Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:20 AM

32 posts, read 26,867 times

Advertisements

Ok folks I had inherited my house from my mother. I fixed the house for her, she had alzhiemers. I took care of her for 8 years. I had to put her in a home because she overwhelmed me with caring for her. She lasted only 2 weeks in the home.
she had a stroke and did not recover. she died at the hospice. so ownership of the house transfered to me. I tried selling her. But the houseing market TANKED! I was getting insulting offers. Finally I took out rental permits with the town of islip, I had the house inspected and it passed for a LEGAL rental. Got a real estate association involved and several agents brought in plenty of clients. I turned down plenty because of low credit scores. Finally a religeous couple come in with a decent credit score. I interviewed them. They gave me promises of how much they were going to take excellent care of my house and how clean they are. "and we work for the church and the community, feeding the hungry and helping the poor" So I gave them the chance and rented my house to them. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! The 1st year they were great! when I renewed the lease for 2 years thats when my problems started. They changed into undesirables. But as a first time landlord I had to honor the lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 01:12 PM

126 posts, read 223,134 times
SandyJet - you do realize that it is illegal to turn down a tenant because of their family situation? You can say "no pets", but the instant you say "no kids" they can take you to court for discrimination.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:50 PM

715 posts, read 1,241,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless35 View Post
SandyJet - you do realize that it is illegal to turn down a tenant because of their family situation? You can say "no pets", but the instant you say "no kids" they can take you to court for discrimination.
I believe you can't discriminate against couples either. I remember seeing 'single occupant only' all the time on Craigslist when I was researching.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:11 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,538,306 times
If you know that they run an all cash business, and know where and what it is, I would probably start my "revenge" with that info.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:37 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,955,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice View Post
Ok folks I had inherited my house from my mother. I fixed the house for her, she had alzhiemers. I took care of her for 8 years. I had to put her in a home because she overwhelmed me with caring for her. She lasted only 2 weeks in the home.
she had a stroke and did not recover. she died at the hospice. so ownership of the house transfered to me. I tried selling her. But the houseing market TANKED! I was getting insulting offers. Finally I took out rental permits with the town of islip, I had the house inspected and it passed for a LEGAL rental. Got a real estate association involved and several agents brought in plenty of clients. I turned down plenty because of low credit scores. Finally a religeous couple come in with a decent credit score. I interviewed them. They gave me promises of how much they were going to take excellent care of my house and how clean they are. "and we work for the church and the community, feeding the hungry and helping the poor" So I gave them the chance and rented my house to them. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! The 1st year they were great! when I renewed the lease for 2 years thats when my problems started. They changed into undesirables. But as a first time landlord I had to honor the lease.
You mean a religious couple who work for the church were liars, tax cheats and scammers?

What was the damage they did to your house after three years?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:26 PM

13,078 posts, read 18,388,292 times
I would not have accepted cash but I think I understand why you might, unless you have reported all this cash as income, they will always have the final punch. For future reference, you can do a background check for about $125.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:07 PM

201 posts, read 335,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice View Post
I like how most of the posters here have decided its somehow your fault. Lol C.D.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:24 PM

6,397 posts, read 13,248,638 times
Moderator cut: language removed

I guess no one did yearly inspections on the house?

[quote=s13;36854127]Nope. Welcome to being a landlord, gotta take the bad with the good. And remember, it could always be worse:

Moderator cut: no links to competing websites

Last edited by nancy thereader; 10-14-2014 at 05:50 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 07:16 PM

32 posts, read 26,867 times
OK you ask about the damage done in 3 years. My entry doors and frames are dislodged and about to fall by themselves. My wood floors are discolored and scratched, and badly stained. My renovated bathrooms, towel racks ripped off the walls, cracked mirror on the medicine cabinet. New stand up showers were white, now their brown, with mildew and very dry caked up mold. One of the shower doors was taken off with broken hindges. They left holes in each of the 3 bedrooms walls, They left broken box springs and disgusting mattresses. The new doors I installed for each bedroom were white now their covered in filth and 2 of them look like some one used their fist to punch holes in them. My kitchen floor tiles discolored and some ripped off the ground a few were broken in half. My cabinet doors 4 were missing, my drawers filthy and 2 were nailed shut. My oven looked like they never used the self cleaning feature, Filth encrusted. My ceiling fans dissapeared, My dinning room walls have punchured 5 inch holes. I bought all my windows from the US window factory. all screens torn, FILTH, FILTH, FILTH. My finished basement that cost me 15k in floors and walls and baseboards. Resembles a new york city CRACKHOUSE! Has anyone ever seen a crack house on TV or the movies? My leather sectional sofa's in the basement looked like they were ripped apart with a knife. My backyard cluttered with junk tires and garbage. My new snowblower and lawnmower that were only 4 years old rusted like if they were left out in rain,sleet,snow. Plus they don't even work. My lawn and fence DESTROYED! Some of you think maybe I'm exagerating. My deceased mom is rolling in her grave. She was a retired RN. the house was her pride and joy, and spent lots of time growing beautiful flowers all around her house. I can honestly say my mom enjoyed very much hearing from friends, relatives and neighbors the compliments on how beautifull her house was. Now it looks like a DUMP!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:35 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,992,672 times
It's clear to me that some of it was done on purpose. But you're renting to people who obviously didn't care either way. Is there no legal way to check in on the condition of your place at random intervals throughout their stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island