Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,664,357 times

Advertisements

In back of us. This is in the Town of Huntington where they let people build whatever they want without, it seems, any restrictions. All of the mature trees and bushes were ripped out which used to create some nice privacy along the back property line, and now there's absolutely no buffer of any kind. Looks like I'll be planting this spring. There is a small triangle of backyard left over from the construction (they're still constructing the house - a hot tub appeared yesterday, now I'm waiting to see if there will be a pool), maybe 3 feet of space up to the property line on one side of this huge house, and they sank a cesspool into the 15 or so feet left over on the other side. Front yard also has another cesspool, the yard being maybe 15 feet deep maximum.

The house is 2 stories - 3,000 per floor. The term engulfment comes to mind. This house is so out of character for the neighborhood which has mostly 1940, 1950, and 1960 charming houses, and looks so out of proportion for the lot size.

Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:12 PM

283 posts, read 586,139 times
I would give up a portion of my yard for a bigger home. People want more space now, there is a lot of construction (dormers) going on in my neighborhood

Old 01-28-2014, 01:15 PM

791 posts, read 1,635,352 times
If the Town's zoning code permits it, there's not really anything you can do about it. If you don't like the Town's codes, lobby for new ones.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:20 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,340,582 times
I've seen that in my area and also other towns and in Queens. People want bigger homes but don't want to leave the area or their block so they'd rather give up the backyard and not care that they're on top of everyone else. We've seen 700 sq ft homes on 5000 sq ft lots become McMansions.

How far is your house from the end of your property? Is there any fencing?

Old 01-28-2014, 02:06 PM

9,531 posts, read 16,004,970 times
I hear you on the privacy issue with regard to the trees. When the large one in our neighbor's backyard fell during Sandy, it opened up the skies and now it feels like we're in a new-construction area as all we see are each other's house and power lines with no green in sight. It's pretty sad.

As for your buffer, I'm sure they'll throw in a PVC fence at the end. I don't mind that, but you need green too.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:07 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,077,741 times
What's the property zoning? R20? R10?

Old 01-28-2014, 02:10 PM

133 posts, read 285,781 times
you should have bought the property. you didn't so stop complaining

Old 01-28-2014, 02:10 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,664,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I've seen that in my area and also other towns and in Queens. People want bigger homes but don't want to leave the area or their block so they'd rather give up the backyard and not care that they're on top of everyone else. We've seen 700 sq ft homes on 5000 sq ft lots become McMansions.

How far is your house from the end of your property? Is there any fencing?
Luckily we have a long backyard, and we do have a fence that will support some vines nicely. I'll be doing a little research to look for some dense bushes and trees. Also, the new house is a little bit off to the right side - we already have a house that's directly in back of us. Our backyard is pretty large, so two houses back us.

The original house was sold by the heirs and torn down completely - nothing was left, not even a brick. So legally it can't be considered a remodel. The tax bill will be sky high. Whoever is building this will be new to the area - they've never lived here before.

I went to the Town Hall months ago before the old house was demolished and got the paperwork for the new house. We had heard rumors about a 6,000 sq. ft. house going up, and I just couldn't believe it until I saw it in print. There was nothing anyone could do to stop this thing. The people who live directly across the street from this house are very upset.

We have a half dozen new houses here in our 120-house neighborhood, but all of them are in proportion with the size of the property they've been built on. They've added something positive to the neighborhood - they look good, they fit in well; all of them are "luxury" builds. This new one, purely because of its size, just looks like a monstrosity and seems so out of place.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:39 PM

267 posts, read 602,347 times
Not seeing a problem here. Someone is investing money in your area by building a home.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:20 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,007,137 times
Welcome to wrong island squeezing everyone together like a compactor!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island