Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 01:12 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,272,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Even more ridiculous. Its called political pandering by an idiot.

Power has been out for a whopping day (not even 24 hours yet at the time of this post) and most have been restored. This isn't sandy where people were out for literally weeks. Ridiculous isn't the word.
Most have not been restored yet. Still over 300K customers in 20K active outages.

No, it's not Sandy. Of course a lot of the outages then were due to storm surge damage and salt water intrusion on the south shore.

But your comparison to a Florida hurricane isn't apt either. I had Irma go directly over my home around 3 years ago. Power was out for days, a fair amount of damage was done in the area (none to my house other than a tree branch down and some cracked roof tiles) but Irma was a strong Cat 2/weak Cat 3 with around 110 mph and 140 mph gusts.

My point about LI was that despite all hundreds in millions of dollars spent since Sandy in "strengthening the grid" it still takes a major beating with a tropical storm with 80 mph gusts (actually I think the peak reported was 78). 80 mph is a lot, but there's a big difference between 80 and 110 and 140. LI didn't even get sustained hurricane force winds.

Maybe there's nothing that can be done. But it happens again and again.

https://www.longislandpress.com/2015...ext-bad-storm/

Hopefully LI will be spared anything worse this year. Imagine the damage if a Cat 3 like the 1938 "Long Island Express" hurricane hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 01:23 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,347,059 times
Quote:
Uhh real hurricanes have come through LI. Several in fact. Guess what we survived and power was restored. Shocking I know.

When I lived in FL the state was hit with several hurricanes in 2004 power in my area in some neighborhoods were out For weeks even with the “newer” grid and underground lines in our neighborhood. It’s no guarantee of anything. I’ll never forget that summer because of how brutally hot it was and not having AC for over a week

I think that is a hoax. Power was never restored after the hurricanes hit Long Island.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Unless they cut down all the huge old trees on LI there are going to be outages, and COVID is making it worse. We were warned before the storms crews would be smaller and restoration would take longer. Not sure what if any statements PSEGLI put out.

Trees will continue to come down because so many of the big ones grow in utility easements and the utilities don't care if they eff up the roots when they do work. My FIL had a big tree come down a couple months ago in a thunderstorm, and some crew was working there a couple of months early and probably damaged the roots. Those trees need to be cut up and hauled away before any work can begin and that takes time as well.

We have underground service here, I lose power here more than I ever did on LI. We lost power 3x in 13 years - once in a snowstorm, once when a transformer blew and once for the 2003 blackout.
Been here 10 years and have lost my power probably 10 times.

PS Now you see why forecasters tell people not to focus on the category of a storm. A tropical storm can do a lot of damage and cause a lot of problems.

Some trees can be pruned all year round. Some others have to be done in the winter otherwise the tree could start to rot out and die. Any tree can come down at any age, but yes generally the larger ones do because well they're larger.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:35 PM

Even if you eliminated all the trees on Long Island. Most neighborhoods still have the poles. Some would come down. Debris flying through the air could also take out wires or the entire pole.

Last month, when there was no storm to do it, I was on a side road and this truck towing a boat pulled out onto the road and his boat hit the pole and caused that to sway back and forth for a bit. Also caused the 2 poles it was connected to to sway as well. That could weaken the base as the actual earth around it was disturbed. So a storm like this could take that pole out easy.

The guy was not too swift. He had at least 50 feet of open space to pull out, he just chose to go near the pole.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:20 PM

3,529 posts, read 5,714,687 times
LILCO, LIPA, PSEGLI. Change the name, still the same crap service.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:06 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,779,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Most have not been restored yet. Still over 300K customers in 20K active outages.

No, it's not Sandy. Of course a lot of the outages then were due to storm surge damage and salt water intrusion on the south shore.

But your comparison to a Florida hurricane isn't apt either. I had Irma go directly over my home around 3 years ago. Power was out for days, a fair amount of damage was done in the area (none to my house other than a tree branch down and some cracked roof tiles) but Irma was a strong Cat 2/weak Cat 3 with around 110 mph and 140 mph gusts.

My point about LI was that despite all hundreds in millions of dollars spent since Sandy in "strengthening the grid" it still takes a major beating with a tropical storm with 80 mph gusts (actually I think the peak reported was 78). 80 mph is a lot, but there's a big difference between 80 and 110 and 140. LI didn't even get sustained hurricane force winds.

Maybe there's nothing that can be done. But it happens again and again.

https://www.longislandpress.com/2015...ext-bad-storm/

Hopefully LI will be spared anything worse this year. Imagine the damage if a Cat 3 like the 1938 "Long Island Express" hurricane hit.
Luckily the chances of a category 3 hitting a northern area like LI are very low unlike FL which is why there is something called hurricane codes there as I’m sure you know. In the early 2000’s the amount of storms that state was hit with was ridiculous. 2004 was a particular banner year. So glad I’m out of that place. Also it’s actually 240k affected customers and 10k active outages over 100k restorations in 24 hours I’ll give you that it’s not “most” yet.

176k according to newsrag

https://www.newsday.com/news/weather...and-1.47781266

Last edited by peconic117; 08-05-2020 at 03:41 PM..

Old 08-05-2020, 06:01 PM

615 posts, read 449,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Anyone catch the idiot on the weather channel referring to the Hudson as "west river"? I guess he thought since one side is called the East River the other side must be West River. Honestly thought I heard it wrong but he did it again a few hours later. No one in the studio corrected him I guess.
Weird thing is the Hudson River is also called the North River, at least around NYC.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:23 AM

7 posts, read 2,676 times
Context is many of these trees are sugar maples, a cheaper variety that isn't native to LI but was used widely to landscape the developing island. Live 80-100+ years generally. Known for great shade but weakish limbs and roots. Many planted in the late 40's/50's. That puts them around 70+ yrs. old now. Many are not in healthy shape despite big leafy canopies. They are also too big for many lots and definitely too close to wires. And anyone who's walked a dog knows the roots have wrecked many of the concrete sidewalks. A perfect storm for damage even in an imperfect storm.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:32 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,836,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Some trees can be pruned all year round. Some others have to be done in the winter otherwise the tree could start to rot out and die. Any tree can come down at any age, but yes generally the larger ones do because well they're larger.
yeah they can trim all they want but that isn't going to stop a tree with weak roots from being ripped out. My friend sent me pics of her street with several huge trees ripped out by the root and that weird thing where the lawn looks like a carpet laid over the top! looks like houses were spared on her street as far enough from the curb for tree to miss house.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,272,295 times
Quote:
Luckily the chances of a category 3 hitting a northern area like LI are very low unlike FL which is why there is something called hurricane codes there as I’m sure you know. In the early 2000’s the amount of storms that state was hit with was ridiculous. 2004 was a particular banner year. So glad I’m out of that place. Also it’s actually 240k affected customers and 10k active outages over 100k restorations in 24 hours I’ll give you that it’s not “most” yet.

176k according to newsrag

https://www.newsday.com/news/weather...and-1.47781266
https://mypowermap.psegliny.com/external/default.html

261K and 14K active outages as of the current outage map (last updated at 10pm last night). I don't trust Newsday numbers. They're reporting this -

"PSEG Long Island said approximately 160,000 customers remained without power overnight, down from a high of about 420,000 who lost power due to Tropical Storm Isaias. But this morning, the utility's outage map said more than 271,000 customers were without power."

Any way you look at it people will be out of power for days to come.

Still have family without power, still "pending investigation" and now ETA is Saturday night at 11pm for restoration.

All the more reason for investing in a generator and having enough gas on hand.

Last edited by markjames68; 08-06-2020 at 07:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island