Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:02 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,271,462 times

Advertisements

Please get back on the original topic. Schools are an important consideration but this thread isn't about schools. Please move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 07:09 AM

659 posts, read 2,522,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy123 View Post
Never intended to debate Elmont vs. Malverne and yes you are entitled to your opinion but when you state that the Lakeview community is poverty stricken and the homes are boarded up you are stating a mistruth and perpetuating a stigma that the Malverne SD has suffered from for decades. Fact is Lakeview is a middle class predominately AA community with nice homes and great recreation. The biggest issue facing that community is a lack of commercial tax base. The schools are not only trying to improve -they have improved tremendously. As you stated Malverne was a near the bottom academically-that was 10 years ago and the reason Malverne parents pulled out was b/c of the academics-not the minority population that has been there for 50 plus years. I would have done the same if my children were in the system then.

I never stated that Malverne SD was ideal or the best. I simply said you should be better informed before posting. On another thread you stated Lakeview was "not a good area at all". I asked you to substantiate and am still waiting for your reply. You are part of the problem we have within the Malverne SD. Your posts discourage middle to upper class families from considering making Malverne or Lakeview their home and further discourage them from using the public school system.

What would you like me to substantiate???? Just because I do not agree with you does not mean that I am misinformed. I still believe that the Malverne school system is educationally still not completely up to par...but I am glad that it is improving. It is evident that their scores did rise, but I still do not think that they are good enough in comparison to the taxes. I also am not implying that the school is not good because of minorities. Elmont and Valley Stream are areas with many minorities and Sewanhaka and VS C and N are very good. One black family that lives on my parent's block is currently sending their girls to private school because they dislike the Malverne school system. I don't think it is a question of race, I think the academic quality is still not great (but it is improving). I am happy that you like the schools and like I said before, I do hope that they continue to improve. As an educator, I wish all school systems are equally great as it is only fair to the children.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:57 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,271,462 times
OK Folks.. get back to the original topic.. This bickering back and forth needs to stop. Answer the OP..

Old 06-21-2008, 12:30 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,371,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaam View Post
Can anyone tell me where the middle class african americans live? I'm open to both nassau and suffolk counties
It's sad that you have to ask such a question in the year 2008.

If you were in North Carolina, Florida or Texas, you would be more likely to ask, "Where is a good middle class neighborhood for me and my family to live?" instead of needing to qualify it by your race.

However, I will say that for Nassau I would recommend Valley Stream and for Suffolk, Dix Hills would be places you would feel more welcome than in some other LI neighborhoods.

Somebody emailed me this from the NY Times regarding this very subject. It is 6 years old, but I don't think much has changed on LI from then.

Study Calls L.I. Most Segregated Suburb - New York Times

Study Calls L.I. Most Segregated Suburb
By BRUCE LAMBERT
Published: June 5, 2002

This village and Garden City have been municipal neighbors for decades, one stop away from each other on the Long Island Rail Road, a four-minute ride. But despite their shared boundary, they are worlds apart.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-21-2008 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: only a snippet is allowed

Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 PM

8,009 posts, read 9,216,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It's sad that you have to ask such a question in the year 2008.

If you were in North Carolina, Florida or Texas, you would be more likely to ask, "Where is a good middle class neighborhood for me and my family to live?" instead of needing to qualify it by your race.

However, I will say that for Nassau I would recommend Valley Stream and for Suffolk, Dix Hills would be places you would feel more welcome than in some other LI neighborhoods.

Somebody emailed me this from the NY Times regarding this very subject. It is 6 years old, but I don't think much has changed on LI from then.

Study Calls L.I. Most Segregated Suburb - New York Times

Study Calls L.I. Most Segregated Suburb
By BRUCE LAMBERT
Published: June 5, 2002

This village and Garden City have been municipal neighbors for decades, one stop away from each other on the Long Island Rail Road, a four-minute ride. But despite their shared boundary, they are worlds apart.
Hey, its not just a racial issue. Garden City is unaffordable for 99% of whites living on LI too. Ironically, Hempstead in the past was considered to be MORE desirable than Hempstead. The 60's changed that , with the influx of renters especially those needing public assistance making the area become out of the realm of consideration for most middle and upper class people.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:12 PM

48 posts, read 138,044 times
IM just going to go ahead and say The "Village" of Westbury is a nice place to live. It's a very nice area with a large African American population. The village is a very nice area and is very diverse with many different ethnicities living there. it's pretty much a melting pot. The school district may not be the best but I graduated from there and I'm doing well.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,310 times
Default Middle class african americans live where?

The best place I believe is NW Freeport, NY . It is in the Baldwin Schools district and there is a wonderful neighborhood Civic Association.The area is called Stearns Park. There are beautiful historical homes on tree lined streets. I love living here!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:15 AM

222 posts, read 894,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernice245 View Post
The best place I believe is NW Freeport, NY . It is in the Baldwin Schools district and there is a wonderful neighborhood Civic Association.The area is called Stearns Park. There are beautiful historical homes on tree lined streets. I love living here!
I'm quite familiar with the area. I almost bought a home on Brookside Ave. in 2005. Very underrated. The sad truth is that if that area was not surrounded by Roosevelt and Uniondale to the North it would be $800K entrance fee. I really thought I would buy there, but my problem was the fact that it appeared to be the ONLY nice part of Freeport (except if you're right on the water). Roosevelt to the north and North Main st to the east and nothing much to the south. The Railroad Station is next to a big empty field and was missing the "R" in the Freeport sign (although most folks in Stearns Park probably get off at Baldwin Station). It didn't appear to have much of a downtown (although I know Suozzi has since annouced plans for Freeport's downtown re-development).

I still think the homes are beautiful, but IMHO there is more consistency in location and upkeep in places like Baldwin Harbor, and developments in northern Westbury like Carriage Hills, Wheatley Villa, The Hedges, Birchwood Knolls, Sherwood Gardens, Westury on the Green, Westbury Hills, and Jericho Gardens. Check them out.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:16 AM

198 posts, read 355,995 times
I met my wife in Nice, France in 1979.

She lived at 30 Marietta Drive in Westbury. Her dad had a structural steel consultant and design firm.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:20 PM

45 posts, read 134,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
I'm quite familiar with the area. I almost bought a home on Brookside Ave. in 2005. Very underrated. The sad truth is that if that area was not surrounded by Roosevelt and Uniondale to the North it would be $800K entrance fee. I really thought I would buy there, but my problem was the fact that it appeared to be the ONLY nice part of Freeport (except if you're right on the water). Roosevelt to the north and North Main st to the east and nothing much to the south. The Railroad Station is next to a big empty field and was missing the "R" in the Freeport sign (although most folks in Stearns Park probably get off at Baldwin Station). It didn't appear to have much of a downtown (although I know Suozzi has since annouced plans for Freeport's downtown re-development).

I still think the homes are beautiful, but IMHO there is more consistency in location and upkeep in places like Baldwin Harbor, and developments in northern Westbury like Carriage Hills, Wheatley Villa, The Hedges, Birchwood Knolls, Sherwood Gardens, Westury on the Green, Westbury Hills, and Jericho Gardens. Check them out.
Hey, I sent half my youth in Westbury, I even went to Westbury High School.

Those are very nice areas in Westbury, but don't forget "Poets Corner." I lived on Tennyson Ave for 6 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island