Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,807 times

Advertisements

This is in response to the message:

Brookside Avenue is a great part of North Freeport! It is safe, family oriented, and a great place to raise a family. Yes it has changed over the years, and is now predominantly African- American- Caribbean-... It was the decision of certain individuals to move out of Sterns Park. My family and I grew up here, and I wish I would be able to afford a nice area when I am grown (yeah right! I'm a professional, in my thirties!) I was afforded many opportunities while attending Baldwin schools and I am successful because of those experiences. Either way, being raised and living in Long Island is what I wanted.
Guess what? The Roosevelt and Freeport areas are coming back. Over time things can change... again! So think about Freeport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
I'm quite familiar with the area. I almost bought a home on Brookside Ave. in 2005. Very underrated. The sad truth is that if that area was not surrounded by Roosevelt and Uniondale to the North it would be $800K entrance fee. I really thought I would buy there, but my problem was the fact that it appeared to be the ONLY nice part of Freeport (except if you're right on the water). Roosevelt to the north and North Main st to the east and nothing much to the south. The Railroad Station is next to a big empty field and was missing the "R" in the Freeport sign (although most folks in Stearns Park probably get off at Baldwin Station). It didn't appear to have much of a downtown (although I know Suozzi has since annouced plans for Freeport's downtown re-development).

I still think the homes are beautiful, but IMHO there is more consistency in location and upkeep in places like Baldwin Harbor, and developments in northern Westbury like Carriage Hills, Wheatley Villa, The Hedges, Birchwood Knolls, Sherwood Gardens, Westury on the Green, Westbury Hills, and Jericho Gardens. Check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 11:52 PM

44 posts, read 150,787 times
Quote:
Also keep in mind that much of Elmont is zoned for Sewanhaka High School, not Elmont Memorial. One would also need to compare Malverne to Sewanhaka to be completely fair.

When I lived in Elmont I was zoned for Sewanhaka High School, not Elmont Memorial. I was not referring to Elmont Memorial in my posting of malverne vs. Elmont schools. (Although my huband did graduate from Elmont Memorial and thought it was ok, I have no experiences with that school).
It's about half and half. The Elmont School District has 6 Elementary Schools, 3 serve Elmont Memorial HS, the other 3 serve Sewanhaka HS. That said, Elmont Memorial is about 2% White. Sewanhaka HS is more so evenly diverse.

Last edited by Chroy; 10-14-2008 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: missed quote tag

Old 10-14-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I would recommend Elmont. I used to live there and motly middle class black families moved in (I would try to look in the part that border Franklin Square, the racetrack side isn't nice at all). Baldwin may also be a nice place to look as well as Huntington Station.
Please be accurate with your assessments. Which part by the race track isn't nice at all?

Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroy View Post
Please be accurate with your assessments. Which part by the race track isn't nice at all?

I would have to say the entire area of Elmont the surrounds Belmont Racetrack is really bad. It is very very run down. I can't be much more accurate than that except to say that I would never want to live anywhere in between the Home Depot and the racetrack (along Hempstead tpk). That is my opinion from growing up there and still visiting friends and family in the area. The rest of Elmont is fine. The Meacham Ave area is very nice still.

If you drive around the border of the racetrack within a few blocks, it looks like a slum. Unfortunately many people mistake the entire town of Elmont to be like that when it is only one particular section that is physically unkempt.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I would have to say the entire area of Elmont the surrounds Belmont Racetrack is really bad. It is very very run down. I can't be much more accurate than that except to say that I would never want to live anywhere in between the Home Depot and the racetrack (along Hempstead tpk). That is my opinion from growing up there and still visiting friends and family in the area. The rest of Elmont is fine. The Meacham Ave area is very nice still.

If you drive around the border of the racetrack within a few blocks, it looks like a slum. Unfortunately many people mistake the entire town of Elmont to be like that when it is only one particular section that is physically unkempt.
I would have to partly disagree. I can understand the area between the racetrack and Home Depot. But along Hempstead Turnpike from the Shell Station to Queens is fine, the area between the Carwash and Plainfield Ave is a little iffy asthetically , but that's only because of the way the area was developed back in the 1930's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island