Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 04:48 PM

852 posts, read 970,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malakalot View Post
I like how most of the posters here have decided its somehow your fault. Lol C.D.
Typical NYers- blame the victims; help the culprits- just like the judges do, so that deadbeats get to live in your house for a year, rent-free. There's no reason for that. Where I live, you can get someone out in less than two weeks. (And believe me, I know how it is inNY- a family friend used to be the manager of a large apartment building in Queens. First, you can't "discriminate" when choosing a tenant; then, after having little choice in the matter, the state takes their side when they decide they'd like to live rent-free. And the same people keep doing the same thing, over and over- she'd see them in court a year or two down the road, after they stiffed somebody else- and of course, the state had unending compassion for them [all that's needed to qualify for the state's unending compassion are a few mangy rug-rats] but the poor landlord who was brow-beat by the state not to dare actuially make his own decision as to whom he rents to, gets screwed every time.)

And then everyone else has to further subsidize those deadbeats, because the rents have to be kept higher for the actual paying tenants- a form of discrimination caused by the state.

Disgusting, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:25 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,281,909 times
A post on Reddit about someone's awful hoarder house is a "competing website"? FAIL.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:10 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,213,405 times
If I see the car they are driving & it looks like crap inside & out it clearly says I will not be a clean tenant. We had a nice new car when we moved back here from out of state. LL said nice car...but whats with all the junk it in! We put as much as can in car that we did not want to give to movers. Luckily LL understood that. But if I saw a beat up old car with junk in car I'd think twice about renting to them. Especially if they reek of alcohol & smoke (of any kind).

Old 10-14-2014, 09:30 PM

32 posts, read 26,709 times
Default laws is the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
It's clear to me that some of it was done on purpose. But you're renting to people who obviously didn't care either way. Is there no legal way to check in on the condition of your place at random intervals throughout their stay?
When they answered the door there was always an excuse, Oh my wife is not well or one of the kids had mumps, Or they just werent home. And according to the law I have to make an appointment with my tenants at their convenience to take walk thru. The husband had a problem with me doing this because he didn't want a man in the house when he wasn't there. Also he hated to be caught off guard. At rent time he would call me to meet him somewhere to collect the payment.lol

Old 10-14-2014, 09:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,755,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice View Post
OK you ask about the damage done in 3 years. My entry doors and frames are dislodged and about to fall by themselves. My wood floors are discolored and scratched, and badly stained. My renovated bathrooms, towel racks ripped off the walls, cracked mirror on the medicine cabinet. New stand up showers were white, now their brown, with mildew and very dry caked up mold. One of the shower doors was taken off with broken hindges. They left holes in each of the 3 bedrooms walls, They left broken box springs and disgusting mattresses. The new doors I installed for each bedroom were white now their covered in filth and 2 of them look like some one used their fist to punch holes in them. My kitchen floor tiles discolored and some ripped off the ground a few were broken in half. My cabinet doors 4 were missing, my drawers filthy and 2 were nailed shut. My oven looked like they never used the self cleaning feature, Filth encrusted. My ceiling fans dissapeared, My dinning room walls have punchured 5 inch holes. I bought all my windows from the US window factory. all screens torn, FILTH, FILTH, FILTH. My finished basement that cost me 15k in floors and walls and baseboards. Resembles a new york city CRACKHOUSE! Has anyone ever seen a crack house on TV or the movies? My leather sectional sofa's in the basement looked like they were ripped apart with a knife. My backyard cluttered with junk tires and garbage. My new snowblower and lawnmower that were only 4 years old rusted like if they were left out in rain,sleet,snow. Plus they don't even work. My lawn and fence DESTROYED! Some of you think maybe I'm exagerating. My deceased mom is rolling in her grave. She was a retired RN. the house was her pride and joy, and spent lots of time growing beautiful flowers all around her house. I can honestly say my mom enjoyed very much hearing from friends, relatives and neighbors the compliments on how beautifull her house was. Now it looks like a DUMP!
I am sorry you've experienced this. My in-laws last tenant ever destroyed their rental house much like you've described and went so far as to smear excrement on walls and such.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I am sorry you've experienced this. My in-laws last tenant ever destroyed their rental house much like you've described and went so far as to smear excrement on walls and such.
You know how devastated I am " I know it's denial" Accepting the fact that human beings can actually be this way. Oh yeah I forgot these people had the audacity to put me down as a refrence. I got called by their next victim landlord and I didn't return his call. God help who ever rents to these people.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,755,320 times
Quote:
You know how devastated I am " I know it's denial" Accepting the fact that human beings can actually be this way. Oh yeah I forgot these people had the audacity to put me down as a refrence. I got called by their next victim landlord and I didn't return his call. God help who ever rents to these people.
You should have "paid it forward" and warned the next person.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,409,865 times
OP listen, I know its absolutely frustrating that you had to deal with these kinds of animals but look forward to the fact that they are gone now. You should first consult with a lawyer and see if you can sue these deadbeats. I would contact several lawyers and see if any of them would work with you.

If and when you relist your house for rent you have to be extremely picky on who you allow to view the apartment. I don't like to go through real-estate agents because they just want to rent it out to the first person available. A lot of them claim to pre-screen tenants but I know that they don't. For instance my friend rented out an apartment in his house to a small family that was evicted from their last apartment and bankrupt a few years ago. The real-estate agent said they were a nice, friendly family with good credit.

Here is what you should do. Post your ad for the rental on Craigslist but DO NOT list your phone number or address. Don't even list your name. Communicate with the potential tenants through email first and once they pass through your screening then call them and arrange for a viewing. Clearly write out the ad and mention that Pets or Smokers are not allowed. Note that all tenants will have to provide a copy of a valid driver's license, credit check, W2's, Last 3 months pay stubs, provide references and will have to go through a background check. Make sure you note that there will be a fee for the credit/background check and that a 2 month security deposit along with 1st month rent is required when signing the lease.

Don't just allow anyone to see your rental. Be very selective and ask the tenants a lot of questions such as "what kind of work do you do?", "how many tenants will be living in the apartment and do all of you work?", etc before you setup an appointment. You can ask about kids and children but DO NOT mention that you prefer not to rent to families with kids.

You need to be diligent when screening tenants. This is NY and some of these animals know the system and will take advantage of it. Only you can protect yourself from them. Once people see the strict guidelines they will get deterred and will look elsewhere.

Good luck

Old 10-15-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
OP listen, I know its absolutely frustrating that you had to deal with these kinds of animals but look forward to the fact that they are gone now. You should first consult with a lawyer and see if you can sue these deadbeats. I would contact several lawyers and see if any of them would work with you.

If and when you relist your house for rent you have to be extremely picky on who you allow to view the apartment. I don't like to go through real-estate agents because they just want to rent it out to the first person available. A lot of them claim to pre-screen tenants but I know that they don't. For instance my friend rented out an apartment in his house to a small family that was evicted from their last apartment and bankrupt a few years ago. The real-estate agent said they were a nice, friendly family with good credit.

Here is what you should do. Post your ad for the rental on Craigslist but DO NOT list your phone number or address. Don't even list your name. Communicate with the potential tenants through email first and once they pass through your screening then call them and arrange for a viewing. Clearly write out the ad and mention that Pets or Smokers are not allowed. Note that all tenants will have to provide a copy of a valid driver's license, credit check, W2's, Last 3 months pay stubs, provide references and will have to go through a background check. Make sure you note that there will be a fee for the credit/background check and that a 2 month security deposit along with 1st month rent is required when signing the lease.

Don't just allow anyone to see your rental. Be very selective and ask the tenants a lot of questions such as "what kind of work do you do?", "how many tenants will be living in the apartment and do all of you work?", etc before you setup an appointment. You can ask about kids and children but DO NOT mention that you prefer not to rent to families with kids.

You need to be diligent when screening tenants. This is NY and some of these animals know the system and will take advantage of it. Only you can protect yourself from them. Once people see the strict guidelines they will get deterred and will look elsewhere.

Good luck
Thank you. Your 100% right on the button. You taught me a valuable lesson about real estate agents. you are a treasure. Thanks again

Old 10-15-2014, 07:13 PM

13,064 posts, read 18,165,309 times
Quote:
Thank you. Your 100% right on the button. You taught me a valuable lesson about real estate agents. you are a treasure. Thanks again
I am not an agent but I will say the above is just a broad based generalization. Not trying to be mean here, but you do have to accept that you were part of the problem. Why would you agree to accept cash every month? Just a guess but I would say chances are you did not report the income. If that is the case, then you too are at fault. Did you not think it odd that such well heeled people did not have a checking account or could not get you a postal money order?

Not all agents are bad, in fact most are not. But YOU need to do your homework when you have a home to rent. Did you ask the agent, if he/she did a credit check and or background check? Did you ask to see the results? Have you gone back to that agent/agency for advice? Did you solicit different agents before giving it to the one you eventually did or did you just go it alone?

You did not respond to my earlier suggestion that perhaps you were being less than forthcoming with the cash declaration. That does not excuse this unacceptable behavior on the part of the tenants but somewhere here you need to take more responsibility for the total debacle that you allowed yourself to get into. I understand that there was always an excuse but you should have never allowed it to go as long as you did. Was the outside of the home pristine and the inside a pig sty? That should have been your first clue. No, they are not right but you can't cry wolf when you too are partially responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island