Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,627 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but I'm not risking a ticket while some cop is hiding so the guy behind me can get to Checkers 2 minutes early. It's me who'll get pulled over pal, so you're gonna have to wait.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:31 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Sorry, but I'm not risking a ticket while some cop is hiding so the guy behind me can get to Checkers 2 minutes early. It's me who'll get pulled over pal, so you're gonna have to wait.
arghh happens to everyone. If it isn't cold out, I'll lower the drivers window and point to the "no turn on red" sign. it usually helps

Old 11-14-2013, 07:43 PM

562 posts, read 1,058,442 times
I saw that drop with the proliferation of red light cameras in Suffolk.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:45 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times
Except for the idiots who are at an intersection that says NO TURN ON RED EHEN LIT or NO TURN ON RED WHEN PEDESTRIANS ARE PRESENT. I have to deal with this every morning T the corner of Rt 110 and Main St. No turn when lit. When I get to the light at 5:30 am nearly every day. There is an ******* sitting there when the sign isn't lit. I flash the lights, beep,etc. them the sign lights up over their head a few minutes later NO TURN ON RED. So, essentially, they sit there for a few minutes when you can turn, the the light comes on and lets them know NOW YOU CANNOT TURN. Then I beep again to say NOW You can't turn, jackass.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:54 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Except for the idiots who are at an intersection that says NO TURN ON RED EHEN LIT or NO TURN ON RED WHEN PEDESTRIANS ARE PRESENT. I have to deal with this every morning T the corner of Rt 110 and Main St. No turn when lit. When I get to the light at 5:30 am nearly every day. There is an ******* sitting there when the sign isn't lit. I flash the lights, beep,etc. them the sign lights up over their head a few minutes later NO TURN ON RED. So, essentially, they sit there for a few minutes when you can turn, the the light comes on and lets them know NOW YOU CANNOT TURN. Then I beep again to say NOW You can't turn, jackass.
They likely don't understand the sign especially if they don't read the whole sign with the qualifier about pedestrians. However I think they are within their rights NOT to turn on red if they don't want to.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:04 PM

28 posts, read 44,958 times
Waaaaaahhhhhh.......Poor baby.....Someone honked at you.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quite some time ago I was at a red light that had two signs, right lane must turn right and no turn on red. There was a car honking his horn at me to turn with NYP Plates (NY Press), I was ready to get out of the car and ask him if he could read, who knows maybe it was a photographer.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
They likely don't understand the sign especially if they don't read the whole sign with the qualifier about pedestrians. However I think they are within their rights NOT to turn on red if they don't want to.
I disagree. I think it should be mandatory to turn right if a 'No Turn on Red' sign is not present. Would you sit at a stop sign and go when you feel like it? A red light is really just a stop sign when it comes to turning on red.
The end result of this is more congestion, longer delays, more cars cutting through residential side streets to get around this traffic. Nassau County has been putting 'no turn on red' signs EVERYWHERE the past 5 years. This did nothing toward making us safer. Sure, there might be a few less accidents, but they turned a lot what used to be safe residential streets into high traffic detour roads.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:56 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post

I agree.

A red light is NOT a "stop sign" for those turning right. It's a RED LIGHT and it's under your discretion when and if to make a right on red. If I have some douchebag behind me honking his horn? Nope, now I'm not moving until the light is green. You aren't going to tell me when it's okay to go or not go so now you can just wait.

Love the ones also who honk and wave their hands around when the sign says "NO RIGHT ON RED ON SCHOOL DAYS FROM 7AM TO 5PM". It could be 11am and they're steady honking at you to make the right. Morons.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I disagree. I think it should be mandatory to turn right if a 'No Turn on Red' sign is not present. Would you sit at a stop sign and go when you feel like it? A red light is really just a stop sign when it comes to turning on red.
The end result of this is more congestion, longer delays, more cars cutting through residential side streets to get around this traffic. Nassau County has been putting 'no turn on red' signs EVERYWHERE the past 5 years. This did nothing toward making us safer. Sure, there might be a few less accidents, but they turned a lot what used to be safe residential streets into high traffic detour roads.
When I wrote they are within their rights NOT to turn on red, I meant legally, not my opinion. I think they should if there is no traffic but they don't HAVE TO turn on red by law. If I'm not mistaken, school buses are prohibited from turning right on red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island