Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I try to live in a realistic way. No one is going to take that $$ and pay off our debt. Not gonna happen. Therefore, my POV is that I'd rather have my tax dollars go towards helping the rest of the world rather than attacking it.
We can help ourselves and stop acting as the world's police force. Forget the money we spend trying to buy allies and strengthen our borders, our economy and eliminate our dependence on foreign oil as well as cheap products from overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
Well you know what, if you were able to actually do something about it, I would totally agree with you and vote you into office . But since you can't, I tend to agree with JustBored that they will continue pumping money into the war IN ADDITION to spending all that extra money on the food, and in that case, while I am not in favor of EITHER option, I would rather not spend to additional money on food while all that other money is already being spent.

But why are we even arguing about it. The government is going to do whatever they want anyway, in the end do we really have a say?
We are the government, too bad too many people like to think otherwise and don't exercise their right to vote. No vote, no voice!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:53 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,307,662 times
Default This is why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBored View Post
Let's say you have a bad high school.. Now all the principals, teachers rule with an iron fist, and you decide, you know what I don't like the way the high school is run, lets replace all the principals, teachers with what was an iron fist, to a democracy.

Now at first the students are happy, yeah no more dictatorship, but now after a while, they start to resent the democracy and they can't seem to agree on anything, and while the iron fist rule was too oppressive, this new rule, can't keep the electricity on!!! At least before I had power, and food, now I have no power to cook the food I do have.. So you and a few other students band together and start killing off the teachers, along with any students that are pro the new administration. And for shock you kill random students who just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time...

And you just want to take all the teachers away? Who would wind up ruling the school?
The people who can't agree? Or the band of students who are killing the teachers?
...I never discuss politics...Just Bored, relax. By the way I did mention that I would not vote for Hilary Clinton, but thought that you could logically debate that a senator from our own state (Hillary or whomever) might throw a little "pork" our way, in theory, if they were in the White House. You apparently are not a Clinton supporter...my point was having your region represented in the white house might get you a little favoritism...that's all. Whoever that person was...

As for your above analogy, which I suppose was to refute my earlier Iraq comments. I'll answer your final two questions...I don't care who winds up ruling the school (or Iraq). Let them kill each other for all I care. A dictatorship will likely rise again in such an environment and might just so happen to be the only way a country like that can "run". Oh well. Then we can get back to bolstering ourselves, our economy, and our thinning army back to superpower status. And then get back to working with countries like Iraq (and other dictatorships) like we should...with diplomacy and stacks of money and guns for whomever we want to rule the place (tongue in cheek)..

Old 05-19-2008, 01:03 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Would you prefer to LI children on the streets, in unsafe shelters, their parents begging for foods from pantries whose shelves are bare, soup kitchens closing because funds were cut?

We have to get our own LI house in order before we address the needs of those off of LI -- be it Appalachia or Armenia.
As for now, there are always options here - people on Long Island would starve by choice, not from lack of food. There is always a shelter, a soup kitchen, a church to help. Most other countries would consider that a luxury. IMO, it's a shame that children around the world are dying of starvation. It should not be happening in this day and age.

There are an estimated 4,000 homeless on Long Island out of over 7 million people, an incredibly low number. When it gets too cold out, volunteers spread out searching for the homeless to convince them to head into shelters.

County Executive Steve Levy encouraged the homeless to seek temporary housing.

"It's never the case that there's no room at the inn,"
Levy said.

Shelters reach out to Long Island's homeless -- -- Newsday.com (broken link)

How much extra money will come out of my paycheck a year for this initiative? $25? I have compassion for the poor that weren't fortunate enough to be born here. I'd rather have my tax dollars go towards that than war. I don't support amnesty for illegals either - the best thing we can do is help others within their own countries to better the world at large.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:09 PM

The number of homeless will increase as fuel prices rise exponentially, as more people are laid off, and the mortgage crisis looms.

If you want to send your $25 to some 3rd world child, (who will probably be raised hating the Devil USA,) be my guest -- it's your choice. But I don't support the government mandating me or you to do so. I'd sooner walk into the market, buy $25 worth of food products and give them to my local food pantry.

Go out and check out the homeless shelters and tell me you would want anyone you loved living in one.

Have compassion on your immediate neighbors; anything can happen and someday you might be in need of their compassion.

BTW -- weren't you the OP on the high price of groceries on LI thread?

Old 05-19-2008, 01:11 PM

I have compassion for everyone. But seeing how children live in other countries, I feel for them and think the world as a whole should help.

It's kind of narrowminded to think the rest of the world is raised hating the USA. Everywhere I've traveled I've been welcomed with open arms and interest. Other countries were ready to help us out after Katrina (even though we didn't take it)
International response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My family was in a homeless shelter for a short period of time (only a few days) when I was younger. I was glad that I was even availed that option in tough times, rather than having no choice and sleeping on the street. Maybe that's why I think we should help.

Don't assume I don't have compassion for my fellow Americans simply because I also do for non-Americans. I help run the United Way drive at my place of employment every year, and a matching donation comes out of my paycheck weekly.

edit - and yes, I was the OP on the high price of groceries post - what does that have to do with this?

Last edited by newtoli; 05-19-2008 at 02:01 PM..

Old 05-19-2008, 01:44 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,307,662 times
Default Not like you OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The number of homeless will increase as fuel prices rise exponentially, as more people are laid off, and the mortgage crisis looms.

If you want to send your $25 to some 3rd world child, (who will probably be raised hating the Devil USA,) be my guest -- it's your choice. But I don't support the government mandating me or you to do so. I'd sooner walk into the market, buy $25 worth of food products and give them to my local food pantry.

Go out and check out the homeless shelters and tell me you would want anyone you loved living in one.

Have compassion on your immediate neighbors; anything can happen and someday you might be in need of their compassion.

BTW -- weren't you the OP on the high price of groceries on LI thread?
OhBeehave I believe the poster's point of supporting non US charity does not mean they are non-supportive of US based efforts. He chooses to support globally. Some could argue that helps locally.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:52 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,658,168 times
The US already supports so much of the third world both through handouts, military protection, outsourcing jobs, etc.

I mean, look at India and China...economies built on the back of America. What's the result...the prices for everything are shooting up b/c these people are building, consuming. etc. like fiends. They had jack 10 years ago.

Please, America and Americans are the most generous poeple on the planet. But there comes a time when enough is enough. We need to help ourselves, let the others help themselves.

Look at Myanmar...we were the first there and those pr**ks didn't even let us in. Should have said, ok...have fun, deal with it yourself.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:14 PM

I guess I may be too much of a bleeding heart

Out of all the crappy things the govt tries to do with our tax dollars, feeding starving children is something I can get behind. And it doesn't mean that I don't support people right here in the US. It can go both ways. Maybe I have a overly positive outlook of the world working together and helping each other out when in need.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:18 PM

76 posts, read 186,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
...I never discuss politics...Just Bored, relax. By the way I did mention that I would not vote for Hilary Clinton, but thought that you could logically debate that a senator from our own state (Hillary or whomever) might throw a little "pork" our way, in theory, if they were in the White House. You apparently are not a Clinton supporter...my point was having your region represented in the white house might get you a little favoritism...that's all. Whoever that person was...

As for your above analogy, which I suppose was to refute my earlier Iraq comments. I'll answer your final two questions...I don't care who winds up ruling the school (or Iraq). Let them kill each other for all I care. A dictatorship will likely rise again in such an environment and might just so happen to be the only way a country like that can "run". Oh well. Then we can get back to bolstering ourselves, our economy, and our thinning army back to superpower status. And then get back to working with countries like Iraq (and other dictatorships) like we should...with diplomacy and stacks of money and guns for whomever we want to rule the place (tongue in cheek)..
Relaxed =P
Wish the world ran in "theory", we would've won the war by now ...

Shrug, we made the mess, we should clean it up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
The US already supports so much of the third world both through handouts, military protection, outsourcing jobs, etc.

I mean, look at India and China...economies built on the back of America. What's the result...the prices for everything are shooting up b/c these people are building, consuming. etc. like fiends. They had jack 10 years ago.

Please, America and Americans are the most generous poeple on the planet. But there comes a time when enough is enough. We need to help ourselves, let the others help themselves.

Look at Myanmar...we were the first there and those pr**ks didn't even let us in. Should have said, ok...have fun, deal with it yourself.
I think there were "strings" in the Myanmar aid when we first offered ? even so we offered millions and millions!

we only offered China 500k.. go figure..

And Just because I don't want to be forced to give my money to feed third world country doesn't mean I lack compassion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island