Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 PM

20,055 posts, read 20,867,177 times

Advertisements

I don't like urbanization and traffic and all the other urban crap which is basically what my LI has transformed into. My little suburb that I grew up in became Queens. I'm not happy about it. I resent it. I take it personal. I watched as every piece of vacant land became developed, then over developed and now over over developed. My town had many vacant properties and open land when I was growing up and it was an awesome part of my childhood. No internet, no Xbox. Outside. That was my toy. Now it's all developed and loaded with rude and obnoxious buttholes. And extraordinarily expensive.

I remember 6 minutes to Sunrise Highway from my house. Now it's 20 minutes. 20 goddam minutes to drive across town, it's probably a mile. So I'm going to move out to the North Fork full time while I sell my house in Nassau and research my ass off before pulling the trigger somewhere down south. I'm a redneck at heart and I haven't really fit in where I live for probably 20 years now. I love the outdoors and where I live now I don't even like to go in my own backyard anymore. Ugh whatever. Like the old saying, "if you can't beat 'em, move".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 09:58 PM

200 posts, read 285,517 times
Do NOT I repeat DO NOT move back here! There is NO future here. If you move back here you are moving back to an area of high taxes, big government, changing demographics, few or no good jobs and more trash moving in everyday.

You should thank your lucky stars that you live in NC and you escaped from this prison

Old 05-23-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Everyday you live in the past you miss today.
The best thing you and everyone who thinks like that can do is to simply get over it. Yes we all get emotional, I do to, it's human nature and nothing to be ashamed of BUT you need to balance that out with rational thinking.

The past is just that......the past and a memory in your head which you can't go back and do anything about BUT you can do something about RIGHT HERE AND NOW.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProffessorZoom View Post
Do NOT I repeat DO NOT move back here! There is NO future here. If you move back here you are moving back to an area of high taxes, big government, changing demographics, few or no good jobs and more trash moving in everyday.

You should thank your lucky stars that you live in NC and you escaped from this prison
What do you mean "you people"?

Old 05-24-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What do you mean "you people"?
I don't know what you mean.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:29 PM

852 posts, read 969,297 times
Quote:
I don't like urbanization and traffic and all the other urban crap which is basically what my LI has transformed into. My little suburb that I grew up in became Queens. I'm not happy about it. I resent it. I take it personal. I watched as every piece of vacant land became developed, then over developed and now over over developed. My town had many vacant properties and open land when I was growing up and it was an awesome part of my childhood. No internet, no Xbox. Outside. That was my toy. Now it's all developed and loaded with rude and obnoxious buttholes. And extraordinarily expensive.

I remember 6 minutes to Sunrise Highway from my house. Now it's 20 minutes. 20 goddam minutes to drive across town, it's probably a mile. So I'm going to move out to the North Fork full time while I sell my house in Nassau and research my ass off before pulling the trigger somewhere down south. I'm a redneck at heart and I haven't really fit in where I live for probably 20 years now. I love the outdoors and where I live now I don't even like to go in my own backyard anymore. Ugh whatever. Like the old saying, "if you can't beat 'em, move".
Sing it, brother!

Funny thing: The worse LI gets, the more it costs to live there. When it was nice, it was cheap.

Don't waste any more of your life in that God-forsaken place. There are so many wonderful rural places elsewhere, full of nice people, and still somewhat free (free as in free-speech , not free beer), and where you can live like a king on next to nothing. You can have some real acreage of your own; have neighbors who are nice people and helpful, instead of being surrounded by jerks whom you hate. You can shoot guns (In America, it's not just the cops and the criminals who have guns); drive on smooth roads with no traffic...the list goes on and on.

Just look for a place where it's cheap (Low taxes; I mean LOW, not "low by comparison to LI") and a place where other NYers don't go; the kind of place your friends and neighbors would make fun of, and never even think of visiting, much less moving to, and you, my friend [to paraphrase Ernest Hemmingway] will be an ex-pat!.

There are so many "big things" you get back when you move, but even the little things are just so nice, after NY- like going to the county clerk's office to register a vehicle, and getting out in literally TWO MINUTES. Or: Seeing your neighbor call the county road department because there's a bump where the new bridge over the creek joins the road...and a few days later when you drive on that road, you notice that the bump is fixed already!

I'll tell ya, living in such a place as this has really helped me to get over the heartbrokenness of all the woods on LI being gone where i grew-up! Yeah, you remember that, and value it! Those big wooods, where as kids, we'd play for hours or just walk for miles. It was our own world. It literally makes me sick to know that it's all gone. We got to see nature in those woods; to experience and value freedom; to learn self-reliance, and to have quiet time to think. Kids today don't have that. They have drugs and smartphones and new cars, and they remain perpetual kids, even in their 40's. They're cogs in a system, not individuals in a free society. The best they can hope for, is to follow the rules and be workaholics, and have a bungalow worth half a million bucks and a nice car and a few bucks on paper, which gets consumed by taxes and fees. It's sad- they'll never have what we had. And there's no reaching most of 'em.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:17 PM

I want a few acres.
And a "Tiny House".
Or a double wide.
I'm Done with the fancy house thing. It was cool for a while but its time to enjoy what time I have left and get out of the rat race. Don't want to be tied down anymore.
Slave to the system. Nope. No more.
Bank my money buy cheap, no mortgage, no headaches, no stress.
Gonna get out and do things.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:20 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Sing it, brother!

Funny thing: The worse LI gets, the more it costs to live there. When it was nice, it was cheap.

Don't waste any more of your life in that God-forsaken place. There are so many wonderful rural places elsewhere, full of nice people, and still somewhat free (free as in free-speech , not free beer), and where you can live like a king on next to nothing. You can have some real acreage of your own; have neighbors who are nice people and helpful, instead of being surrounded by jerks whom you hate. You can shoot guns (In America, it's not just the cops and the criminals who have guns); drive on smooth roads with no traffic...the list goes on and on.

Just look for a place where it's cheap (Low taxes; I mean LOW, not "low by comparison to LI") and a place where other NYers don't go; the kind of place your friends and neighbors would make fun of, and never even think of visiting, much less moving to, and you, my friend [to paraphrase Ernest Hemmingway] will be an ex-pat!.

There are so many "big things" you get back when you move, but even the little things are just so nice, after NY- like going to the county clerk's office to register a vehicle, and getting out in literally TWO MINUTES. Or: Seeing your neighbor call the county road department because there's a bump where the new bridge over the creek joins the road...and a few days later when you drive on that road, you notice that the bump is fixed already!

I'll tell ya, living in such a place as this has really helped me to get over the heartbrokenness of all the woods on LI being gone where i grew-up! Yeah, you remember that, and value it! Those big wooods, where as kids, we'd play for hours or just walk for miles. It was our own world. It literally makes me sick to know that it's all gone. We got to see nature in those woods; to experience and value freedom; to learn self-reliance, and to have quiet time to think. Kids today don't have that. They have drugs and smartphones and new cars, and they remain perpetual kids, even in their 40's. They're cogs in a system, not individuals in a free society. The best they can hope for, is to follow the rules and be workaholics, and have a bungalow worth half a million bucks and a nice car and a few bucks on paper, which gets consumed by taxes and fees. It's sad- they'll never have what we had. And there's no reaching most of 'em.
Good god Stooopp with the rose colored glasses. You sound like every cranky old man every generation before "back in my day blah blah blah". "Kids these days!" Times change. Get over it.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:37 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Good god Stooopp with the rose colored glasses. You sound like every generation before "back in my day blah blah blah". Times change. Get over it.
True, and it's all Darwinism if you think about it.

"Survival of the fittest" originated from Darwinian evolutionary theory as a way of describing natural selection. It's been misinterpreted to mean the strongest will survive. What it really means is the most adaptable will survive.

The OP is being challenged to adapt to her new surroundings. She wants to return to her old environment, even though the favorable conditions she enjoyed don't exist anymore. OP, the feelings you're having are all nostalgic. You would be severely harmed economically if you come back here, and you'll be struggling to get off of LI again.

Be a survivor. Adapt, make it work, don't live in the past.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:27 PM

852 posts, read 969,297 times
Quote:
I want a few acres.
And a "Tiny House".
Or a double wide.
I'm Done with the fancy house thing. It was cool for a while but its time to enjoy what time I have left and get out of the rat race. Don't want to be tied down anymore.
Slave to the system. Nope. No more.
Bank my money buy cheap, no mortgage, no headaches, no stress.
Gonna get out and do things.
YESsss! Personally, I've never seen the appeal of a fancy house. Sleeping in your bed, or sitting atthe desk or sitting on the couch, you really can't tell the difference. Keep you warm in the winter; keep the rain off your head. I gravitate toward small craftsman-type cabins/houses. 1000 sq. ft. is plenty for me. But land.... land to do with as you please and enjoy. Raise crops, raise livestock, ride ATVs or just walk around and enjoy the park-like atmosphere, knowing it is all yours. Land...the only way to ensure some privacy and separation from neighbors. Land is freedom (well, not in places like LI....); land is wealth. There are still places in this country where you can get land...nice land, for $1500/acre.

I have a home; I have land; I am pretty much self-sufficient. I owe nobody anything. I could live on what wouldn't make a respectable car payment for most people these days. What ever happens in the world; the economy, etc. it doesn't really affect me.

Money? Not interested. I have what I need and want.
Status? Couldn't care less. Who cares if I impress some idjits whom I don't even like? And for everyone someone is impressing, there's someone else doing better than they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Good god Stooopp with the rose colored glasses. You sound like every cranky old man every generation before "back in my day blah blah blah". "Kids these days!" Times change. Get over it.
You can change all you want. Some of us still value the enduring things in life. The same things most people have valued for countless generations. The things which work. Your flash-in-the-pan 15-minutes-of-fame pop-culture of people with no connection to the land; no roots; and no direction, other than materialism, is just a brief aberration- one which is often seen at the end of waning empires on the verge of social and economic collapse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
True, and it's all Darwinism if you think about it.

"Survival of the fittest" originated from Darwinian evolutionary theory as a way of describing natural selection. It's been misinterpreted to mean the strongest will survive. What it really means is the most adaptable will survive.

The OP is being challenged to adapt to her new surroundings. She wants to return to her old environment, even though the favorable conditions she enjoyed don't exist anymore. OP, the feelings you're having are all nostalgic. You would be severely harmed economically if you come back here, and you'll be struggling to get off of LI again.

Be a survivor. Adapt, make it work, don't live in the past.
Mere survival is for animals and brutes. Civilized people realize that time is the most precious commodity, and that using it in such a way as to live in harmony with ones environment, as opposed to creating an artificial environment to take it's place, is much more fulfilling than merely following someone else's rules to "win" in the artificial environment/economy. (And in that artificial environment, no one truly wins. I've met some very rich people, and they all have one thing in common: No matter how much they have, it is never enough. They're never satisfied. They can't be, because satisfaction does not come from the things which they spend their lives pursuing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island