Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 04:45 PM

99 posts, read 272,900 times

Advertisements

I have a 1br apt and they routinely "estimate" my bill at triple the amount I actually use. I have electric hot water and I still only use about $60 a month so there is something very wrong. Make sure you check your meter and ask them the meter reading when you first moved in. They are probably overestimating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 08:47 PM

852 posts, read 2,018,939 times
Default LIPA not sending envelopes, not paying postage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimlessly Wandering View Post
I just moved into an apartment in Long Island, and I just received my first LIPA and Keyspan bill. The LIPA bill came in at a whopping $379 for 33 days. It says I used 2112 kWh in those 33 days. My Keyspan bill came in at $80 because I'm on balanced billing with that. Even still, the actual usage was only $30, so Keyspan actually owes me money. I'm waiting till Monday to go to the LIPA office to figure out what's going on. Honestly $379 a month for electricity in a 2 bedroom apartment is insane, and I was paying less when living in a private home in Queens. I did some math, and using 2112 kWh in 33 days is the equivalent of using 2666 watts per hour, which I don't think I'm even close to using.
This month, LIPA did not send an envelope. National Grid didn't prepay the postage on the envelope - first time ever. Both have notes encouraging you to pay online; they're framing this as "keep the world green!" Really, it's cost cutting.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
This month, LIPA did not send an envelope. National Grid didn't prepay the postage on the envelope - first time ever. Both have notes encouraging you to pay online; they're framing this as "keep the world green!" Really, it's cost cutting.
Quite frankly, I think it's about time. Do I like paying postage? No! (although I've taken to paying on-line)
But let's face it, we're all paying for the postage anyway, and when companies are using "pre-paid" postage, they have to pay a lot more than the regular postage for that piece of mail--and so are we. End effect is, it's actually saving us money

Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,426,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Quite frankly, I think it's about time. Do I like paying postage? No! (although I've taken to paying on-line)
But let's face it, we're all paying for the postage anyway, and when companies are using "pre-paid" postage, they have to pay a lot more than the regular postage for that piece of mail--and so are we. End effect is, it's actually saving us money
I wonder if LIPA is going to pass along the 50cent savings to me. I wonder if they'll just credit my account or keep it and raise my rates AGAIN anyway....hmmmm

Old 03-15-2009, 08:48 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,426,958 times
Oh PS...HA!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:49 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
i wonder if lipa is going to pass along the 50cent savings to me. I wonder if they'll just credit my account or keep it and raise my rates again anyway....hmmmm
:d:d

Old 03-15-2009, 09:47 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemoll View Post
Since when do you have to pay the balance for switching the account over? I just moved in and switched the account over in my name with no problems. Also, I was just curious about balanced billing and was told that the family who was there 2 months prior had an average monthly electric bill for $87 (2 bedroom apt.) so I elected to see what my first few bills were going to be before jumping on the bal. billing. I'm waiting for my 1st bill to arrive.

Is this a normal thing to have to pay the balance of the landlord's LIPA bill?
I caught that too. If the previous person whose name the bill is in did not pay off the bill for the unit, the new tenant should not be asked to pay it. They got rooked by a total idiot at LIPA. Also, why did the bill say $23 was unpaid, when it was really a lot more? LIPA screwed up completely. Anything this person paid that was for BEFORE THEY MOVED IN, LIPA should refund to them. I know someone who moved into a unit where the last tenant owed LIPA a balance and it was handled differently. LIPA did not ask them to pay the previous tenant's balance, but they did ask both her and her husband to come there in person and show picture ID to make sure it was not the same tenants trying to get electricity in a new name.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,143,835 times
my brother had a simalar problem. he was paying $400 a month and thought there was some type of mistake. he shut the power box off and the meter kept running! lipa came in and replaced the meter. now his bill is $235. lipa said it was a very old box from the 50's. lipa doesnt want to refund the difference now.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:35 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,341,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I caught that too. If the previous person whose name the bill is in did not pay off the bill for the unit, the new tenant should not be asked to pay it. They got rooked by a total idiot at LIPA. Also, why did the bill say $23 was unpaid, when it was really a lot more? LIPA screwed up completely. Anything this person paid that was for BEFORE THEY MOVED IN, LIPA should refund to them. I know someone who moved into a unit where the last tenant owed LIPA a balance and it was handled differently. LIPA did not ask them to pay the previous tenant's balance, but they did ask both her and her husband to come there in person and show picture ID to make sure it was not the same tenants trying to get electricity in a new name.
I had a similar situation when I moved into my apartment and had to fight it out.... eventually it was resolved.... the problem is that it was a 3 week bill they were charging me before I moved and during that time the apartment maintenance guys make the apartment "ready" for me to move in.... not sure what kind of electricity they were using but it was a large enough $$$ for me to dispute ....

Old 03-16-2009, 09:26 PM

929 posts, read 2,069,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimlessly Wandering View Post
I just moved into an apartment in Long Island, and I just received my first LIPA and Keyspan bill. The LIPA bill came in at a whopping $379 for 33 days. It says I used 2112 kWh in those 33 days. My Keyspan bill came in at $80 because I'm on balanced billing with that. Even still, the actual usage was only $30, so Keyspan actually owes me money. I'm waiting till Monday to go to the LIPA office to figure out what's going on. Honestly $379 a month for electricity in a 2 bedroom apartment is insane, and I was paying less when living in a private home in Queens. I did some math, and using 2112 kWh in 33 days is the equivalent of using 2666 watts per hour, which I don't think I'm even close to using.
A friend I know just moved into a 1-bedroom apartment in January and his LIPA bill was $65 and $80 in February. And he has 2 flat screens and 2 computers. Something is wrong with your bill, you might be paying the bill for the whole building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island