Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:24 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,128,422 times

Advertisements

Any LI people here with an acre of property? We are looking at an acre and want to know what your thoughts are of an acre?

Can you hear much of your neighbor's noise or no? Do you constantly hear movers, blowers etc? Do your neighbors with IGPs constantly have pool parties with screaming kids? Or do you find it very peaceful?

I ask this b.c right now we only have 50X100 (small!) and we are looking at acres or half acres but do not know anyone who has that much and want to know what to expect.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 02:50 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,836,823 times
We have .6 of an acre. Our backyard is acres and acres of woods. We live in a developement that all the houses are on .6 and it is really nice and quiet.

Our previous house was on a 60x100 lot and boy does it look small now..

Look in Yaphank/Medford area. There is about 6 houses in our development for sale right now ; prices are around $500
Dorothy

Old 05-31-2007, 03:04 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Our previous house was on a 60x100 lot and boy does it look small now..
DId you have any complaints when you were on the 60X100? Was that one of the reasons you moved?

We feel very congested where we are and that is why we want more land, bigger house, etc. Right now, you can hear others conversations in the next house if windows are open, etc. It feels very condo/townhouselike to us many days and it drives us bonkers.

Are you happier in the .6 acre? Is it alot to upkeep? Do you do it yourself or a landscaper (and if so,what appx does the landscaper charge, just curious).

Right now we pay $24 a week just to have 50X100 maintained.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:01 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,836,823 times
We are so happy here. Our boys have so much space to play outdoors. Our backyard is totally fenced, but they still play both front and back. We do have a landscaper to cut the grass but most people here have their own rideons. We pay $40 ; BUT we know the landscaper ; he would probably charge $60.

We just felt our old house was too small, we lived on a busy road and the boys just couldnt play safely. We looked into expanding the old house, but it would have cost too much, we would have lost 1/2 of the backyard and probably still we wouldnt have been happy. So we upgraded and love living here. It is so so quiet.
dorothy

Old 05-31-2007, 07:09 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,176,956 times
Check out Laurel Hollow, the houses there are on 2 acre lots.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:13 AM

138 posts, read 602,581 times
I have .56 which is a little over a half acre.. however my property has a lot of room. I have a side yard and backyard because I'm on a corner.
My home appears larger. I have it for sale now in Manorville. This neighborhood is wonderful, peaceful and very very very friendly neighbors who never give anyone a hard time.

We have a mountain lake pool with waterfalls in the yard so it's like a resort.

Anyway, just living out east is peaceful.. Not sure where you are moving from, but my home is 3500 sq feet and it really is nice, not just saying that.

Don't know what you want to spend.

PM me if you want more info.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:54 AM

10 posts, read 35,933 times
Default 1/4 acre

We have about a quarter of an acre of property in North Babylon, wich is rare. Honestly it's one of the best things about living here- the property. our two neighbors properties across the street equal our one. This is also because our house is pretty old, built in the 30's. But it has character, and I love that.

Interested?

Old 06-05-2009, 01:22 PM

66 posts, read 233,168 times

Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM

292 posts, read 822,263 times
My sister had 1 acre - most of it behind her. Neighbors on the sides were not that far away, but it was woodsy and you couldn't see/hear anything. If the neighbors had had IGPs with pool parties you would definitely be able to hear it. But if anyone was behind her (there wasn't) - no. IN fact she could've had a pool in the back of her property and you probably wouldn't have heard it from the house!

All your questions are probably dependent on the layout of the acre, how many trees/natural sound buffers that there are, and whether the neighbors have actually kids/pools/parties.

My friend lives on .3 and the way her house is situated you can't see or hear her neighbors.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:42 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,613,866 times
The house I sold last year was on a perfectly square half acre and I loved the privacy and quiet. HOWEVER... I was very aware that two things other than the lot size had a lot to do with it.

(1) The entire east side of my property was huge (50-60 ft) mature evergreens, almost the entire back property line was the same, and there was a 5-foot yew hedge along the west property line of the backyard. So other than the frontage and the front-yard part of the west side of the lot, it was almost entirely enclosed year-round by evergreens.

(2) None of the houses within at least two lots in any direction were owned by families with young children; all the homeowners were in their 50s or older, kids grown up and gone or else in college. And none of the homes that were either next to or across the street from mine had swimming pools, although the one diagonally across the street did have a tennis court. But the worst noise from that was the thwap-thwap of ball against racquet on spring or summer evenings or weekends. No screaming, shrieking, or "Marco-Polo"-ing!

Whether the half-acre would have been a sufficient buffer if there were no evergreens and/or if the adjacent houses had kids and/or pools... honestly I'm not sure. I'm very noise-sensitive, so I suspect I would have had some issues with the child-noise factor during the summer, at least when I was outside. If there were no evergreens I would have planted them as well as installed as high a solid fence as local code would allow, even if there were no kids nearby, for privacy as well as noise control.

I do know that on the thankfully-rare occasions when my neighbor to the rear had their young grandchildren visit for the weekend during the summer, I could definitely hear them loud and clear if I was outside. But since I had new doublepane windows that I normally kept closed in order to keep pollen out of the house, there was nothing to be heard when I was indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island