appropriate to the question!!!!
Don't get confused, Kelly....I think the suggestions are appropriate for the most part, but how come when these places are suggested in other threads they typically elicit a much different response from the user base here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres
Dix Hills is probably the best neighborhood that is also diverse.
Yeah, but it's also pretty expensive, no? I actually think Wheatley Heights might be out of the grasp of "middle class" as well. I'm not really sure though, I'm not incredibly familiar with that area. I think part of Melville goes to Half Hollow Hills schools too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaam
Can anyone tell me where the middle class african americans live? I'm open to both nassau and suffolk counties
The first two that come to mind for me are Valley Stream and Baldwin, but having some statistics handy never hurt! Here's a list of EVERY place in Nassau & Suffolk Counties that have both an African-American population larger than 10%* and a median family income between $65,000-$95,000. Please note that these figures are from the 2000 census and at that time the median family income was $72,112 for Suffolk and $81,246 for Nassau.

*Since these figures are eight years old, they're somewhat out of date and I'm using a low percentage of black population because it has increased considerably in most areas. Baldwin, for instance, was only 17.9% black at the time of the census, while the school district was at 40% for this year - a good indication of the current population.

Location...................MFI($).....%African-American
South Hempstead.......$85,259.....12.1%
East Massapequa........$83,373.....12.3%
Brookhaven................$80,863.....10.1%
Greenvale..................$80,292.....12.7%
Wheatley Heights........$79,745.....48.4%
Baldwin.....................$78,400.....17.9%
Westbury..................$77,988.....22.7%
North Valley Stream....$77,914.....44.7%
Greenlawn.................$76,917.....10.3%
Bridgehampton...........$74,583.....17.4%
Yaphank...................$72,348.....11.2%
East Farmingdale........$71,726.....14.8%
Coram......................$70,769.....33.6%
East Garden City........$70,048.....54.1%
Islandia....................$69,615.....12.3%
Bay Shore.................$69,046.....17.0%
Lakeview...................$68,946.....85.0%
Elmont......................$68,646.....34.7%
Long Beach...............$68,222.....26.2%
South Floral Park........$68,000.....59.1%
Uniondale..................$67,264.....55.5%
Deer Park..................$67,128.....12.1%
Huntington Station......$67,115.....11.6%
West Babylon.............$67,015.....10.3%

Old 06-15-2008, 05:30 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Don't get confused, Kelly....I think the suggestions are appropriate for the most part, but how come when these places are suggested in other threads they typically elicit a much different response from the user base here?
Sean, I live in a town that is always labeled as being "bad" by people that have never lived, worked or spent any time here. I have given up on trying to get the newsady reading sheeple of Long Island to see things for what they really are. I can understand completely why the OP would want to live in a community with other families like theirs & to fit in.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:59 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,703 times
I am surprised to see people mentioning some inappropriate towns to this family looking for a middle class black area. Someone mentioned Garden City. Not only is that very upscale (with million dollar homes), they have a coutry club there that doesn't allow blacks or jews. I don't think that would be a great fit for this family. My husband's company had a business meeting at one of the country clubs there and a very well dressed black vice president of the company was almost excorted off the premises until the owner vouched that he was an employee. (this was only 5 years ago).

I did teacher observations at the local middle school in Garden City and did not see one black child in my whole time there.

I don't mean to be rude, but perhaps some people may want to be a bit more realistic with where this family would be most comfortable, since that is what they are requesting.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:01 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
i Am Surprised To See People Mentioning Some Inappropriate Towns To This Family Looking For A Middle Class Black Area. Someone Mentioned Garden City. Not Only Is That Very Upscale (with Million Dollar Homes), They Have A Coutry Club There That Doesn't Allow Blacks Or Jews. I Don't Think That Would Be A Great Fit For This Family. My Husband's Company Had A Business Meeting At One Of The Country Clubs There And A Very Well Dressed Black Vice President Of The Company Was Almost Excorted Off The Premises Until The Owner Vouched That He Was An Employee. (this Was Only 5 Years Ago).

I Did Teacher Observations At The Local Middle School In Garden City And Did Not See One Black Child In My Whole Time There.

I Don't Mean To Be Rude, But Perhaps Some People May Want To Be A Bit More Realistic With Where This Family Would Be Most Comfortable, Since That Is What They Are Requesting.
Exactly!!!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:28 AM

353 posts, read 1,007,664 times
llama8 - I agree that Garden City is not the place to go. I myself was initially attracted to the area because the village, nice landscaping and a quick commute but I ruled it out when I read a newpaper article about how black women had to prove they lived in Garden City to be allowed into the public playgrounds while white women where not screened. They outlawed that practice but it seems any non-white person would stick out.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:30 AM

4 posts, read 12,632 times
Also, I will vouch that there about three black people in all of Selden/Centereach. Coram is probably a good option though.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatyummypuppies View Post
Also, I will vouch that there about three black people in all of Selden/Centereach. Coram is probably a good option though.
You are kidding, aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island