Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 04:21 PM

18 posts, read 24,737 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am considering a job offer located in Garden City and would like your input into some descent places to live. We do have 2 kids and the schooling is a key deciding factor. It is not only the quality of education but a cultural fit. To be honest I have been reading this forum for the past two days and am a little anxious about the school bit. There seem to be the a lot of segregation along the economic, racial, or religious lines for schools and for some neighbourhoods. We are a mixed one income couple white/asian and I want my kids to fit in somewhere, or at least not "stand out". Where would that be on Long Island?

My better half is Japanese so initially I looked in Westchester County, but the commute would be unacceptable according to people on that forum. Does anyone know if there are any Japanese on LI?...and where would they be? Obviously making my wife happy, would make me happy, or hedge the risk of her being unhappy

I am surprised at the cost-of-living and the taxes, and although the offer is good, now I am thinking it may not be enough to keep or improve our lot. The point of taking it would be to improve the situation and not uproot the family for an all-costs-in same situation. I have been looking through Zillow/Trulia sites to see prices, but it is impossible to see all the communities. The budget would be for a $700-$850 house.

And for those curious enough, we would be coming from the Toronto area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 04:28 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,728,547 times
Long Island does have great schools, and if I read correctly that your budget is $700-850k, getting into a good school district shouldn't be a problem.

You're right about Long Island being segregated-- I think NYT, or some publication like that, said that Long Island is one of the most segregated areas in the country. That said, however, I think Long Islanders tend to be more accepting of Asian people than, say, black people.

Also, what commute time are you looking at?

Just from reading your post, I'd say New Hyde Park would be a great place to start.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
You're right about Long Island being segregated-- I think NYT, or some publication like that, said that Long Island is one of the most segregated areas in the country. That said, however, I think Long Islanders tend to be more accepting of Asian people than, say, black people.

Also, what commute time are you looking at?

Just from reading your post, I'd say New Hyde Park would be a great place to start.
Well, I commute for just over an hour right now so something similar or shorter would be nice. The pressing issue is that we would still drive to Westchester for Japanese school on weekends or to New Jersey to this big Japanese supermarket in Edgewater I think. I would not want this weekend trip to become a "holiday road trip" because the kids already complain if they sit in the car for too long.

I think I may have read a similar article about Long Island. It said that the segregation issue is apparent all around New York City. And yes I am anxious as where I live it is like a United Nations and houses are anywhere between $400k to $1.4M and there are no issues in school. Well, not totally like the UN, the school has a pretty even mix of white, asian, and south asian...

I will take a peek at this New Hyde Park. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:48 PM

883 posts, read 3,723,838 times
Most of the top school districts do have fairly large Asian populations, but I have no idea which have larger numbers of Japanese. I would say find out which areas have the largest Japanese populations and use that as your starting point. Your budget is on the lower end for most of the top districts, but you will definitely be able to find something in your price range. Some districts offer more value than others, but if being around other Japanese families is important, then narrow down your choices based on that.

By the way, I don't think you'll find many issues with racism towards your family especially if you're in an area with a large Asian population. I wouldn't be worried about that at all.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:09 PM

703 posts, read 1,176,104 times
I would suggest Jericho.

I thought the Japanese school was in Greenwich, CT?

Old 04-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,728,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikuchanca View Post
Well, I commute for just over an hour right now so something similar or shorter would be nice. The pressing issue is that we would still drive to Westchester for Japanese school on weekends or to New Jersey to this big Japanese supermarket in Edgewater I think. I would not want this weekend trip to become a "holiday road trip" because the kids already complain if they sit in the car for too long.

I think I may have read a similar article about Long Island. It said that the segregation issue is apparent all around New York City. And yes I am anxious as where I live it is like a United Nations and houses are anywhere between $400k to $1.4M and there are no issues in school. Well, not totally like the UN, the school has a pretty even mix of white, asian, and south asian...

I will take a peek at this New Hyde Park. Thanks.
Actually, New Hyde Park lends itself well to those trips because it's rather close to the Queens border. I'm pretty sure you could get to the Throgs Neck Bridge in 10-15 minutes.

Socially, you'll probably find that people on Long Island will simply consider you Asian without delineating between Japanese, Chinese, etc. Like I said, I don't think you'll have too many problems.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:32 PM

487 posts, read 546,480 times
The Herricks School District has a very large Asian population. This district is an excellent, high achieving school district. There is a wide range of housing prices in this district which includes parts of Williston Park, Albertson, Roslyn, New Hyde Park, Searington and Manhasset Hills. It would not be difficult to find something in your price range in these areas. All areas are minutes from the Northern State Parkway and Long Island Expressway. These areas are also very close to Garden City. There is a very large Asian Supermarket in the area called HMart located on Hillside Avenue. Hope this helps in some way. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2014, 06:53 PM

11,659 posts, read 12,746,911 times
Herricks SD Asian population is mostly Indian, same for New Hyde Park. There used to be a sizable Japanese population in the eastern part of northern Nassau County during the 80s through early 90s, but many left along with the Japanese from the Fort Lee/Englewood Cliffs areas. There are still Japanese in Jericho and whle not exclusively Japanese, there are Asian markets on Long Island. You won't be the only White/Asian couple. You should be able to find a Japanese school in Queens or Manhattan? Another area to consider is Syosset. I really doubt that your children or you and your wife will have race problems here.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:53 PM

483 posts, read 671,809 times
It's not the West Coast, but there are plenty of Asians and multiethnic Asian/Caucasian couples on Long Island. I don't know where specifically the Japanese population is, but there is definitely an East Asian element. Certainly for 850 you have most of the districts available to you.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
I thought the Japanese school was in Greenwich, CT?
Yes, there is one but it is an actual school sanctioned by the Japanese Ministry of Education as I understand. Basically it is a full time school for expat kids who are taken out of Japan, and will return back to Japan. For us there is a Japanese Weekend School that is in New Rochelle or Port Chester.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! I'll take a look at each and every one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
There is a very large Asian Supermarket in the area called HMart located on Hillside Avenue. Hope this helps in some way. Good luck!
We have the same chain here in Toronto and we do go there on occasion, as we do have some other Asian chains closer. That is great that HMart is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island