Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:28 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times

Advertisements

You guys are pulling on my heartstrings!! How I miss the days of 'LIR. Someone sent me the entire playlist of WLIR from around 1983 to 2000 and a friend of mine & I have collected almost every song on MP3. Not a small task at about 30 gigs, wow. From Hillary (Drop Your Pants) to Ledernaken (AMOK). Actually it starts with 10,000 Maniacs & ends with Zodiac Mindwarp, lol.

I wasn't a huge club guy but I did enjoy a few over the years... Malibu was my favorite. I saw Twisted Sister at Rockaways & remeber listening to U2 in their first US performance at My Father's Place live on LIR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 11:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
You guys are pulling on my heartstrings!! How I miss the days of 'LIR. Someone sent me the entire playlist of WLIR from around 1983 to 2000 and a friend of mine & I have collected almost every song on MP3. Not a small task at about 30 gigs, wow. From Hillary (Drop Your Pants) to Ledernaken (AMOK). Actually it starts with 10,000 Maniacs & ends with Zodiac Mindwarp, lol.

I wasn't a huge club guy but I did enjoy a few over the years... Malibu was my favorite. I saw Twisted Sister at Rockaways & remeber listening to U2 in their first US performance at My Father's Place live on LIR.

LMAO! I forgot about Drop Your Pants! Now it's echoing in my head.......
AMOK was great -- I loved that song.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
I liked Eugene, by Crazy Joe and the Variable Speed Band.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 AM

73 posts, read 264,998 times
I LOVED Sparks, Spit Rocks, Hammerhedz (used to be Februarys). My cousin was the drummer for a cover band Kronin and then a band called Coldsteel. My favorite stomping ground was Industry in Island Park....it used to be the Rock Pile. My dad saw Twisted Sister there before they "made it." It was also called Paradise. It was on the water and they had outside decks and a volleyball net. I met my husband there....ahh who's to say ya can't find love at a bar LOL!!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 37,791 times
Smile Boogie Nights

What a great article- I worked at Buttles when it first opened-Renny owned part of that!! Good memories

Old 02-15-2008, 04:25 PM

101 posts, read 377,591 times
ahhhhhh industry...wow I forgot about industry. What about going to the city? I saw tons of bands at Lamour's in brooklyn and Raw in queens. God the 80's were fun!

Who remember's Cooch? He was everywhere and hung at WBAB alot and with Twisted Sister everywhere. He moved to the Poconos.

Then there was Archie and the Strong Island Boys always in the parking lot of Sundance begging for $$ to get in. There was an article in Newsady about them in the early 90s I think. They were tough but cool.

Then there was Streets in new Rochelle. We drove up there to see Nuclear Assault
metal \m/ lol

Old 02-16-2008, 07:13 AM

123 posts, read 647,380 times
There was the Angle in the early 90s for the under 18 DRE/LIR crowd (Mineola). Very exciting at 15. Many cute, Doc Martened boys.

I remember going to Paradise/Industry and Voodoo. Going to see my friends' bands at Feb's/Hammerhedz. They got three dollars or something for everyone who had a flyer. Murphy's Law and Bile stick out in my head as big, local bands.

I still remember when WLIR finally went off. I went to work listening to Malibu Sue, and at lunchtime it was a Spanish station. I hadn't heard anything so I was totally confused.

I hear there's some kind of WLIR station in Eastern Suffolk. Anyone listen to it.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I still remember when WLIR finally went off. I went to work listening to Malibu Sue, and at lunchtime it was a Spanish station.
Boy does that tell you something about the Island's changing demographic. When I think of the Island music scene I can't see how it could have worked without WBAB and WLIR/DRE. Radio, the clubs, record stores and the variety of bands all made it work for the music fan. I miss that time.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM

Just came across this and boy does it make me wish I still lived on the Island if just for the month of April. Guess I'll just have to settle for cranking up Live at Last.

ORIGINAL GOOD RATS REUNION SHOW
Peppi Marchello, Mickey Marchello, Joe Franco,
Lenny Kotke and John "The Cat" Gatto!
Sat. April 26th 2008
at BB King's in New York City

The Good Rats :: Live Rock and Roll at it's BEST! (http://www.goodrats.com/special_events.htm - broken link)

Old 02-19-2008, 06:58 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
How about the Salty Dog in Huntington? Hayloft-Smithtown, Dimensions-Commack, Shadows-Stony Brook
It became Shadows after it was The Mad Hadder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island