Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:07 AM

61 posts, read 153,218 times

Advertisements

Soon i will be moving to East Rockaway from Astoria, Queens. Bought my first house. Back in NYC i biked EVERYWHERE and pretty long distances. I grew up in Long island but havent biked there since i was a kid. Does anybody have any suggestions where i could do a few nice long rides? Nothing really under 10 miles. This is how i get my exercise and will hopefully be biking 3-5 days a week. I have a road bike, so nothing off rode or dirt trails or anything like that.

I'm hoping Long Island get a bit more bike friendly with more bike lanes and generally more pro biking.

Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:14 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Bikes are for bike paths...stay off my streets.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Bikes are for bike paths...stay off my streets.
Uh yea that's why i asked where a good place to ride is.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:52 AM

5 posts, read 11,737 times
There is a great bike trail that goes from Cedar Creek Park in Wantagh to Jones Beach. Its about 4 miles to the beach and you can continue down Ocean Parkway if you are looking for additional miles.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeKat View Post
There is a great bike trail that goes from Cedar Creek Park in Wantagh to Jones Beach. Its about 4 miles to the beach and you can continue down Ocean Parkway if you are looking for additional miles.
Thanks! I just read something about them making an extension path to Tobay Beach. Did that open yet do you know? Here's an article:

Ocean Parkway Pedestrian Path Coming in May | Long Island Press

Old 02-24-2014, 11:35 AM

294 posts, read 743,886 times
Another good one runs through Massapequa Preserve. If you're on the south shore you can start either at Massapequa Lake on Merrick Road, or just a bit further north under the train trestle at Sunrise Highway. It will take you all the way up to Bethpage Park in Bethpage and it was recently extended further north but I haven't taken the extension all the way to the end to let you know exactly where it ends.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:52 AM

409 posts, read 512,207 times
Default Brookhaven Bike Trails

Brookhaven Town has a number of biking trails for the biking enthusiasts.
Download trail maps ... Managed by Town of Brookhaven and Suffolk County
Parks ...
Visit Brookhaven | Trail Biking in Brookhaven - 34k - Cached - Similar Pages

Old 02-24-2014, 02:20 PM

236 posts, read 473,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco 612 View Post
Soon i will be moving to East Rockaway from Astoria, Queens. Bought my first house. Back in NYC i biked EVERYWHERE and pretty long distances. I grew up in Long island but havent biked there since i was a kid. Does anybody have any suggestions where i could do a few nice long rides? Nothing really under 10 miles. This is how i get my exercise and will hopefully be biking 3-5 days a week. I have a road bike, so nothing off rode or dirt trails or anything like that.

I'm hoping Long Island get a bit more bike friendly with more bike lanes and generally more pro biking.

Thanks for any feedback.
Not a designated bike path/lane but I used to ride a street route that weaved through Hewlett Harbor (easily accessible from East Rockaway), Lawrence, over the Atlantic Beach Bridge, Long Beach (on and off the boardwalk) and back through Island Park and Oceanside. It's about a 15- to 20-mile ride depending on where you start and finish. Much of the route is outlined in a book called Short Bike Rides on Long Island, but I changed the route in some spots where smaller residential streets were available as an alternative to busy roads.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:48 PM

110 posts, read 215,405 times
my friends ride from soho to the lighthouse in montauk once in a while. they have to take the train back to the city but thats a good long ride.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC51 View Post
Not a designated bike path/lane but I used to ride a street route that weaved through Hewlett Harbor (easily accessible from East Rockaway), Lawrence, over the Atlantic Beach Bridge, Long Beach (on and off the boardwalk) and back through Island Park and Oceanside. It's about a 15- to 20-mile ride depending on where you start and finish. Much of the route is outlined in a book called Short Bike Rides on Long Island, but I changed the route in some spots where smaller residential streets were available as an alternative to busy roads.
This is awesome, especially that it's so close to where i will be living. Thanks alot! There a seperate lane that bikes can go over atlantic beach bridge?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island