Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:41 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,244,079 times

Advertisements

I don't know the Garden City area very well, but I wanted to say welcome. With your budget, you should be just fine. Where in Toronto would you be coming from? I spent a lot of time in Leaside/East York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 08:42 PM

483 posts, read 675,943 times
There is n HMart in Williston Park, an Asian Supermarket in Hempstead, and a Korean H&Y Marketplace in Hicksville area too. You will not lack for shopping.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,742,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
There is n HMart in Williston Park, an Asian Supermarket in Hempstead, and a Korean H&Y Marketplace in Hicksville area too. You will not lack for shopping.
The place in Hempstead you're describing is Vietnamese, if I recall correctly.

I think the OP is looking for specifically Japanese grocery stores. Edit: Just saw post #10-- nevermind.

Again, welcome OP!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:33 PM

18 posts, read 24,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
I don't know the Garden City area very well, but I wanted to say welcome. With your budget, you should be just fine. Where in Toronto would you be coming from? I spent a lot of time in Leaside/East York.
Well we used to live at Yonge/Eglinton but now we live in Markham, a suburb of Toronto in York Region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I think the OP is looking for specifically Japanese grocery stores. Edit: Just saw post #10-- nevermind.
By no means the Japanese-centric supermarket is still needed here , but we would get that covered with an occasional trip to Edgewater in NJ. Most of the Chinese/Korean chains carry plenty of Japanese stuff, just not all, so they would do.

Thank you for all the welcomes. I have not yet signed on the dotted line, but that time is coming next week, so there is going to be a lot of number crunching over the weekend, and looking at all the suggested places.

The reality is that I would come first, rent, and do reconnaissance in person before getting everyone out here. Wife would also come to see. This is going to be a lengthy process

Old 04-13-2014, 08:38 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,537,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikuchanca View Post
Well, I commute for just over an hour right now so something similar or shorter would be nice. The pressing issue is that we would still drive to Westchester for Japanese school on weekends or to New Jersey to this big Japanese supermarket in Edgewater I think. I would not want this weekend trip to become a "holiday road trip" because the kids already complain if they sit in the car for too long.

I think I may have read a similar article about Long Island. It said that the segregation issue is apparent all around New York City. And yes I am anxious as where I live it is like a United Nations and houses are anywhere between $400k to $1.4M and there are no issues in school. Well, not totally like the UN, the school has a pretty even mix of white, asian, and south asian...

I will take a peek at this New Hyde Park. Thanks.
Flushing should have Japanese/Asian supermarkets. No need to go to NJ for that, that's just crazy! Traffic will be insane doing that on a weekend. Flushing is in Queens and has a large Asian population.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 04-13-2014 at 08:49 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 06:15 AM

715 posts, read 1,242,071 times
There are lots of Asian/White couples on Long Island (my cousin, who is White, is married to a Chinese man and they have 3 cute boys together). As someone mentioned, people on LI might not be able to distinguish between Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc, but there are people like that on LI.

As for Asian stores, there are actually a few H-Marts on LI. There is also H&Y Market in Hicksville, which is not too far from Garden City (abotu 15-20 minutes).

Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 AM

Thank you for the replies.

One more quick question as I keep looking at the economics of the move...

It looks like we may have settled on Port Washington as an area to live, however as in many other areas, the houses are nice but old, i.e. 1920-1950'sh. Nice and big which begs a question as I am looking at the pictures of insides. Because they are old they do not have central heating/air. I keep seeing either electrical heaters by the floor or even the water heaters, sometimes air cons in the widows. So here is the question...

In approximate amounts what is an average cost for the utilities per month? (Hydro, electricity, gas, maybe even oil)

Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 AM

715 posts, read 1,242,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikuchanca View Post
Thank you for the replies.

In approximate amounts what is an average cost for the utilities per month? (Hydro, electricity, gas, maybe even oil)
Depends on the size of the house, height of ceilings, how good is the insulation, number of occupants, number of zones, how updated the oil burner/water heater/ other equipment are etc. There are number of factors to think about and unfortunately, they aren't obvious to the eye. When you get serious about a house, those are all questions you can ask the owner. Something like solar panels and a wood burning stove could change how much you spend on different things.

Personally, I live in house with one other person and a cat. We have two floors, one of which we don't use that often. We have a 1700 sq ft house. We have oil. Over the winter, we had three refills ( 2 $300 ones and 1 $400). This winter was a brutal one though, so it may never get that way again, it may happen the next winter as well.

Bottom line, Long Island has a higher cost of living. Period. There are ways around it and I know people on this board can point you in the direction of ways to save.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:25 PM

Okellies, yes I know there are multiple variables that actually will determine the final outcome, still I need something average. For example here are my average monthly bills for a 2,000sq.ft home:

Gas................................$80
Water/Electricity..............$200....it is a combined bill so I can not separate these two & we are heavy users
TV/Internet/Phone/Mobile...$300....middle of the pack plans with nothing outrageous in terms of data and speed...HD

I priced out a Verizon TV/Internet/Phone bundle and mobile for about $175 so it seems much cheaper over there.

and one more...

Car Insurance..................$280.....for two cars...nothing special....mid market...3 and 9 years...clean record

If you were to throw numbers what do these numbers look vis-a-vis Long Island?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:41 PM

483 posts, read 675,943 times
Water on LI is dep on municipality. Ours is public so we pay 100/yr. Other people pay much more, dep on town

We average 400/month on oil, including winter and summer included, small home

3.65 gas/gallon for autos

electricity we average 90/month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island