Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,831,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Twingles, is this it? Google Maps
For some reason the pic is loading really blurry for me but I do believe you have found it. Is that a lighthouse by the telephone pole???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun12 View Post
I am totally with you. How can people here do not understand the impact of McMansion on nearby home values? It is going to INCREASE neighborhood house values.

That really depends on what it looks like and how much it dwarfs surrounding houses. There is a street in GC, a very short street of small ranches and some dude came in and knocked his down and put up a really nice house, but it's just way too big for the block. It looks ridiculous. Of course he paid $700K for the house and probably at least $300K on the rebuild and his taxes are now about $20K so I suppose the neighbors can take comfort in that, but I assure you his neighbors are not thrilled.

Or take a street where the houses are lovely colonials and someone comes in and puts up a Queens-special fucco mansion and paves half the property. That happened to my sister with her next door neighbors in GC. It was a total nightmare, they even moved the driveway over to her side of the property. Sorry but that does not increase property value when you go into a really nice upscale area and bring your own "special" design sensibility with you.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,569,809 times
I've passed on houses next to a McMansion - and I'm not the only one. Neighborhood character is an important consideration - plus its a component of pricing.

Just like putting up chain link fences all over and concreting all your front yards and chop down all the mature trees....., see what that does to your prices!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 AM
PPL

95 posts, read 152,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun12 View Post
I am totally with you. How can people here do not understand the impact of McMansion on nearby home values? It is going to INCREASE neighborhood house values.

For me, I would be extremely happy if people keep building big houses around my house. This tells me that my location is excellent so that rich people are buying houses around me. My land value will increase, I can get better return when I sell my house. What's not to like? snobbish neighbor? as long as they do not make noise, that's fine with me.
u forget to mention that your new McMansion neighbor will increase the tax base and pay more taxes.....

Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 AM

19,244 posts, read 17,117,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Twingles, is this it? Google Maps
If thats the house it does stand out but doesn't appear to be overtly large. The lanscaping is hiddious and looks like the garden center took a giant **** on the front lawn....

Old 04-10-2013, 01:09 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,895,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPL View Post
u forget to mention that your new McMansion neighbor will increase the tax base and pay more taxes.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
and his taxes are now about $20K so I suppose the neighbors can take comfort in that
ok then... I just... can't even say it.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,739,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
In our section of Huntington (north of 25A), we're in a neighborhood of 120 houses. So far, there have been 7 tear downs resulting in huge houses being built, and one lot with a new boxy McMansion. Half of the houses needed to be torn down, the other half, not so much. Aesthetically, do they look out of place? - a little bit. We've got a contractor around the corner from us who tore down a house that needed to be gone, and he's almost finished building a 3400 sq. ft. house on a quarter acre. There's barely any space between the house and the property line on either side. I don't know how the Town of Huntington can allow such a thing.

The house looks out of proportion to the size of the lot. On the other hand, it certainly looks better than the run down house that was there originally.

I'm certain there will be more tear downs with more new huge houses being built to take their place. Our neighborhood isn't a development - every house is different with most built from 1948 through 1964. When the majority of houses become McMansions I think the charm of our neighborhood will be lost.

It makes you wonder how these people will pay the higher RE taxes on these places. I know almost all of them are considered "renovations" since the builders keep a wall or a chimney and then build everything new around them, but even so, the taxes have to be significantly higher than the original teardowns' tax bills.
Many of the towns have gotten wise to that. A much larger percentage of the original structure must remain intact or else it is considered a new build.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsaf0306 View Post
What does the bigger build do to the property value of those next to it?

I remember our RE agent when looking at a ranch, pointing out a McMansion across the street & telling us "oh look, you could eventually have THAT house (jokingly) if you buy this one" lol

Look at it from the flip side: what do the smaller houses surrounding the McMansion do for its property value? Does a person want to buy the most expensive home on the block, hoping future residents might build McMansions? And if the future residents do build McMansions, will it be keeping with the aesthetic of their McMansion, or will it make theirs pale in comparison?

Old 04-10-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsaf0306 View Post
Yeah, see this is what I mean. I could only imagine it isn't going to make you too popular among the neighbors. I wonder if anyone in history has ever gone to his neighbor before building one. Well I read once that in Colorado there is possibly a 15,000 sf cap after a really wealthy out of towner built a home that that size in Aspen. I don't know enough people to put in a house that size...
Should a homeowner in Brookhaven seek to build something which doesn't meet setbacks, or is over the height requirement, they have to get a variance. Neighbors within a prescribed distance of the subject property are sent letters by the property owner or their agent, describing the proposed project as well as notifying them of the hearing date. That's about the only time the neighbors get a say in things, and even then, they probably aren't being heard.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
If thats the house it does stand out but doesn't appear to be overtly large. The lanscaping is hiddious and looks like the garden center took a giant **** on the front lawn....
Yeah, I actually never even noticed the house. I originally posted about the landscaping, with the same exact thought as you. You should see it in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island