Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 02:43 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,935,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Not looking to pick apart anything, but second hand information is by no means insight to all 4,000 high school students.

how would any one person responding to this inquiry have insight to 4,000 high school students' experiences? Just the fact that there ARE 4,000 HS students in the districts confirms for me what I was told by kids that went there. I think when people make inquiries they are looking for as much info as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 02:50 PM

480 posts, read 2,829,983 times
No one would be able to access that sort of information, which is exactly why you cannot make a conclusion based on information from a small population sample. 4,000 students is not a lot if they are spread out, which they are.

If students feel lost in high school then college should not be their next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
how would any one person responding to this inquiry have insight to 4,000 high school students' experiences? Just the fact that there ARE 4,000 HS students in the districts confirms for me what I was told by kids that went there. I think when people make inquiries they are looking for as much info as possible.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
No one would be able to access that sort of information, which is exactly why you cannot make a conclusion based on information from a small population sample. 4,000 students is not a lot if they are spread out, which they are.

If students feel lost in high school then college should not be their next step.
I hope the original poster would not even CONSIDER making her decision based on my single comment, after all I don't even live in the town. I only know people that do, my OPINION is based on my limited knowledge. I certainly did not claim to be an expert of any kind.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:59 PM

40 posts, read 199,670 times
Quote:
I hope the original poster would not even CONSIDER making her decision based on my single comment, after all I don't even live in the town. I only know people that do, my OPINION is based on my limited knowledge. I certainly did not claim to be an expert of any kind.
KellyFG

Thank you for responing and thank for the info.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:08 PM

you are welcome. Good luck with your decision & move.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:53 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,935 times
Quote:
There are parts of farmingville that are better than others like all middle class towns on LI. The horseblock road area is notorious for day labors standing around waiting for work. Sachem is a good district that is very large, I've known kids that graduated from there that said they felt "lost".
there are parts of Ronkonkoma that are nice, some in Sachem-some in Connetquot(ranks higher) & a lot of the homes are affordable. Some of Ronkonkoma has lower taxes too. Occaissionally I see homes for sale in Lake Grove that seem afforable too, most of that is sachem & it is considered a nice town & it has the best mall in Suffolk.
Sorry you hate Florida, good luck with your move!
I agree with Kelly, much of Lake Grove is nice. Some of Lake Grove goes to Sachem but some residents go to Middle Country School District which isn't as good. I hope you find what your looking for.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:18 PM

991 posts, read 4,619,991 times
Default Farmingville

Hi, I am in the Pat-Med district, it is just as good as Sachem. The taxes are lower and I know people that have moved out of Sachem to otherdistricts including mine because the taxes are too high. Most realtors will tell you that the houses in Sachem are way overpriced. My taxes are 5200.00 per year on 1/4 acre, my friend has a house in Ronkonkoma her property is much smaller and her taxes are 9000.00. 3 realestates told me that Sachem was not all it is cracked up to be, because of the size of the district, it was very hard for their children to be on teams, because there was too much competition.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:58 PM

480 posts, read 2,829,983 times
The Pat-Med district is a joke, and has been for at least 20 years. Real Estate agents tell you what they want you to hear, usually with alterior motives at hand.

Something is only overpriced for those who can't afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Hi, I am in the Pat-Med district, it is just as good as Sachem. The taxes are lower and I know people that have moved out of Sachem to otherdistricts including mine because the taxes are too high. Most realtors will tell you that the houses in Sachem are way overpriced. My taxes are 5200.00 per year on 1/4 acre, my friend has a house in Ronkonkoma her property is much smaller and her taxes are 9000.00. 3 realestates told me that Sachem was not all it is cracked up to be, because of the size of the district, it was very hard for their children to be on teams, because there was too much competition.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:06 PM

991 posts, read 4,619,991 times
Default Farmingville

First of all why is the Pat/Med school district a joke? It is not the best but neither is Sachem. The local Catholic schools highest enrollment comes from Sachem. I can well afford Sachem, but I thought that the taxes were a little high for the district that it was. My parents lived in Smithtown which is one of the best districts and their taxes were lower. The problems of the illegal apartments in Sachem is out of control. The problems in Farmingville, the fact that there has been near riots because of the illegal immigrant population I thought did not warrent such high housing prices and high taxes.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:53 AM
PTK

45 posts, read 153,356 times
I have lived in Holbrook since 1988. My parents taxes are over $4500, they have a Ranch 1500 Square feet with my apartment in their basement. They just went to a LIPA meeting last night. LIPA is installing Major gas Lines 3 Feet under ground along the electric lines right behind our house and in front of my Aunts house in Happauge. Everyone at metting was telling them to give them the value of their house so that they can get the hell out.

We are all moving to North Carolina. I need some peace and quite for a change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island