Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:54 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,603 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, just wanted to vent. Having moved to L.I. from Brooklyn about 15 years ago, I have been lucky to have a few good neighbors, but mostly have encountered aloof, snobby or just plain nasty people as neighbors in the three homes I've lived in out here. I know there are good, friendly , respectful people in suffolk, I just have'nt had the good fortune to move on thier blocks! Having good relations with neighbors has always been important to my wife and I, but you really don't know what people are like till you move in. I've been in this house almost two years and still have some neighbors who seem to go out of their way not to have to say hello. I have always been the guy who would come over to help jump a car, shovel snow, play ball with the kids on the street or just kick back and have a beer with a neighbor. Am I living in the past, or do I just have bad luck with neighbors?? Anyone looking for a good neighbor to buy a house on your block? (prefer w. islip or babylon.LOL)
Thanks for letting me *****. Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 04:47 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,997 times
Perhaps you should rethink the towns you choose, maybe those people are just a little to stuck up to be nice. One of my bosses lives there, I doubt he is stopping to wave hi to anyone.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:31 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
In our old house we had wonderful neighbours. We all moved out within a year.

We have been here for almost 3 years. We know the people across the street, and beside us but thats it.

Now, our most recent thing is that the other day I had the town into my house. I was moving some of MY office furniture from MY office to the basement of MY house and a neighbour made a complaint that I had a tenant in my house. The inspector came and saw immediately what I had done.

Why cant some people mind their own business or at least make sure that the accusations that they make are true. Not to mind the fact that at least 10 houses near us have tenants living in them and there is no way I would ever make a complaint.
d

Old 08-26-2007, 07:57 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,678,741 times
My neighbor shoveled my snow when I was out of town on Biz.
We babysit eachothers kids.
Come to eachothers BBQs etc

RPNY is still very small town USA.

Theyre out there but you gotta look.

C

Old 08-26-2007, 08:27 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
I grew up in north Smithtown up until when I was 20 and we moved temporarily to Selden. My family maintained nice relationships with all our neighbors there in Smithtown. The older woman across the street was like my grandmother (since my last one had died when I was 9). I always thought of her as another grandmother to me. When a new kid moved to the neighborhood, I went out of my way to introduce myself and asked them if they wanted to play. My surrounding block was pretty nice to one another. We always helped one another out whenever we needed it.

Then when we moved to Selden, no one really ever said hi to us. If anything, they kind of looked at us just to check out who the new neighbors were. We were just renting this house, but still. Lots of people in this area were renters, so I guess those neighborhoods don't tend to be close-knit.

Then we moved back to Smithtown a year and a half later. It was still north Smithtown, only about a 3 minute drive from my old neighborhood. There were quite a few 2 family houses on this block, and we were renting this one as well. I had 2 unpleasant experiences with neighbors. Well, I'm sure you all remember when we had that ice storm this past winter, plus extra snow around that. I was outside shoveling by myself, and my neighbor next door (about a 40 year old man) was outside shoveling too. I was really having a lot of trouble (I'm tiny), and he was just standing there blatantly staring at me. He was just watching me have lots of trouble shoveling this. I thought it was one of the rudest things I've experienced. You see a 23 year old small girl trying to shovel this ice/snow, and a 40 year old man standing there staring at me and watching me have trouble. You would think he would have the decency to ask me if I needed help, but no! He also did this the next day when I was trying to get ice off of my car. So yeah, not a pleasant experience in this neighborhood. Moreso than Selden.

I hope when I buy a house (probably Smithtown), I'll have good neighbors like I did growing up. I'm hoping to buy in that same neighborhood.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:16 AM

7,936 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
My neighbor shoveled my snow when I was out of town on Biz.
We babysit eachothers kids.
Come to eachothers BBQs etc

RPNY is still very small town USA.

Theyre out there but you gotta look.

C
c,
Are you sure you don't have "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence syndrome" regarding CT? You look like you've good friends and neighbors in Rocky Point. Got a good house. Maybe you've already found contentment, but just don't realize it yet?
When I get fed up of LI, I just turn off channel 12, chuck Newsday in the trash, and just focus on MY 40X100

Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
c,
Are you sure you don't have "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence syndrome" regarding CT? You look like you've good friends and neighbors in Rocky Point. Got a good house. Maybe you've already found contentment, but just don't realize it yet?
When I get fed up of LI, I just turn off channel 12, chuck Newsday in the trash, and just focus on MY 40X100
Its funny you should say that.

We're reevaluating right now.

Its hard to pass on what CT can offer value wise.

But is very hard to pass on what Rocky Point can offer Values wise

C

BTW
As I post from my front lawn
My neighbor just stopped by to see if we needed anything(open house today).
I'm gonna miss it here.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:58 AM

553 posts, read 1,935,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Its funny you should say that.

We're reevaluating right now.

Its hard to pass on what CT can offer value wise.

But is very hard to pass on what Rocky Point can offer Values wise

C

BTW
As I post from my front lawn
My neighbor just stopped by to see if we needed anything(open house today).
I'm gonna miss it here.
Hey clam sometimes we find out what we were looking for, was right in front of us the whole time. Peace and I hope you are happy whatever you decide.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Hey clam sometimes we find out what we were looking for, was right in front of us the whole time. Peace and I hope you are happy whatever you decide.
Thanks for the well wishes 62.

Itll happen when it should , if it should.

All the best

C

Old 08-26-2007, 11:52 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
You know what, clamboy. I am betting that you are here this time next year & not on the Connecticut site under the thread :Anybody move to Connecticut and wish they hadn't ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island