Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2020, 02:15 PM

38 posts, read 32,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Do you even realize how long that would take to do? Forget about the cost.

I guess your great great grandkids would appreciate it.

They should have started it in 1985 after Gloria when it was suggested. Instead they came up with their tree trimming approach which has also cost a fortune and is a complete failure.

Also, let's not forget that we pay some of the highest prices in the country for electric. I think it's reasonable to expect great service for the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 02:47 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
My biggest problem has been the communication. We reported the outage at our house multiple times but the map said there was no outage. Called the automated line, they had no ETR. They tweeted evey half hour asking customers to send them a DM- tried that with no response multiple times. Finally got a human on the phone and he said well, it ways right on the map that it may be inaccurate. Seriously??

Got power back this afternoon. Crew was from Michigan. If this was their prepared response since they knew this was coming, I hate to see what happens when the models are wrong and we get an unexpected hit. Getting a generator as soon as we can find one in stock somewhere. It's supposed to be a bad storm season.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:03 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Just driving around the Kings Park area yesterday I see entire streets still blocked by trees that must have been 60 feet tall. When I saw potential 70MPH winds I thought there'd be some issues but not this bad. If they haven't even unblocked streets yet power is a ways off. If we get 100MPH winds here you'd be looking at 3 weeks of no power.

I'm semi-prepared now but I have to up my game.

I was out for a week with Sandy, only a day with this.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:17 PM

855 posts, read 450,232 times
Quote:
Do you even realize how long that would take to do? Forget about the cost.

I guess your great great grandkids would appreciate it.
Absolutely garbage infrastructure on this island is due to attitudes like yours.

And in the end it just crumbles while nothing gets done.

Could see noticeable improvement within 5-10 years for a number of communities. Start in more condensed areas. Leave the North Shore for the 2030's.

BTW while the cost is more for underground cables. It also has to be weighed against the massive cost of these cleanups after storms.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:09 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Lubby, she had to replace the actual meter? not the wiring to it? Learned something new, I always thought the meter was the utility company property because if you own it, you could in theory alter ir attempt to alter the meter.

My old area still out. Maybe tomorrow, although one person said they heard maybe this afternoon.
They replaced the wires to it too. they said the wires were crusty. They were shocked the electric meter lasted as long as it did. Allways Electric I highly recommend. They gave my mom a huge break on the price. She had gotten quotes from 2 others at $3,000 for the work these guys did. We have used Allways too. they are in bright waters. Also the pole in front of the house must have split at the bottom another time and guess what PSEG covered it up with Duct tape. yeah that's going to stop it from splitting more.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
And this is exactly what I’m talking about with paying through our noses for NOTHING. I am sorry that your mom had to go through all of that, I am happy she is comfortable again.
Thanks so is she

Old 08-07-2020, 06:16 PM

Anyone hear when Stony Brook is getting power. My boss has had no power since Tuesday.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:39 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
An attitude like mine eh? Sorry but if you want buried lines your bill would go up 50% and be completed in 2080! You would be the 1st person on here crying about the cost increase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Absolutely garbage infrastructure on this island is due to attitudes like yours.

And in the end it just crumbles while nothing gets done.

Could see noticeable improvement within 5-10 years for a number of communities. Start in more condensed areas. Leave the North Shore for the 2030's.

BTW while the cost is more for underground cables. It also has to be weighed against the massive cost of these cleanups after storms.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:15 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
An attitude like mine eh? Sorry but if you want buried lines your bill would go up 50% and be completed in 2080! You would be the 1st person on here crying about the cost increase!
Don't you understand we have engineers here, that have all the answers?

Old 08-08-2020, 07:01 AM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
I understand the storm was bad and trees coming down taking power lines down with them. But now pseg shut the call center down and is afraid to answer customers because they keep pushing back their time frames to restore power. Ironically have a 240 dollar bill I have to send. What a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island