Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:49 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,395,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice View Post
Hello everyone
I got rid of undesirable tenants who, would for three years refused to follow the basic rules set in the lease. Also they did not have respect for my property. They paid their rent late, they fell behind for 5 months. Out of sympathy I worked with them in an understanding manner. All because they have children. So when I noticed they were running my house into the ground I sent them a letter of non lease renewal. 5 months before their lease was set to expire. Long story short it took them even with court action 13 months to leave. As an understanding landlord that I regret to have been. I fell for a sob story of how they didn't have money to pay rent. I let them use their 2 months security with the understanding that any repairs accrued by them would be done. Finally they were evicted by the court. They disapeared before the sheriff "who had yet to show up to execute the eviction order" They destroyed, my House. Mind you I'm in bed with Chase Bank. On a home equity loan I took out to fix my house and make it beautifull. Can I sue these ungratefulls for damages I have before and after pictures. My property value has taken a huge hit thanks to these people. What are my chances
Yeah I would have to agree that suing would be useless, they don't have anything apparently. How much was the rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 10:36 PM

32 posts, read 26,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am not an agent but I will say the above is just a broad based generalization. Not trying to be mean here, but you do have to accept that you were part of the problem. Why would you agree to accept cash every month? Just a guess but I would say chances are you did not report the income. If that is the case, then you too are at fault. Did you not think it odd that such well heeled people did not have a checking account or could not get you a postal money order?

Not all agents are bad, in fact most are not. But YOU need to do your homework when you have a home to rent. Did you ask the agent, if he/she did a credit check and or background check? Did you ask to see the results? Have you gone back to that agent/agency for advice? Did you solicit different agents before giving it to the one you eventually did or did you just go it alone?

You did not respond to my earlier suggestion that perhaps you were being less than forthcoming with the cash declaration. That does not excuse this unacceptable behavior on the part of the tenants but somewhere here you need to take more responsibility for the total debacle that you allowed yourself to get into. I understand that there was always an excuse but you should have never allowed it to go as long as you did. Was the outside of the home pristine and the inside a pig sty? That should have been your first clue. No, they are not right but you can't cry wolf when you too are partially responsible.
Guess what. I did report the income every cent!!!. I payed my property taxes every six months and yes they keep going up every year. I also payed my homeowners premiums. And at the end of the year uncle SAM took a big wet bite out of my rear! And yes the credit check was done on my tenants. and yes I checked and only got one of their refrences to call me back, the others never returned my countless phone calls. I didn't walk into this blind. I also on numerouse occations banged heads with this guy about paying me with a check. So he paid with CASH. It was completly deposited into an account I established with my bank. And yes like I said in the past I paid town of Islip permits to rent out my house and yes I turned down countless people who had unsatisfactory credit scores. And to end this I showed up at my house very often to pick up my mail and look around then my tenant and I had countless arguments about me comming to my own house, at times unannounced. like I said he hated to be caught off guard. Cry wolf I don't think so. Don't make me out to be the bad one here. There was a lease. And they paid their rent.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Guess what. I did report the income every cent!!!. I payed my property taxes every six months and yes they keep going up every year. I also payed my homeowners premiums. And at the end of the year uncle SAM took a big wet bite out of my rear! And yes the credit check was done on my tenants. and yes I checked and only got one of their refrences to call me back, the others never returned my countless phone calls. I didn't walk into this blind. I also on numerouse occations banged heads with this guy about paying me with a check. So he paid with CASH. It was completly deposited into an account I established with my bank. And yes like I said in the past I paid town of Islip permits to rent out my house and yes I turned down countless people who had unsatisfactory credit scores. And to end this I showed up at my house very often to pick up my mail and look around then my tenant and I had countless arguments about me comming to my own house, at times unannounced. like I said he hated to be caught off guard. Cry wolf I don't think so. Don't make me out to be the bad one here. There was a lease. And they paid their rent.
Oh I forgot to mention. I took pictures of my house and property before they moved in and after they moved out. With all the damages well documented.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 PM

Just so every one knows. I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm just a first time landlord who wanted to sell the house I inherited from my dear deceased mother. And thanks to a poor housing market I couldn't sell it. So instead of paying insurance, increasing property taxes, and my house sitting vacant. I decided to rent it. And I got burned! Alot of you can pass judgement or express your opinions, "of course it's your right". Here's the thing even if you do your homework, run credit checks and check refrences, and you check up on your tenants. Doesn't mean they are going to be saints! And if they do turn into undesirables. The courts protect them. It's a very uncomfortable situation to be in. It can happen to you. Remember you can talk like your perfect. Or you may know everything. But men and women are not PERFECT. AMEN!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:43 AM

13,072 posts, read 18,305,387 times
Quote:

There you go. I guess you were not getting quality people and on paper this guy seemed to fit the bill, B UT, when COUNTLESS folks don't call you back there has to be a reason. Red flag missed. It also sounds like you did this yourself and therefore have no agent/agency to speak to about your problem. Did you ever try to go to court with your concerns? Understand it takes time and money but it seems like you are there now anyway. Sometimes the low ball offers are, in reality the cheaper option. I aid earlier that you are only partially to blame.

Sorry, if you feel you are blameless in this, that is your prerogative, I would take the hit for ignoring three big red flags, lack of three solid references, no checking account or lease that specifically stated NO cash payments.

You are not alone, personal responsibility is becoming a dying art.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:56 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,416,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malakalot View Post
Yes you can sue them. Even if they can't pay if you win you can have a judgement placed against them. That will cause them more trouble than you can imagine. I would stay in small claims court if possible (depends on the amount of damage).
^^^
This!

Definitely get a judgment and put a big ding on their credit that future landlords smart enough to check credit cannot ignore! The best part is that it will STAY ON THEIR CREDIT REPORT until they pay you off, so they are stuck.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
And look what happened to you! Yet in another post you state you didn't return someone's phone call looking to check on them as tenants. You should really call that landlord back. As long as people don't know about them, they will be able to scam people and ruin their rental properties. These are what is called "professional tenants." They count on their last landlord being too disgusted to return calls. My aunt got one of those who talked her into not contacting his last landlord because of all these problems he described as the landlord's fault and stated that the "landlord was unfair and didn't like him." She rented to him anyway. He and his hoarder mother scammed her out of 7 months' rent until she finally got them out of there. Then she had to pay people to clean, purge tons of junk left in the apartment, repair, and repaint on top of this.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Ok folks I had inherited my house from my mother. I fixed the house for her, she had alzhiemers. I took care of her for 8 years. I had to put her in a home because she overwhelmed me with caring for her. She lasted only 2 weeks in the home.
she had a stroke and did not recover. she died at the hospice. so ownership of the house transfered to me. I tried selling her. But the houseing market TANKED! I was getting insulting offers. Finally I took out rental permits with the town of islip, I had the house inspected and it passed for a LEGAL rental. Got a real estate association involved and several agents brought in plenty of clients. I turned down plenty because of low credit scores. Finally a religeous couple come in with a decent credit score. I interviewed them. They gave me promises of how much they were going to take excellent care of my house and how clean they are. "and we work for the church and the community, feeding the hungry and helping the poor" So I gave them the chance and rented my house to them. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! The 1st year they were great! when I renewed the lease for 2 years thats when my problems started. They changed into undesirables. But as a first time landlord I had to honor the lease.
This is a typical scam of a professional tenant. There's one going around Nassau County who says he's an "assistant pastor" and the church doesn't provide him housing because of that and he and his wife and 3 kids need a place to live. He has a decent credit score because obviously he only pays things that go on his credit report. He pays the first month's rent and security and then never pays again and the landlord has to go to court and it takes a long time of no rent received to finally get him and his family evicted. I know someone who got scammed by him. Look out for a clean cut "religious" black "assistant pastor" in his early 30's with a wife and three kids scuttling around Nassau County and never paying his rent.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
This!

Definitely get a judgment and put a big ding on their credit that future landlords smart enough to check credit cannot ignore! The best part is that it will STAY ON THEIR CREDIT REPORT until they pay you off, so they are stuck.
send me a private and tell me more about this please.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:45 PM

852 posts, read 974,127 times
I would still sue them, even if they have nothing. One of these days, they are liable to trip over their own two feet or get blotto and fall off a ladder and sue somebody; or get in a car accident and have "whiplash", or inherit something or win the lottery.....or get a retroactive payment when they go out on disability, etc.......and it would sure be nice to have a judgment waiting there to direct the money they owe you you're way!

Just to have that judgment on them, wrecking their credit, so they can't tool around in a bertter car than you drive, would make it worth while!

Believe me, it happens more often than you'd think. Happened to some dirtbags I knew- between the death of a fambly member and a personal injury lawsuit ("Ow! My back!") they came into $100K literally overnight- but no judgments were awaiting, 'cause everyone figgered they were judgment-proof.

Funny too, they urinated the money away in a matter of months, with not a thing to show for it, and are currently on the dole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island