Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:41 PM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,414,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The OP is being challenged to adapt to her new surroundings. She wants to return to her old environment, even though the favorable conditions she enjoyed don't exist anymore. OP, the feelings you're having are all nostalgic. You would be severely harmed economically if you come back here, and you'll be struggling to get off of LI again.

Be a survivor. Adapt, make it work, don't live in the past.
Wow, I knew alot of people would say the same thing but practically everyone is giving me the same advice! I'm not in a position to move right now so I have time to think about what to do in the coming years. In the meantime, I'll try to adapt to my new location. My mind tells me all of you are right but my heart tells me otherwise...ugh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 05:03 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Wow, I knew alot of people would say the same thing but practically everyone is giving me the same advice! I'm not in a position to move right now so I have time to think about what to do in the coming years. In the meantime, I'll try to adapt to my new location. My mind tells me all of you are right but my heart tells me otherwise...ugh...
I am not trying to be mean, but, maybe you need to try to focus on what is great about your new home, try to get involved there and maybe then your house will feel more like a home. Remember in high school when your heart wanted the football player and he was out of your league, you found someone else and were happy.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am not trying to be mean, but, maybe you need to try to focus on what is great about your new home, try to get involved there and maybe then your house will feel more like a home. Remember in high school when your heart wanted the football player and he was out of your league, you found someone else and were happy.
I've tried other things in addition to looking for a job in my new location. All of my attempts have failed. So it's a little hard to be happy here when nothing is working out. I'll keep trying anyway. I got an e-mail request today for a second interview so maybe my luck will turn around soon.

I had to laugh at your analogy though! I met the love of my life on a street corner in Queens when we were both in HS. He's the one aspect of my life where I struck gold. So there was no settling whatsoever in that department, lol! I also went to an all girls HS (so no football players there!) and hate football with a passion (thankfully my husband hates it as much as I do!). The only good thing about Superbowl Sunday is that there are usually good movies on tv during the game. But I know what you meant and thank you for your advice.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:34 PM

59 posts, read 82,433 times
>>When it was nice, it was cheap.<<

In 1963 Dad bought us a house in Bohemia. It was $14,000. And I remember even working two jobs he poured over the household budget every night scared to death he wouldn't be able to make ends meet.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
So it's a little hard to be happy here when nothing is working out. .
What was working out in NY that prompted you to move away?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:15 PM

814 posts, read 911,992 times
[quote=GPC;44179224]Wow, I knew alot of people would say the same thing but practically everyone is giving me the same advice! I'm not in a position to move right now so I have time to think about what to do in the coming years. In the meantime, I'll try to adapt to my new location. My mind tells me all of y
ou are right but my heart tells me otherwise...ugh...[/QUOTE

I've been through this to the point of depression so I went back in 2011, 2012, 2013 to visit of course and I found what I was missing needed to be fulfilled so I went to another Army foitball game cause I missed that, I stood and looked out over Bear Mountain overlook cause I missed that.

I went to Danbury Mall to show my kids the Caroseul in the food court and told them stories about how the mall used to be a fairground and the motorcycles every Sunday at Marcus Dairy.

I missed all this stuff so I went back to face it. The last trip was in 2013 and I found that I wasnt homesick but rather just needed to visit more, I left as a young 20 something in 96 and didnt return unti 2011, I stayed away too long which probably triggered my desire to wanna return.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:34 PM

852 posts, read 969,539 times
Back in the late 80's, I was away from LI for a year (Moved to a place I really didn't want to be in, for family obligations) and it was total culture shock coming back to the island after just that year. I couldn't even imagine what it'd be like if i were to do that today, after not having set foot on the island or anywhere in the Northeast for 15 years now! It's something I wouldn't even want to contemplate!

Old 05-25-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What was working out in NY that prompted you to move away?
Do you mean what wasn't working out in NY?

Old 05-26-2016, 12:17 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,210,340 times
This article will quickly make your homesickness go away. We all knew this was true for years though. Which is why many left in the first place. Just too darn expensive here. Always was & always will be. Many are making a quick exodus out & have been for long time. But for every person that leaves. Many more come. But these days it is NOT very good people coming here anymore. LI has turned into a ****hole. People can't find affordable rentals. People that own single family homes are where all the affordable apts are are asking too much. Because they need to meet their high expenses with tenant there. Face it utility costs are high & landlords have illegal apts so they are FORCED to include everything in the rental price.

The ones that are coming to LI now seem to be for the most part illegals. They are destroying what was once decent communities. No town is left untouched by this. Drugs. Heroin does not discriminate. It is in poor areas & the rich areas as well. As a matter of fact there was a bust made next door to me just last week! Noticed suspicious late night activity for last few years since neighbors son moved back in with mom & dad after college. He did not seem to work. But he was hanging out EVERY night in the overnight hours with his friends & cars parked outside. Guess his parents did not care or do anything. Well I recognized one of his friends pics from news story I saw. He was arrested last week by the local LIRR station. They said he was a MAJOR dealer & had guns as well.This guy turned out to be best close long time friend of neighbors 22 YO son! Needless to say block has been quiet since his arrest last week. And think he made some sort of plead deal because have not seen neighbors son either. He must have given them up. And my section where we live is a pretty high priced area. Nice to see no one hanging out from 2-5AM anymore! Just wonder what took so long to stop them.

Nassau County needs to set up a new hotline like Suffolk did. Look at all the drug busts they made since that hotline launched! They are getting so many calls.

The 10 most expensive places to raise a family in the U.S. - MarketWatch

Old 05-26-2016, 08:03 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post

The ones that are coming to LI now seem to be for the most part illegals. They are destroying what was once decent communities. No town is left untouched by this. Drugs. Heroin does not discriminate. It is in poor areas & the rich areas as well. As a matter of fact there was a bust made next door to me just last week! Noticed suspicious late night activity for last few years since neighbors son moved back in with mom & dad after college. He did not seem to work. But he was hanging out EVERY night in the overnight hours with his friends & cars parked outside. Guess his parents did not care or do anything. Well I recognized one of his friends pics from news story I saw. He was arrested last week by the local LIRR station. They said he was a MAJOR dealer & had guns as well.This guy turned out to be best close long time friend of neighbors 22 YO son! Needless to say block has been quiet since his arrest last week. And think he made some sort of plead deal because have not seen neighbors son either. He must have given them up. And my section where we live is a pretty high priced area. Nice to see no one hanging out from 2-5AM anymore! Just wonder what took so long to stop them.
LOL! Exaggerate much? Yes there are illegals on long island and it is certainly a problem, but illegals aren't buying 500k houses in Smithtown and Wantagh either, get real. In addition the illegal alien invasion is a nationwide problem, even the Ex-pat utopia's North Carolina and Florida have some of the highest illegal alien populations in the nation and growing fast. Same goes for Drugs. If you think leaving long island will some how magically transport you to some suburban drug free zone you are fooling yourself. Addicts and dealers are everywhere.

Popular Ex Pat Spots:

FBI agents arrest Cary resident on cocaine-selling charges | News & Observer

North Charleston drug bust nets nearly $200,000 worth of heroin, police say - Post and Courier

Stash of drugs, cash found in West Boca man&apos;s house, deputies say - Sun Sentinel

Suburban Oklahoma:

Major drug ring busted: 7 arrested, 4 wanted | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

Middle of nowhere Iowa:

5 pounds meth and more than $125,000 found in Henry County, Iowa drug bust | WQAD.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island