Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 04:38 PM
A&H A&H started this thread

108 posts, read 456,347 times

Advertisements

so my wife and i would like to start biking on long island's many bike trails (green belt) and we like to know if a hybrid bike is suitable for these trails or we are better of with a mountain bike. i know some of these trails are dirt and gravel so not sure what to get. we don't plan to go crazy riding, just like to get some exercise done. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 05:14 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&H View Post
so my wife and i would like to start biking on long island's many bike trails (green belt) and we like to know if a hybrid bike is suitable for these trails or we are better of with a mountain bike. i know some of these trails are dirt and gravel so not sure what to get. we don't plan to go crazy riding, just like to get some exercise done. thank you.
Many parts of the greenbelt tail prohibit bicycles in parts: (Niss. River State Park, Connetquot River - trust me , I have tried to ride there). Also Caleb Smith, which is a gem.
A hybrid bike will allow you to ride on hard packed dirt trails. A mountain bike , having much fatter tires, gives you access to trails with tree roots, rocks, etc. - and its gear systems give a greater diversity of gears, allowing you to pedal up steep hills . Mtn bikes have better braking systems also (many have rotors and stop well when wet).
If you're looking to ride at places such as Cathedral Pines, Hither Hills (Montauk) , or the woods at Bethpage State Park, Sunken Meadow, or off road at Caumsett (another gem) you will want a mountain bike. It's just too dangerous to attempt those trails on a hybrid.
The hybrid is fine for the Bethpage Bikeway (down to Massapequa, up to Plainview) which is asphalt. Also for hard packed flat dirt trails you may find in some of the state parks.

The hybrid is fine for casual riding , and will require less energy from the rider since its tires are thinner and have less friction on the road surface. If you're sticking to hard packed or asphalt flat trails , a hybrid is fine..

Old 02-22-2014, 07:47 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Not much to add... I got a mountain bike for their versatility and my wife got a hybrid - we're riding mostly paved roads (Bethpage and Massapequa Preserve) with our kids. I think you'll be perfectly fine with either one.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/

Old 02-22-2014, 11:14 PM
A&H A&H started this thread

108 posts, read 456,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Many parts of the greenbelt tail prohibit bicycles in parts: (Niss. River State Park, Connetquot River - trust me , I have tried to ride there). Also Caleb Smith, which is a gem.
A hybrid bike will allow you to ride on hard packed dirt trails. A mountain bike , having much fatter tires, gives you access to trails with tree roots, rocks, etc. - and its gear systems give a greater diversity of gears, allowing you to pedal up steep hills . Mtn bikes have better braking systems also (many have rotors and stop well when wet).
If you're looking to ride at places such as Cathedral Pines, Hither Hills (Montauk) , or the woods at Bethpage State Park, Sunken Meadow, or off road at Caumsett (another gem) you will want a mountain bike. It's just too dangerous to attempt those trails on a hybrid.
The hybrid is fine for the Bethpage Bikeway (down to Massapequa, up to Plainview) which is asphalt. Also for hard packed flat dirt trails you may find in some of the state parks.

The hybrid is fine for casual riding , and will require less energy from the rider since its tires are thinner and have less friction on the road surface. If you're sticking to hard packed or asphalt flat trails , a hybrid is fine..
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't visit any of the trails you have mentioned so I can't picture what type of road/trails they have. The only one I have gone on is the trails at stillwell woods park across from syosset high school. If you are familiar with this park, would you suggest a mtn bike or hybrid for trails at this park?

Old 02-23-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&H View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't visit any of the trails you have mentioned so I can't picture what type of road/trails they have. The only one I have gone on is the trails at stillwell woods park across from syosset high school. If you are familiar with this park, would you suggest a mtn bike or hybrid for trails at this park?
you want a mountain bike at Stillwell .It's pretty challenging.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:46 PM

321 posts, read 595,594 times
If you're going to buy a bike, please support one of the local bike stores on Long Island.

Brands in Wantagh

Bicycle Planet in Syosset

Bike Junkie in Bethpage

I have purchased from Brands and Bike Planet but not Bike Junkie. I have however, heard a lot of good things about them.

You can also check out CLIMB, which is a local mountain biking organization that volunteers their time to maintain the trails on LI.

Before we had kids, my wife and I were avid mountain bikers but now we mostly bike on the paved paths between Massapequa and Bethpage or at Heckscher State Park.

Even riding on paved paths like we do now, a regular mountain bike does the trick just fine. My personal opinion is that hybrid bikes are not a good purchase. Not because the frame is bad but mostly because the tires just don't work as designed. Modern mountain bike tires are perfectly capable of performing on and off road and hybrid tires just don't deliver once you leave the path.

I also have a road bike that I use for summer trips to Montauk via Sunrise Highway but that is a whole different beast. You can get a great mountain bike for $500. A road bike will set you back at least $2000.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:01 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
^ I'd like your opinion on the following. As much as I'd like to support local bike stores, the prices were way high and stock was limited. As you suggest, $500 for a starting point (times 2) is a bit steep for someone who just wants exercise (and a bike that won't fall apart in a year). Online - basically a warehouse with little overhead - you can get them for $250 like a Motobecane which is a good name with reputable parts where it matters.

I just wouldn't do the <$150 Walmart bikes.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ I'd like your opinion on the following. As much as I'd like to support local bike stores, the prices were way high and stock was limited. As you suggest, $500 for a starting point (times 2) is a bit steep for someone who just wants exercise (and a bike that won't fall apart in a year). Online - basically a warehouse with little overhead - you can get them for $250 like a Motobecane which is a good name with reputable parts where it matters.

Bike Junkie is best place to go for a mountain bike if you prefer brick and mortar stores vs. online IMO.
Typically the best you can get is 15% off retail at end of summer sales on high end bikes at local shops.
Many good ones around (Adams and Mineola Bike are my favorite for road bikes).

Old 02-24-2014, 06:31 AM

321 posts, read 595,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post

I don't patronize local stores just because they're local. I only shop locally if there is a value in doing so and with a local bike shop I definitely think there is value.

Most bikes when purchased online come in a box and then the consumer brings the box to a LBS to get the bike assembled anyway so any real savings becomes minimal at best.

I have a Specialized that I bought in 2006 and my wife has a Giant from 2008. Both were around $500 and neither have needed anything besides new tubes and tires. When I was in my late teens I used to be off-brand bikes and I could break them in a week. The juice is worth the squeeze.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:29 AM

126 posts, read 222,007 times
There's a used bike store in St. James that will allow you to get a nicer bike for less money. We got my daughter's bike there and I'll be going there again to get my bike modified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island