Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:09 AM

208 posts, read 913,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I try to live in a realistic way. No one is going to take that $$ and pay off our debt. Not gonna happen. Therefore, my POV is that I'd rather have my tax dollars go towards helping the rest of the world rather than attacking it.
Well you know what, if you were able to actually do something about it, I would totally agree with you and vote you into office . But since you can't, I tend to agree with JustBored that they will continue pumping money into the war IN ADDITION to spending all that extra money on the food, and in that case, while I am not in favor of EITHER option, I would rather not spend to additional money on food while all that other money is already being spent.

But why are we even arguing about it. The government is going to do whatever they want anyway, in the end do we really have a say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 10:17 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
It's true. My main motivation this upcoming election is to get the war stopped. Hopefully the candidates promising to end the war will hold up that promise if elected. The amount of money wasted for nothing on that war, it's ridiculous.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:20 AM

889 posts, read 2,407,075 times
Quote:
Would you rather your taxes be spent on the Iraq war, or to feed the poor in other countries? To put it into perspective, the Iraq war has cost 535 billion dollars over 5 years. The cost of this program is estimated at 845 billion over 13 years. I'd rather my money go towards helping others rather than war.
Lets face it, the Iraq war is not ending any time soon. In fact...it's not looking too good and there might be a possible Iran/US war.

We'll be paying for that AND this new bill.

Remember, when you go to sleep tonight don't forget to pray down to the mighty fed "Print more money Print more money"....because it's the only way this is all happening...it's a joke.

Meanwhile....in our own country ---my daughter just went to New Orleans with Habitat for Humanity and the damage from Katrina is STILL a debacle!

We will have a homeless or heatless society this coming winter if we don't do something about Oil prices....food prices.....Gas prices.....

and now we're going to go feed people from other countries? That's as smart as blowing up bridges in Iraq and rebuilding them! Who is paying for this???

Long Island is paying for a good part of this! No way the prices we pay for taxes is coming back to Long Island.....

Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 AM

889 posts, read 2,407,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post

But why are we even arguing about it. The government is going to do whatever they want anyway, in the end do we really have a say?

The only way we have a say is to tell our local Congressmen to stop voting YES for this CRAP

Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiBowman View Post
Lets face it, the Iraq war is not ending any time soon. In fact...it's not looking too good and there might be a possible Iran/US war.
This is why I will be voting for Obama. He is the only candidate presenting a plan to completely withdraw from Iraq.

Obama will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months. Obama will make it clear that we will not build any permanent bases in Iraq. He will keep some troops in Iraq to protect our embassy and diplomats; if al Qaeda attempts to build a base within Iraq, he will keep troops in Iraq or elsewhere in the region to carry out targeted strikes on al Qaeda.

As a candidate for the United States Senate in 2002, Obama put his political career on the line to oppose going to war in Iraq, and warned of “an occupation of undetermined length, with undetermined costs, and undetermined consequences.” Obama has been a consistent, principled and vocal opponent of the war in Iraq.

* In 2003 and 2004, he spoke out against the war on the campaign trail;
* In 2005, he called for a phased withdrawal of our troops;
* In 2006, he called for a timetable to remove our troops, a political solution within Iraq, and aggressive diplomacy with all of Iraq’s neighbors;
* In January 2007, he introduced legislation in the Senate to remove all of our combat troops from Iraq by March 2008.
* In September 2007, he laid out a detailed plan for how he will end the war as president

Old 05-19-2008, 10:50 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,307,279 times
Default Curious logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiBowman View Post

We'll be paying for that AND this new bill.

Remember, when you go to sleep tonight don't forget to pray down to the mighty fed "Print more money Print more money"....because it's the only way this is all happening...it's a joke.

Meanwhile....in our own country ---my daughter just went to New Orleans with Habitat for Humanity and the damage from Katrina is STILL a debacle!

We will have a homeless or heatless society this coming winter if we don't do something about Oil prices....food prices.....Gas prices.....

and now we're going to go feed people from other countries? That's as smart as blowing up bridges in Iraq and rebuilding them! Who is paying for this???

Long Island is paying for a good part of this! No way the prices we pay for taxes is coming back to Long Island.....
The following statement is not meant to adversarial (spelling) in any way...just want that disclaimer before I comment on politics (same goes for religion, etc )

The comment regarding not ending Iraq anytime soon and the potential war with Iran is a curious one to me...as if we should accept this inevitability. So we as a country can do something as drastic as go to war by invading another country (which I supported at the time) but withdrawing from a flawed effort is irresponsible? Hey, it didn't work, we failed, bad intelligence, whatever, let's focus on our country. Great leaders make informed decisions and sometimes change course when the chosen path is not working...but I digress.

As for feeding the world and this silly season of presidential empty promises and pandering, I think the only person that might ostensibly help out the Long Island region would actually be the Senator from our own state. The funny thing is she is either celebrated or villified (I am not a Hillary backer by the way) and I imagine many a long island republican would disagree with that sentiment. But shouldn't there be some logical benefit inferred by having somebody in the white house who was a senator from your own state, and they would subsequently stuff some pork in these homeland security bills and federal schools funding? Many islanders loathe that woman, but the funny thing is she would probably provide the most preferential treatment to our region...certainly more than an Illinois or Arizona senator would. Again, I ain't voting for her, just my observation.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 AM

76 posts, read 185,996 times
Let's say you have a bad high school.. Now all the principals, teachers rule with an iron fist, and you decide, you know what I don't like the way the high school is run, lets replace all the principals, teachers with what was an iron fist, to a democracy.

Now at first the students are happy, yeah no more dictatorship, but now after a while, they start to resent the democracy and they can't seem to agree on anything, and while the iron fist rule was too oppressive, this new rule, can't keep the electricity on!!! At least before I had power, and food, now I have no power to cook the food I do have.. So you and a few other students band together and start killing off the teachers, along with any students that are pro the new administration. And for shock you kill random students who just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time...

And you just want to take all the teachers away? Who would wind up ruling the school?
The people who can't agree? Or the band of students who are killing the teachers?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 AM

76 posts, read 185,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Many islanders loathe that woman, but the funny thing is she would probably provide the most preferential treatment to our region...certainly more than an Illinois or Arizona senator would. Again, I ain't voting for her, just my observation.
When B. Clinton became President, wasn't Arkansas one of the poorest states in the country?

And he was born there!

As for H. Clinton for higher office? She just threatened to Nuke Iran, would that
a) **** me off even more so I could build a nuke and nuke you back
b) She's going to nuke us, lets not do anything to **** her off..

Old 05-19-2008, 12:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
And relating to the original topic, yes, I am ready to help feed the rest of the world. I'd rather our tax dollars be spent on that rather than the war.

I've been to other countries and seen children lying in filth in the streets. Very few Americans will ever experience true poverty like that in their lifetimes. My family was incredibly poor when I was growing up, but we never, ever starved. We always had options. Food banks, churches, food donations from the schools. What we consider destitute and poor here, people in other countries would consider living high on the hog.
Would you prefer to LI children on the streets, in unsafe shelters, their parents begging for foods from pantries whose shelves are bare, soup kitchens closing because funds were cut?

We have to get our own LI house in order before we address the needs of those off of LI -- be it Appalachia or Armenia.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Would you rather your taxes be spent on the Iraq war, or to feed the poor in other countries? To put it into perspective, the Iraq war has cost 535 billion dollars over 5 years. The cost of this program is estimated at 845 billion over 13 years. I'd rather my money go towards helping others rather than war.
There are countries whose government takes that which we contribute to the poor -- it never makes it to those in need. We have those in need here whose country gives to other countries -- it's a travesty!

As for the war, we should take the $535 billion and reinvest it into our country, infrastructure and most of all our LEGAL citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island