Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 AM

573 posts, read 1,242,793 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing new "no turn on red signs" around Nassau County. Can't think of any off the top of my head, but what a pain.

Here's an article about it: New 'No Turn on Red' Signs Installed on Hempstead Turnpike - East Meadow, NY Patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
The law allowing right hand turns at red lights after a full stop is, in my opinion, one of the most foolish traffic laws. So many people either do not come to a full stop, or pull out recklessly. I think it should be done away with all together.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
The law allowing right hand turns at red lights after a full stop is, in my opinion, one of the most foolish traffic laws. So many people either do not come to a full stop, or pull out recklessly. I think it should be done away with all together.
I have a turn where I go into work where I have a green arrow light to make a left...for some reason oncoming traffic does not have a no turn on red sign (they should), and I can't tell you how many people just blow through the light making a right without stopping when I'm making a left on a green arrow. It's not a yield sign folks.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Move to NYC, your problem would be solved.

The rest of us like to be able to not wait for the traffic light and safely make a right turn. key word is safely!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
The legislature that deals with making up these laws do not come to city data to read your complaints it would be best if you would call your local Representative.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Move to NYC, your problem would be solved.

The rest of us like to be able to not wait for the traffic light and safely make a right turn. key word is safely!

The problem is people can't drive and safely...

How would you make a right turn into a 50 mph road ???

Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Safely !!

People do it all the time driving upstate on local roads.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
While i understand what you're saying, i kinda don't agree with what you want.

What people don't get and the pd don't enforce are the clueless making the rights on red.

When you make a right on red, you need to get to that traffics speed and not pull out because there was enough room for the other coming to jump on their brakes.

OR run across to the left lane because traffic was in the right and still take your time to get to speed.

That causes all kinds of stupidity, what the pd should do is watch for this and hammer these imbeciles and then accidents will go down and they will understand what it means to right on red when safe to do so... not jump in because you can and make other slow for you.

I'd be happy with a non auto fault rear-end law and i'll fix the idiots myself, all day

More pd watching right on red and less speeding and more cell use....

Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
The problem is people can't drive and safely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Safely !!

People do it all the time driving upstate on local roads.

No no explain in detail how you would do it or rather agw123, im willing to bet you're both hazards.

Im upstate quite often and see the same stupidity there also...

So explain how you enter a 50 mph road from a right turn... and how and what is the proximity to the vehicle in the right of way.... how many feet back are they when you SAFELY enter and how ???

Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
I totally agree - worst law ever. People who make a right on red and get in an accident NEVER think they are at fault. And if you are a pedestrian with the light - forget it.

The law should have been temporary since it was enacted during the gas crisis of the 70s to keep people from idling at red lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island